Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Bulgaria / Kosovo

Comments

• Cullen named man of the match Ireland vs Bulgaria 
    Bollocks
  • Cullen named man of the match Ireland vs Bulgaria 
    Bollocks
    Exactly 
  • Poor second half by us.
  • GCHQ at half time: "Lads. Do you know exactly how many Serbs we bombed the everloving fuck out of? Make them look like a real country"
  • Awful 2nd half think Kosovo will nab 2nd bear Czech next month and job done. 
  • Tactically inept manager. Kosovo changed tactics, we persisted with Barkley and Henderson. 

I’m still not sold on Southgate.
  • He had a chance to trial a few different approaches this break - Disappointed that the likes of Maddison and Mount didnt get more time ahead of some in midfield, even Winks didnt get a run out!!

Hope it was that reason that Keane started ahead of Gomez each time too as thats the only swap Id make in the back four
  • Odds on LB managing England one day? .......... don’t think anyone would have considered it a remote possibility a short while ago but IMO he is one of the best young English managers around
  • Thought Rice and Keane were hopeless Henderson shit and the two full backs average at best when defending.

Think Southgate is going the way of many previous England managers in that we are so fucking predictable, a good side will close us down at the back and we will simply give the ball away, we are not good enough at playing out from the back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Defence is poor, midfield is average, attack is world class.

Against sides in this group it's clear our attack will win us games, but against the bigger and better nations at a tournament we'll come unstuck. 

However, over the past couple of years it's still been a much better England side than most of us have been used to in our lifetime though.
  • I like and rate Gareth Southgate but he needs to get the defence working together better. And how is Keane picked ahead of Joe Gomez? Sort it aahht. 

• I like and rate Gareth Southgate but he needs to get the defence working together better. And how is Keane picked ahead of Joe Gomez? Sort it aahht. 
    He's picked because he sings a good version of 'We Might as We Be Strangers' to his team-mates on Karoake night
  • Davo55 said:
    I like and rate Gareth Southgate but he needs to get the defence working together better. And how is Keane picked ahead of Joe Gomez? Sort it aahht. 
    I've had an idea. What about bringing in Chris Powell as defensive coach?
  • Our attack is frightening, so quick, so much skill and class. They’re young still too and that’s exciting. Sterling has quickly became one of the best players in the world at what he does and he now believes in his ability too. Thank you Pep.

Our midfield is not good enough as a unit right now. Good players but doesn’t function in a way a top national side needs it to. No idea why we play Rice and Henderson together, and then Barkley with them. Don’t really get what Rice adds to the team right now, nor do I believe he has done enough to be starting, but maybe there isn’t another sitting midfielder playing regularly enough in the Premier League so we have no choice to include him? Henderson is by far the better player though. No idea why and how Mount has got into this squad and is now ahead of Maddison. What does Maddison have to do to get a chance like Mount has got? One season in the Championship and being Lampard’s love child doesn’t warrant that. Incredible how Barkley can’t get in ahead of him at Chelsea but does for England. In a way, how can Mount be called up and played but Foden not if you’re going on what they’ve done. Lots of work to do in the midfield. We lack a box to box, we lack someone who is going to score goals from that position and take the pressure off the front three, and we lack a real commanding ball-winne. Rice might be that in future but certainly isn’t now. Someone like Oxlade-Chamberlain needs to play regularly for Liverpool because a fit and firing Ox could be an asset for England.

Defence is a bit of a mess to be completely honest. Going forward Alexander-Arnold is fantastic, going the other way he needs to improve. His positioning isn’t great and is lucky he has pace to recover, it makes up for it, but there is definite room for improvement.

Maguire reads the game well and is fairly solid, but he can expose us too much, especially against better opponents. Keane is not good enough to start for England. Gomez is miles better, as is Stones but he’s injured. For me, Keane is 4th choice at best, but that’s my opinion. Gomez has proved he is great on the ball, can step out into the right back role to cover TAA when he pushes forward, and still remember when he had Neymar in his pocket all game against Brazil.

At left back, it is a bit of an issue for me. Rose is very good still but not a long term option, Chilwell is very good but have question marks over his defending and ability to not get beaten. Hopefully Powell’s influence will help his game. Other than those two, we have Shaw but he’s always injured so isn’t worth adding into the thinking right now.

Overall, this England side is exciting and only going to get better because they’re so young and thankfully getting the chance to play regularly in the Premier League. We have some fantastic talent at our disposal, but we also have some areas with much room for improvement and I think it would be wise to recognise that because pretty much every other top national side has a better 3 in midfield than us right now in my opinion. That’s where I would focus on. The defence will improve with time and experience. We just really lack a top class midfielder. 
  • Rice is mustard and will be playing for England for a long time. 
  • JT said:
    JT said:
    Brother just sent me that pic- He does the England home games PA announcing. 

