Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Birmingham | Sat 14 Sept | 3pm KO | Post-Match Views

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2019
    wasn't there .. it seems that just as last season, no Taylor due to injury, no points .

Can't remember exactly but I think Richard Cawley tweeted yesterday that in the 5 games previous to yesterday that Taylor hasn't played for us (injury/suspension/intl duty) that our record is  w2, d2, l1.
  • Options
    If Hemed is going to play regularly, we need to change things around a bit. Yesterday he hardly seemed to touch the ball and it felt like we were playing with ten men.

Maybe he could occasionally move out to the wing like Taylo does - if only to confuse the defenders - or withdraw into mdfield for periods to open space behind his marker for Leko or Williams.

Or we knock a few more balls up onto his head to give him a chance?
  • Options
    In reflection, it would have been better to have Cullen in the Field position as he is better at fetching and carrying, which we missed in the first hour.
  • Options
    Amazing how some of you go from Promotion chasers to doom and gloom and anything other then bottom 4 is a bonus etc.

Chill, we lost game which was going to happen.

I fancy us to go to Wigan and come back with 3 points.

Lets just go game by game.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for your post, @StigThundercock.

I always say that I don't appreciate the finer points of football , just comment on what I see during a match.

But your post includes interesting & informative snippets about individual players and the roles they play which I won't have considered.

I especially liked the comment about Josh Cullen which explained the reason why I felt he wasn't at his best on Saturday. 

Please continue to provide this kind of analysis - they're much appreciated. 

( Mind you, if it's information on players' thighs, I'm your "man" !)   
  • Options
    Did anybody see that Birmingham fan run on the pitch to get rid of that flare? He tried to go back to the stands after and got kicked out lol 

Strange that one, have some sympathy especially as he obviously hadn't thrown it in the first place. But he shouldn't have run on the pitch; instant 'out the door'. Although to be fair, no one else was doing much about it.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Did anybody see that Birmingham fan run on the pitch to get rid of that flare? He tried to go back to the stands after and got kicked out lol 

Strange that one, have some sympathy especially as he obviously hadn't thrown it in the first place. But he shouldn't have run on the pitch; instant 'out the door'. Although to be fair, no one else was doing much about it.
    Yes the stewards were being pathetically slow to deal with it, when surely a flare being thrown on the pitch from a lively away end is something they would be trained to deal with.
  • Options
    Phillips: important saves kept us in it, distribution desperately needs lots of work
    Solly: really good, composed and furious with Hemed's lack of movement/effort throughout
    Lockyer: decent
    Pearce: decent, solid, took one for the team with his yellow and did Davis a massive favour with that ridiculous assault late on
    Purrington: decent
    Cullen: not entirely comfortable on the right of the diamond, he's better used at the base or as one of 2 central mids in front of back 4
    Leko: industrious, willing, strong, looks like he could be dangerous but final ball/decision somewhat lacking
    Gallagher: industrious, willing, strong but Charlton didn't keep hold of the ball far enough forward for him to show his class
    Field:  didn't do much wrong but he's not as good as Pratley especially against more physical sides like Brum, he's no Krystian Bielik
    Oztumer: we couldn't get him the ball in areas where he could hurt Brum, he didn't do much wrong, he didn't get the chance to do much wrong
    Hemed: my physio/trainer mate said straight off 'he's 10 kilos overweight, looks like he's carrying a bag of cement' TH couldn't have trapped that bag of cement either, is he pony or just so unfit he's nowhere near being selectable, my crowd were astonished he came out for the 2nd half, let alone never got the hook, Solly and Purrington constantly on his case for his dreadful lack of movement, he can't have knackered himself cos he barely moved.  Vv poor.  Macauley Bonne must be due a start if that's all Hemed is prepared to offer.
    Williams: Without possession in dangerous areas he couldn't influence much

Aneke: no real chance to influence much
    Kayal: two absolutely risible attempts as simple crosses, blasted miles over and beyond the target, do not auger well for his talents

Referee: people say that referees make mistakes, this cannot be denied.  Donohue's faults can't have been mistakes - seeing something take place and then not applying the rules, isn't a mistake, it is deliberately doing it wrong. He didn't have much at all to contend with, rightly booked Pearce for the blatant block.  Donohue had an unimpeded view of Davis firstly raise his knee into Pearce's midriff - violent conduct, then lash out again when Pearce wanted to get the ball down to set up the free kick, violent conduct again, Donohue watches that and raises a yellow card.  Not a mistake, blatant choice to not apply the rules.  Minutes later Davis cynically, blatantly blocks/trips Gallagher, free kick , no further sanction.  Pearce, Dean and Gimenez all booked, rightly, for similar fouls, Davis, who should already be off the field, is spared a second caution - again blatant choice to misapply the rules.  That's not making mistakes, that's flat out corrupt - not cos Brum have tapped him up, just cos Donohue is not fit for purpose, or a cheat, probably both.  He booked Clotet for throwing a ball on the pitch to waste time, fair enough, but then red cards Bowyer for throwing a ball at the Brum bench, what the actual..?  Cheat.
    Probably didn't affect the outcome of the match, hard to tell, Davis would only have missed about 16 minutes.  Pricks like Donohue devalue the whole competition.
    When I realised Hemed was being kept on, I knew Taylor was badly injured
     Bowyer kept him on to help him get match fit, as he knew it was urgent.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    probably old news by now .. Bowyer quote after the game .. “Lyle [Taylor]’s not good. It’s worse than what we first thought it was going to be so he’s going to miss a period now, so we’ll have to adapt. We’ve got a good squad. Obviously it’s disappointing for us but that’s the game unfortunately. 
  • Options
    Thanks for your post, @StigThundercock.

I always say that I don't appreciate the finer points of football , just comment on what I see during a match.

But your post includes interesting & informative snippets about individual players and the roles they play which I won't have considered.

I especially liked the comment about Josh Cullen which explained the reason why I felt he wasn't at his best on Saturday. 

Please continue to provide this kind of analysis - they're much appreciated. 

( Mind you, if it's information on players' thighs, I'm your "man" !)   
    Always happy to please Fanny.
    Can't say that players' thighs attract much attention, beyond their crucial role in connecting players' hips to their knees.  Being a 21st century fully woke liberal sort of a fella, objectification of physiques or parts thereof, falls outwith acceptable topics for discussion 😉 
  • Options
    ReeCAFC15 said:
    Think pretty much everyone's summed it up. Seen a couple of comments about the atmosphere. Wasn't awful today but thought the J block was almost silent after the first 10 mins. H block definitely seems to start a lot more chants nowadays. Atmosphere's been class since the start of last season as we kept playing well and winning but it can become pretty flat pretty quickly when its not going well (like today)
    'The Adams family', 'who the fucking hell are you ' to a team with 3000 supporters, ' you're just a shit Aston Villa ' to a team beating us. Are not going to get the Covered end rocking.
    'The Adams Family' song is very much a case of 'takes one to know one.' I hate it and always have. Idiotic and embarrassing.

It's fun sitting next to your 8 year old when that chant gets sung.