Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan v Charlton | Sat 21 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    2--0 to the Reds. Back to winning ways. Just a feeling.
    Bad Manners.
  • Options
    Hemed's got to score his first one.
    1:0 Wigan
  • Options
    Pratley has to come in for Field and we have to find a way of getting the best out of Hemed.
    Nobody expects him to be pivotal like Taylor, but if he continues to be a spare part like last week we are going to suffer.
    O-1
  • Options

Hopefully not another defeat, but I wouldn't be surpised.

As much as I don't want us to be labelled a one man team, I think these next few weeks/months will show us how much we rely on Lyle.

2-0 Wigan :(

• Options
    As always well done FA on an insightful piece.

I don't believe this to be bed wetting but I see this a season defining fixture. WE NEED A RESULT, probably a win. Unbeaten run gone, home unbeaten run, gone, talisman top scorer gone. The next six matches are against top 6 nominees.

We need our players to bounce back with a statement, otherwise the end of October we find ourselves at the opposite end of the table following a losing run and a huge drop in morale and performance.

In Bowyer we trust and I predict a 1-2. Baby Beckham with an assist and the winner.
  • Options
    Nice preview but not at all confident about the match.

Not impressive against Brentford or Birmingham. Solid but don't create nearly enough. Lost a bit of magic somewhere but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

2-0 Wigan
  • Options
    Looking at Hemed's record, he averages roughly a goal every four games. So, using my warped logic he is due one against Wigan. 2-0 to the mighty Addicks!
  • Options
    2-1 Hemed & Williams 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-3 Charlton. 
  • Options
    Curbs style away performance after a defeat.

Stop the rot, keep a clean sheet, nick a goal if you can.

0 - 1 (Pearce against his old club)
  • Options
    0-3 Sarr hat-trick
  • Options
    Curbs style away performance after a defeat.

Stop the rot, keep a clean sheet, nick a goal if you can.

0 - 1 (Pearce against his old club)
    Score sounds about right, think Jonny Williams will be the hero though, his time has cometh
  • Options
    Real test this one. Win and we will all breathe a bit more easily. Lose and it could be a long losing run. Wigan is a tough place to go and they are due a win. Last week we looked toothless without Taylor and an early goal for Wigan will see us in trouble. 3-1 to Wigan, not good.
  • Options
    Team have had an entire week now to purely work on attacking with Hemed, rather than Taylor. Will be interesting to see how that looks. 
  • Options
    Great pre-amble as ever, FA. For me it’s a 1-1 if they score first and a 2-0 if we do. We need to show we’re not as reliant on Taylor as we suspect we are and find another way to beat teams, especially those that are struggling. With Gallagher and Williams I think we can create as many chances as anyone else in this division so it’s up to the forwards to show they can put some of those chances away. 
  • Options
    Addicks to win 2-1, I'd play Chucks up front with Hemed and then have Kayal slotting into midfield. The are supposed to know each others game, both through being at BHA and Israel together, so lets see what they've got, they should both be up with the fitness now.
  • Options
    Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 21st September 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Andy Davies (Hampshire)

Introduction
    Warning this is not a drill, I repeat this is not a drill… the Valley has been breached!! – We all knew it would happen eventually; Birmingham visiting last Saturday would be the first team in nearly a year to take three points away from South East London. Of course to go a full season undefeated would have been something that no one would have imagined – So whilst the ramparts get rebuild, stronger and taller, lets head out on a road trip as we journey back up North to face Wigan Athletic

The Opposition
    Name: Wigan Athletic | Manager: Paul Cook
    Ground: DW Stadium

To be honest there arent many sides who can be considered yo-yo teams anymore… Gone are the days of most teams bouncing from relegation to promotion in successive years, when teams get relegated these days it can take a few seasons to recover but in Wigan it’s the same old blueprint!!

Promoted back to the Championship in 2017/18, they would win League One at a canter – Life back in the second tier would be interesting though, would they succumb to another year of alternating between Divisions or would they finally be able to consolidate and secure safety for the first time since 2014!!... Well the short answer is yes (of course they did else we wouldn’t be playing them), the long answer is only just – Finishing 18th and only twelve points from the drop, life is never easy in this part of Lancashire!!

So whats next for Paul Cook and his Lactics – Would they take the next step or would they struggle again? – Well the loss of Nick Powell to Stoke would never be easy yet it looks to be another year of struggle… Goal Difference keeps them above Barnsley, and with just one win this season (an impressive 3-2 win over Cardiff) it means that our opponents could well be lucky to ensure Championship Football come next May

Should Charlton nose dive down the League, then this is the sort of game we must win!!

Charlton Team News
    So with the first defeat out of the way how does Bowyer turn? – In all honesty we didn’t deserve to lose against Birmingham and whilst some individual performances weren’t up to the standards we’ve come to expect, it was a performance where on another day we would have taken something from the game

Ultimately then does Lee make wholesale changes; Williams in for Oztumer is the obvious choice but the biggest question is do the loan signings have to play – If that’s the case then we wont see many other replacements, otherwise you’d expect to see Darren Pratley making a return in midfield at the very least!!