And in my first month working at Southampton, I will be in charge of England hospitality at St Mary's Tuesday, whilst he stadium announces. Ridiculous really ! 

Ps Matt Le Tissier's tipple is a Malibu. Oo er. 
    Is your brother no longer playing at any level mate 
    This is my eldest brother 

Johan is back at Folkestone, scored today in FA Cup win at Whitsable 

I'm just the shit brother lol 

How dod did he find the pro ranks mate , it was Hull he ended up at wasn’t it 
    Yeah that's it mate. Like most youngsters, rarely given a chance.did well for u23s, surgery on both shoulders during time there - De Gale and him had t the same surgery date in Manchester funnily enough. But yeah, Only Jarrod Bowen from his team did anything really. Oh and Harry Maguire and Andy Robertson ! 

Interesting and bloody long day today. Was dying to get a pic with Sir Chris, but didn't want to be that guy. Looked focus. Keane and Wright both in the bar after, both as you see them to be fair. 

The FA were my biggest pain in the arse today, in terms of hospitality. Picky. 

• JTJT
    edited September 2019

Me (right) brother (England PA) left 
    England squad (behind!)
  • Great entertainment, nice to see a team come to play football. Southgate needs to stop messing around and decide who his best defenders and midfielders are, and stick with it.   
  • Sponsored links:

• I posted similar on twitter, but that was pretty embarrassing! i know we scored 5 but seriously we played Kosovo. 
    CB pairing, awful, Maguire probably starts but we need someone more mobile to partner him. 
    Midfield, i dont like at all. Henderson/ Barkley and Rice. IMO Winks should be starting, Ali too if he was picked
    Kane/ Sterling our world class players, Sancho has the potential to join them in the next couple of years. 

I didn't find it entertaining either for a game with 8 goals and a penalty the footy was quite poor imo. Hate to be negative but if we played any half decent team we would have got hammered last night based on performance and the starting 11. 

Back to club football, kind off lost interest in International weekends. Roll on Euros thats a different buzz
  • edited September 2019
    Enjoyable match and Kosovo must take immense credit for that. Ok, there were quite a few issues from England's perspective, but far more useful to Southgate than a standard 3 or 4 nil. To be fair, some issues from Kosovo's perspective too. They are a very decent side, but were too open in the first half against a World class attack.
  • I posted similar on twitter, but that was pretty embarrassing! i know we scored 5 but seriously we played Kosovo. 
    CB pairing, awful, Maguire probably starts but we need someone more mobile to partner him. 
    Midfield, i dont like at all. Henderson/ Barkley and Rice. IMO Winks should be starting, Ali too if he was picked
    Kane/ Sterling our world class players, Sancho has the potential to join them in the next couple of years. 

I didn't find it entertaining either for a game with 8 goals and a penalty the footy was quite poor imo. Hate to be negative but if we played any half decent team we would have got hammered last night based on performance and the starting 11. 

Back to club football, kind off lost interest in International weekends. Roll on Euros thats a different buzz
    England didn't get out of 1st gear, so impossible to say how we'd get on against a better team.

We were 5-1 up at HT!
  • It's clear that the defence needs to be sorted out. We're not very good playing out from the back (as proven against Holland in the Nations league semi). But i think Maguire and TAA pick themselves, we just need to find out the best LB (Shaw/Rose/Chilwell) and best CB (Gomez/Stones/Keane) to fit in 

Midfield has potential with plenty of options to come in to the side who weren't there last night (Foden, Mount, Maddison, Alli).

Up front, we're as good as any international side in the world. 

England didn't get out of 1st gear, so impossible to say how we'd get on against a better team.

We were 5-1 up at HT!
    I know that, but i just didn't enjoy it. I know we were never going to lose/ draw but some of the players do not feel me with much hope at all.  
    Mad to day a game with so many goals i didn't like or find entertaining, maybe just me? 
  • It's clear that the defence needs to be sorted out. We're not very good playing out from the back (as proven against Holland in the Nations league semi). But i think Maguire and TAA pick themselves, we just need to find out the best LB (Shaw/Rose/Chilwell) and best CB (Gomez/Stones/Keane) to fit in 

Midfield has potential with plenty of options to come in to the side who weren't there last night (Foden, Mount, Maddison, Alli).

Up front, we're as good as any international side in the world. 
    All very good points, not quite convinced with TAA, although he is young, i would have Chilwell for now LB. Midfield we do have alot of potential but we need to find a good mix. One of the 3 last night i wouldn't mind (you could make a case for either) just as a 3 it looks weak and doesn't feel me with confidence. 

Hopefully we can build on the world cup, i still think that was a one off as we wont be so open in any other game. 
  • TAA is probably the best RB in world football at the moment.
    Disagree, i think he is good with alot of potential but i dont think he is 'best in the world', needs to work on his defence. Was poor last night in bits.. 

If Trips was back to his old self or how he has been playing for Athletico i would start him ahead for the time being, but obviously not much in it.