Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Birmingham | Sat 14 Sept | 3pm KO | Post-Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Why are refs so reluctant to book keepers for time-wasting? Genuine question. What do they think will happen if they do?
  • Options
    Well if hamed thinks he deserves a place he better shape  up.
  • Options
    Missed Taylor but might have scraped a draw. Hemed and Oztumer poor and Leko needs to learn when to pass.

Poor ref let Bham break up play.
  • Options
    Put this in the match thread

1-0 down 80 minutes gone 1 sub remaining, striker sat on the bench and you bring a midfielder on, what is the point in having Bonne on the bench if he isnt coming on when we are losing with 10 ninutes to go and chasing a goal.

If Bowyer doesnt think he is good enough yet even for that 10 minutes then why not loan him, i am sure Orient would have taken him back on loan and then he would have had league football experience
  • Options
    If a player kicks another player (Pearce) then it’s a red card. For some reason this ref only gave a yellow.
    Not sure why we waited until going a goal down to have a proper go, but there was no outlet up front and we were relying on a midfielder to come up with a goal. 
    Still a great start to the season though.
    Not sure about the criticism of Field, his role was clearly to protect the back four, which I thought he did effectively.
  • Options
    Looked so jaded all round today. 
    Thought Lockyer had a good game.
    Big side Brum,  who kept shape throughout, defended well and broke effectively. 
    Absolutely predictable from us, with a 100 year anniversary distraction.

I fear Taylor's absence is just a handy excuse, and wonder how we are going to cope next time we play the likes of a Birmingham.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hemed must have been kept on because Bowyer knew Taylor is out for a stretch, and he needs Hemed match fit.
    Main problem for me is that it was clear very early on that Field and Oztumer through the middle was not working, but Bowyer did not change it until we were a goal down. Bowyer needs to change things earlier when they are not working.
  • Options
    Why was Bowyer sent off, does anyone know?

Can only presume it was over protesting for a corner we didnt get
    Bowyer got the ball and hurled it from 4-5 metres away directly at one of their back room staff.
  • Options
    I've been called out on the player marks thread for giving Purrington a 7.

I concede that he didn't have his best game going forward but I thought he was his usual solid self.

I see people marking him at 5 and others saying he had his worst game in a Charlton shirt but not much description of what it was that he was struggling with today.
  • Options
    Garbage, pretty subdued atmosphere too. 
  • Options
    Oh, subs:

- Kayal looked well off it but in no way can we write him off yet (same with Hemed). A lot of rust to shake off I would suspect.

- Aneke didn't retain possession in the target man fashion he kept attempting. He's far better trying to use that muscle while running than holding up.

- Williams game-changer and it's really annoying we felt we had to "manage" him after he played a full 90 for Wales.

The referee was not up to standard in my opinion. But you get them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brum came for a point and got three. With the upcoming games and the fact that Taylor looks like he's going to be out for a while I can see us being mid-table come October. Don't think the forwards we have are up to the mark yet. They need time to bed in.
  • Options
    Good first ten and good last twenty, other than that didn’t think we looked our best today. Other than that too many poor decisions in the final third. Too often we kept taking one too many touches or going back towards a player again once we had created space.

Hemed is a very different striker to lyle and they need to quickly work out how to get the best out of him with the squad we have.

Birmingham were workman like, you know what you are gonna get from them and we fell hook line and sinker for their approach 

• Options
    Hemed was unimpressive sure, but the main problem was Field, who did not provide an outlet for our back four, leading them to pass it sideways at the back, and Oztumer, who made nothing in the 10 position on the odd occasion we did get it forward. This was all obvious after 20 minutes but Bowyer did not change it until 60 when we were a goal down.
  • Options
    Welcome to the Championship!

I guess!
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Garbage, pretty subdued atmosphere too. 
    Yep I noticed the atmosphere was pretty flat concidering where we are in the league. 
    Hopefully only a blip and the valley will be rocking when we smash Leeds 
  • Options
    Agree Croydon & AFKA
    Thought Birmingham controlled game from midfield well that our confidence lacked getting out our half. 
    Bowyer said they would be difficult to play against.
    Our passing sloppy sometimes.
    Missed consistent marshalling of Prattley which Field is not yet there. Not convinced Hamed / Oztumer worked. Kayal look class but needs time. 
    Credit to the full away end for adding to the great atmosphere.
    COYR
  • Options
    I've been called out on the player marks thread for giving Purrington a 7.

I concede that he didn't have his best game going forward but I thought he was his usual solid self.

I see people marking him at 5 and others saying he had his worst game in a Charlton shirt but not much description of what it was that he was struggling with today.
    That was me. Didn’t mean to call you out, but I did think it was a very strange score. He was so poor with the ball at his feet. Defensively ok but still the worst of the back four imo. 
  • Options
    Aneke is either woeful or outstanding. No inbetween for him
  • Options
    I thought Birmingham’s support was good to be fair. Keep right on is a cracking song.
  • Options
    No shot for their keeper to save until 70 mins according to the Brum comm.