Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Legends You've Chatted To

Comments

• Options
    Played cricket with Lennie Lawrence in the same side mid to late 70s ..Lennie was a nice guy but quite quiet...he spent his time playing for carshalton and teaching at Mallory school at the time 

I would never have imagined that he'd become a Charlton legend 
  • Options
    Met quite a few ..... Bob Bolder, John Humphries, Mark Reid, Peter Shirtliff (he booked me at one of the training days at Sparrows Lane) Robert Lee, Paul Williams, Lennie Lawrence, Curbs, Darren Bent, Carl Tiler (not really a legend) , Graeme Stuart a few times, Killer... 

With Darren Bent, I was quite drunk and ran after him in the car park to take my chance to say hello, I don't think he was overly impressed.

:D 
  • Options
    Keith Peacock & Peter Reeves used to train me as a school boy and still see Keith to this day. Had a good chat with Colin Powell at Lingfield races a couple of times. Had a few beers in the one bell with Steve Thompson, Ralph Milne & George Shipley. Met Steve Gritt at a wedding & spoke Charlton for ages - really nice bloke who was kind enough to seek me out & say goodbye as he left. Gary Nelson before last seasons play off final, Chris Solly & Chuks at Bromley Addicks and Lyle Taylor at Betty’s funeral. 
  • Options
    Back in the nineties, I managed to gate crash the first big players' reunion after the return to the Valley and talked at some length to both Allan Simonsen and Hans Jeppson and have the autographs to prove it. Now they are real Charlton legends.
  • Options
    Dave Shipperley once thought I was his cab driver and told me to wait somewhere and he'd be with me in 10 minutes. Does that count?
  • Options
    Andy Hunt...as most know he runs a holiday lodge in Belize, and is a great host.  A trip should be on every fan's bucket list IMO
  • Options
    Met quite a few over the years, Keith Peacock legend of course 
    had some lively nights out with Jamie Stuart and Kevin Nicholl, 
    Scott Minto went out with an ex of mine and lots of beers with Colin Walsh, sweaty balmer that era. Good times 
  • Options
    Dave Shipperley once thought I was his cab driver and told me to wait somewhere and he'd be with me in 10 minutes. Does that count?
    Did you wait,  or did drive off and leave him?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Prompted by @Dave2l on the never seen Star Wars thread.  By 'chatted' I mean a little more than saying hello, congratulating them on a performance or asking for an autograph/selfie - or shouting 'do some work you lazy muppet' if Rhys Williams is your idea of a legend.

Not many for me: Chris Powell, Colin Powell, Derek Hales, Keith Peacock, Matt Holland, Derek Ufton, 
    Had a quick chat with Keith Peacock once, it was during the 2008-09 season when we were really shit and said I'd had a dream the night before we would win 4-0. He said if we won 4-0 that afternoon I was to come up to a lounge and he would buy a bottle of champagne we could drink together. Needless to say we lost, to I think Forest and that was the end of that .
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Did you wait,  or did drive off and leave him?
    Oh yeah, I waited. I just took him to The Bugle Horn via Woolwich.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a chat with Arthur Horsfield in a bar in Spain the other night, thoroughly nice bloke and looking well for his age.
    Was he running it mate, or on hols, as he used to run the viewpoint club in Gravesend for years. 
    On holiday, still lives in Gravesend I think 
  • Options
    Bert Johnson outside Filbert Street - Kev Nolan introduced me. Chris Powell and Alex Dyer at the players reception after the game in Gibraltar. Nelse, Graham Stuart, Steve Brown, Andy Jones, Paul Went, Richie Wilson, Robbo and Colin Walsh all came to our pub for the night when they were on a vets golf bash in the Algarve a few years back. John Humphrey was on our team at a quiz night once. All of them top blokes.  
  • Options
    Met Andy Petterson and Paul Sturgess up the creek in Greenwich after a Reading away game, think it was 2-2 and David Whyte scored a great goal against the keeper with the syrup. Andy was a nice guy down to earth and really easy to talk to, Sturgess was more standoffish although I think he was more interested in trying to cop off with the local talent than talk to us half pissed herberts.
    now that really is stretching the 'legend' status ! (not picking on you Bigman, there's plenty more examples on this thread)
  • Options
    Had a brief chat with Steve Gritt before the Play Off final last year. Nice fella.
  • Options
    Had a chat with Arthur Horsfield in a bar in Spain the other night, thoroughly nice bloke and looking well for his age.
    I worked with his daughter in the 80’s (she was a bit of a sort) - she took an early 70’s programme with a picture of him in it home, and he signed it for me - I think he was running a working men’s club at the time
  • Options
    Spoke to Keith Peacock in hospitality a couple of years ago when he came up to introduce himself. I told him I had met him before back around 1964-65 when I asked for his autograph. He joked that he wouldn't have been old enough. I thought better of saying that in those days I used to look up to you - I am 6'4". Nice guy.
  • Options
    One for the teenagers here...... Charlie Revell, but when i say 'chat' it was mostly only when he was giving me a bollocking, he was my PE Teacher at secondary school. 
  • Options
    Curbishley, Chris Powell and, I don't know if he counts as a legend, Graham Stuart.
  • Options
    Like many of you I've spoken to loads over the years at games and club events but away from football -  Colin Walsh in the William Camden, Jon Fortune in spearmint rhino and Eddie Youds in numerous pubs in blackheath
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020

• Options
    edited February 2020
    A mate of mine and me often used to bunk off school and go down to sparrows lane and watch the team train in the the late 80’s- it was a lot less strict to get in those days. Bob Bolder spoke to us a few time’s and asked us why we weren’t at school -  we told him it was boring and would much rather watch the team train. On one occasion he let us take a few shots against him. He also gave me a pair of his boots after an away game at Plymouth.
  • Options
    A mate of mine and me often used to bunk off school and go down to sparrows lane and watch the team train in the the late 80’s- it was a lot less strict to get in those days. Bob Bolder spoke to us a few time’s and asked us why we weren’t at school -  we told him it was boring and would much rather watch the team train. On one occasion he let us take a few shots against him. He also gave me a pair of his boots after an away game at Plymouth.

We used to do this as well, although a few years earlier. Went once just after we signed Simonsen and they switched the session to The Valley at the last minute. A few players were there already and Terry Bullivant gave 3 of us a lift in his yellow Datsun Cherry. The players thought it was funny that we got the to sign in the back of our school exercise books.
  • Options
    I once thought I saw Paul Konchesky driving a Ford Mondeo down Charlton Church Lane but I didn't say hello
  • Options
    Had a piss next to Curbs once when he was Charlton manager. It was at Stamford Bridge, evening game against European opposition but can't remember who. Told him I was a Charlton fan and he said "what the fuck you doing here then?" but had a laugh.

Wish I'd said "we've both got the future of Charlton in our hands" but thought of it just at that split second too late.
  • Options
    I once thought I saw Paul Konchesky driving a Ford Mondeo down Charlton Church Lane but I didn't say hello
    Can’t believe they have got a Charlton Church Lane in Leeds as well. Konchesky’s Sat-Nav must have been playing up. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Played with Keith Peacock in the Charlton youth team, fortunately for him, he went on to be a legend and unfortunately for me everyone says WHO?  :)
    Charlton's loss is the Matchday Thread's gain.

Long live @ross1!
  • Options
    @Henry Irving and myself spent a memorable afternoon with Matt Tees a few years back, a wonderful man, fascinating to listen to and a real thrill to meet someone who I didnt see play but my late dear Dad raved about. 
  • Options
    Stuart Fleetwood at Virgin Active in Bromley