Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The saddest song you know

Comments

• Options
    In the wee small hours of the morning

By....

https://youtu.be/MiPUv4kXzvw
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I Want You

Elvis Costello 

https://youtu.be/knTvHRz_qnU
  • Options
    Hold On - Good Charlotte
    The Victim - Headeast.
  • Options
    Walker Brothers - the sun ain't gonna shine anymore
  • Options
    Dance with my father - Luther Vandross
    Gets my vote. Put it on in my car and explained the jist of the song at the start to my 11 year old son and told him to listen as it’s a really nice song. Driving along in silence listening intently, at the end I turn to him to ask his opinion of it and he’s in sobs of tears, snot dripping down his face the lot lol bless him. 
  • Options
    More than words - Extreme
    Really? It always struck me as a thinly disguised "why won't you shag me?" song.
  • Options
    Queen - These Are The Days Of Our Lives
  • Options
    Nessun Dorma always sets me off
  • Options
    “Sometimes I feel like a motherless child” - Van Morrison ( and other artists ) is not very cheery . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ll be missing you - Puff Daddy ft Faith Evans 
    One of the few examples where even those who don’t like rap would find it hard to argue that the original was better.
  • Options
    Plan B - Cast a Light
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    More than words - Extreme
    Really? It always struck me as a thinly disguised "why won't you shag me?" song.
    I already have quite a few of those songs... 
  • Options
    Sylvia's Mother by Dr Hook
  • Options
    Smile Nat King Cole
  • Options
    I love The Winner Takes It All by Abba for its sadness.
  • Options

Martin Rossiter - Three Points on a Compass

Is this not the saddest song ever written?

It describes how he feels about his father. Incredibly frank. 
    You might be right, beautiful album.
  • Options
    So, to sum up, there are a lot of good, sad songs. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    So, to sum up, there are a lot of good, sad songs. 
    Excellent Summary
  • Options
    I fill up every time I hear A Change Is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke, not that the lyrics are sad; they're more angry and awake than anything. It just such a beautifully melancholy melody, and that voice...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kiss and say goodbye - The Manhattans
    Worked for me!
  • Options
    MISTY BLUE
  • Options
    edited September 2019
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    When you say the saddest song you know, do you mean by the lyrics?  the way it makes you feel?  reminds you of the past?

Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla.  I guess most would think its an uplifting song but I well up like a loon when I listen to it for no apparent reason.  No idea why.

One of my baby daughters toys plays the same tune as my dear old Nan's jewellery box.  That absolutely destroys me and I had to keep walking out the room into the garden.  My wife has hidden the toy away now.

And totally randomly, we was out somewhere in the summer and we heard an ice cream van play a tune that I hadn't heard for 35 years and it took me right back to my childhood, sitting in my Nan's garden with my Grandad on the Downham Estate during the summer holidays.  The only place I'd ever hear that tune was there.  There was no other ice cream van that played that tune.  I didn't think to record it but I hummed it back into the voice recorder on my phone and played it back to my Mum and Brother and they both remembered it.  Ah FFS.  I feel proper sad now :(
    Yes John...Carpenters 'It's only just begun' was played at my sisters funeral (Jan 2017), I really struggle if I ever here it....she would have been 64 yesterday, she was my little sis, I've got two older then her...both are very well....I'm just short of being 54 btw.
  • Options
    Glad all over. 
  • Options
    Nights in white satin - The Moody Blues.
  • Options
    When the Tigers broke free - Pink Floyd
  • Options
    John Wayne Gacy, JR -Sujan Stevens
    Drop - Mark Kozelek
    Carissa- Sun Kil Moon
    Anna Begins- Counting Crows