Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Arnhem; Airborne drops 75 years anniversary

Big news over here. For the past week we have had a lot of coverage on national and local television re the 75th anniversary of Arnhem and the last remaining veterans of the battle visiting the area, as the majority of them have done over decades.

Seeing we live in the province of Gelderland, we also feel involved. Therefore we have visited 2 events over the last few weeks. 1. end of August Wings of Freedom, 2. yesterday September 21: Airborne Ede commemmoration. The veterans were there, where also 1 of them made a parachute jump (97 years of age!) with a member of the Red Devils. Present also were Princess Beatrix (former queen of The Netherlands) and Prince Charles.

We noticed there was only a little bit of coverage on the BBC news and felt we had to share this with you as I know it will be of certain interest to some members.

Comments

• Options
    some photos of the event. parade of vehicles before the drop
  • Options
    My next door neighbour Bill Williams

• Options

Sandy Cortmann 97 year old. The gent in the red devil suit who made the duo-jump. First time back after 1944.

• Options
    Was this event held in Oosterbeek? 
  • Options

Princess Beatrix and Prince Charles (I know it's a bit out of focus)

• Options
    There were many dropzones over the days. This was Ede (Ginkelse Heide). There was also Renkum, Groesbeek
  • Options
    Did seem odd there was very little coverage in the news so thanks for posting
  • Options
    As @Greenie would rightly say - the greatest generation.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    bobmunro said:
    Damn right 
    @bobmunro

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had the good fortune to happen upon the annual commemoration a few years back. Very moving to see the town turn out in force as well as an honour to see the veterans parade past.

The bars were filled with veterans and current paras all chewing the cud that evening too.

I would have liked to have made it this year.
  • Options
    The Dutch people do a great job with these commemorations. They don't forget and we must ensure we don't forget either. Definitely the greatest generation.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    nice gesture. great banner as well. 

i want to know more about this Burger zoo that Vitesse Arnhem are sponsored by 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Can't say anything these days, PC gone mad etc etc.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Was this event held in Oosterbeek? 
    Im surprised this place wasn’t mentioned as they have a fantastic war museum in the grounds where the allied forces congregated  (unless I was somewhere else). 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    bobmunro said:
    just a shame they raised the generation that will ultimately lead to the extinction of the human race.
    Give it a fucking rest 
    Honestly we have one or two absolute wankers on this forum!
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    bobmunro said:
    just a shame they raised the generation that will ultimately lead to the extinction of the human race.
    Give it a fucking rest 
    Guilty as charged!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:
    bobmunro said:
    Give it a fucking rest 
    Guilty as charged!!
    It’s a fair cop. And me. 
  • Options

Sandy Cortmann 97 year old. The gent in the red devil suit who made the duo-jump. First time back after 1944.

Have been told Sandy Cortmann passed away yesterday..........RIP ..
  • Options
    RIP Sandy Cortmann
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Just reading Anthony Beevor's (very damning) history of Arnhem. Ignoring the military stuff, there was one interesting and really irrelevant little story. 'Boy' Browning, the commander of the UK Paratroopers was married to the eminent author Daphne Du Maurier. Story is that she chose maroon as the colour of the para's berets as maroon was the main colour of Browning's racing silks.
    Not many people know that (:>)
  • Options
    Just reading Anthony Beevor's (very damning) history of Arnhem. Ignoring the military stuff, there was one interesting and really irrelevant little story. 'Boy' Browning, the commander of the UK Paratroopers was married to the eminent author Daphne Du Maurier. Story is that she chose maroon as the colour of the para's berets as maroon was the main colour of Browning's racing silks.
    His book "Ardennes 1944, Hitlers last gamble" is an excellent read as well if you have not done so.
  • Options
    His book "Ardennes 1944, Hitlers last gamble" is an excellent read as well if you have not done so.
    read my mind .. I will probably get that sometime .. Beevor is my favourite 'modern wartime' historian