Phillips
    Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
    Cullen | Pratley | Williams
    Gallagher
    Hemed | Leko

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Field | Kayal | Oztumer | Aneke | Bonne

Prediction
    From my own perspective this is when it gets interesting under Bowyer’s stewardship… We’ve seen that he can cope with the rigours of League One, and whilst he’s achieved an impressive start at this level it could still easily go sour – How we bounce back from defeat is what’ll matter, we’ve yet to lose two games on the trot under the current Management, lets not start now!!
    @ForeverAddickted...I claim the prize to spot the deliberate mistake you put in the preview...surely Birmingham were not the first team to take away 3 points from south east London in nearly a year...the Nou Den is located in SE16...
  • Options

Introduction
    Warning this is not a drill, I repeat this is not a drill… the Valley has been breached!! – We all knew it would happen eventually; Birmingham visiting last Saturday would be the first team in nearly a year to take three points away from South East London. Of course to go a full season undefeated would have been something that no one would have imagined – So whilst the ramparts get rebuild, stronger and taller, lets head out on a road trip as we journey back up North to face Wigan Athletic

The Opposition

To be honest there arent many sides who can be considered yo-yo teams anymore… Gone are the days of most teams bouncing from relegation to promotion in successive years, when teams get relegated these days it can take a few seasons to recover but in Wigan it’s the same old blueprint!!

Promoted back to the Championship in 2017/18, they would win League One at a canter – Life back in the second tier would be interesting though, would they succumb to another year of alternating between Divisions or would they finally be able to consolidate and secure safety for the first time since 2014!!... Well the short answer is yes (of course they did else we wouldn’t be playing them), the long answer is only just – Finishing 18th and only twelve points from the drop, life is never easy in this part of Lancashire!!

So whats next for Paul Cook and his Lactics – Would they take the next step or would they struggle again? – Well the loss of Nick Powell to Stoke would never be easy yet it looks to be another year of struggle… Goal Difference keeps them above Barnsley, and with just one win this season (an impressive 3-2 win over Cardiff) it means that our opponents could well be lucky to ensure Championship Football come next May

Should Charlton nose dive down the League, then this is the sort of game we must win!!

Charlton Team News
    So with the first defeat out of the way how does Bowyer turn? – In all honesty we didn’t deserve to lose against Birmingham and whilst some individual performances weren’t up to the standards we’ve come to expect, it was a performance where on another day we would have taken something from the game

Ultimately then does Lee make wholesale changes; Williams in for Oztumer is the obvious choice but the biggest question is do the loan signings have to play – If that’s the case then we wont see many other replacements, otherwise you’d expect to see Darren Pratley making a return in midfield at the very least!!

Phillips
    Gallagher
    Hemed | Leko

Prediction
    From my own perspective this is when it gets interesting under Bowyer’s stewardship… We’ve seen that he can cope with the rigours of League One, and whilst he’s achieved an impressive start at this level it could still easily go sour – How we bounce back from defeat is what’ll matter, we’ve yet to lose two games on the trot under the current Management, lets not start now!!
    @ForeverAddickted...I claim the prize to spot the deliberate mistake you put in the preview...surely Birmingham were not the first team to take away 3 points from south east London in nearly a year...the Nou Den is located in SE16...
    Yeah should maybe have put SE7 - Thats what I always mean when I say South East London as like to pretend there isnt a Millwall ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Gallagher
    Hemed | Leko

Prediction
    Yeah should maybe have put SE7 - Thats what I always mean when I say South East London as like to pretend there isnt a Millwall ;)
    Nice try...Millwall isn’t SE London, it’s north of the river...

2-0, like the score when we win today...
  • Options
    Thanks for another great preview but I disagree with one part - I though Brum were the better team overall (especially in the second half). We only had 3 SOT and 2 corners I believe. 
    All change today. 
    Baby Beckham on the scoresheet. 
    COYR. 
  • Options
    Addicks to win 2-1, I'd play Chucks up front with Hemed and then have Kayal slotting into midfield. The are supposed to know each others game, both through being at BHA and Israel together, so lets see what they've got, they should both be up with the fitness now.
    I too would like to see what they can do together. They know each other inside out 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I too would like to see what they can do together. They know each other inside out 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Ew
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Posting this a minute before teams are announced so I could really just wait but....

Could see us going three at the back, bringing in Naby for FIeld.
  • Options
    So, I was close^. Ish. 

Okay, been wondering this, has JFC been hurt? Or has he just not been picked for the 18 lately? Apologies as I've clearly missed something.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Oztumer and Kayal not in the squad
  • Options
    Oztumer and Kayal not in the squad
    I thought we played midweek but we don't. Wonder if they have knocks. Oztumer was almost non-existant last Saturday. Thought Kayal looked tidy if unspectacular, but is also coming back to fitness.

Pearce on the bench is an interesting one. I suspect it's because Bow/Jacko expect Wigan to press us, as they did when we played them the year they won League One at The Valley. They just let Pearce have the ball, knowing he couldn't beat them. They were good that night.

Suspect Solly is on the bench due to the pace of Lowe and Massy, not to mention Byrne and Robinson. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    So, I was close^. Ish. 

Okay, been wondering this, has JFC been hurt? Or has he just not been picked for the 18 lately? Apologies as I've clearly missed something.
    He is in the 18 today