Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Legends You've Chatted To

1235»

Comments

• Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Stuart Fleetwood at Virgin Active in Bromley

Saw Semedo in there once....built like a middleweight boxer.

• Options
    UEAAddick said:

Saw Semedo in there once....built like a middleweight boxer.

Saw Semedo and Llera in a greasy spoon in Chislehurst, no wonder we came 13th in League One that year
  • Options
    Colin Walsh at ASDA greenhithe way back in 2001 or so i think, he was doing some sport promotion, he agreed to do a trophy presentation night at the lib club when we had our Sunday team, unfortunately had to cancel late notice, spoke to him on the phone a few times leading up to the night, great guy.
    Johnny H, at Dartford charity game a few years back, got talking about his goal against Norwich in the full members cup semifinal  at Selhurst in 1987 that helped send us to Wembley, can’t remember now if he or Walsh scored the equaliser or winner, sports teacher at a harrow school now 
  • Options
    Also bumped into Steve gritt august 18, Winchester services, I was enroute to Weymouth, he was with ebbsfleet squad on way to an away game, stood and chatted to me and came and said to hello to my mum who didn’t have a clue who he was 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Chris Powell away to Coventry (straight after his England call up), Luke Young in pub in Covent Garden and Claus Jensen (twice attending football games in Denmark).
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:

Does Stuart Fleetwood qualify as a Charlton legend ?
    Well if Neil Heaney is a Charlton hero I suppose he might :-)
  • Options
    I had a bizarre conversation with Derek Ufton in the airport waiting to board the plane on our way home from "Operation Ewood".

We were chatting about the game and the poor result when Derek's wife strolls over with her mobile pressed to her ear and casually says "Derek our daughter is on the phone, apparently they have had a minor earth quake in Kent". I gesture to Derek indicating to take the call and wander off thinking WTF!!! an earth quake in Kent.

It turns out when I caught up with the news later that day that there was in fact a minor earth quake, strange times.  
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I have met a few over the years at various functions but one particular occasion sticks out.  I probably shouldn’t write half of this but oh well what the hell....

It was back in early 2000’s and we were flying high in our prem days and were playing Man City that day.  My friend got invited to the sponsors lounge by a contact at News International and she was allowed to bring a plus one.  It was Christmas time and I had been out till the early hours and was feeling fairly ropey when I arrived at midday so the only way to get through it was to crack on and motor my way through the free booze that was on offer.  

Things deteriorated quite quickly after that.   Poor old Bob Bolder took us on a tour, and that was it, me and my mate started taking pictures of each other sitting in the bath.  Then I went off to sniff Deano’s shirt while poor Bob was trying to bring us under control to give a talk.  Then my ears pricked up when I heard one of our group say to a mate “Paul Konchesky’s hiding in the physio room”.  So that was it… as we were leaving the dressing room I started banging on the physios door shouting “I know you’re in there Konchesky come out now”!!  The door opens and Paul came out looking embarrassed.  So I got him to pose for a nice picture with me stood by the dressing room doorway.   While we were posing, young Scott Parker walks round the corner in to the room.  He took one look at the scene, and turned around and tried to have it on his toes but I was too quick for him.  I literally shoved Konch out the way and plucked Parker backwards and tucked him under my arm for a photo…. I don’t think he said a word, just did what he was told.  I thanked them both and we were off on our way looking for our next victims. 

We walk out of the changing room and witness the current manager of Manchester City, Kevin Keegan, taking a stroll down to look at the pitch.  Standard... we start yelling “Oi Keegan, we’d just love it if we beat you today”… and we went off howling to ourselves at our own comedy.  Embarrassing… though I do remember him having a massive grin on his face. 

Where next… oh I think we went upstairs and tried to sit and have a meal but I was too giddy by this stage.  I remember at one point the News International guy almost had his head in his hands!  But Bob did his best at keeping us under control.  I remember irritating @1905 as I kept on calling him and trying to put Bob on the phone to him.  I think he hung up on me.  I don’t know why…

Anyway don’t really remember much of the game, someone will confirm, but we were winning two nil I think and went on to draw.  After the game we got told to quieten down because Jason Euell had won man of the match and that he wouldn’t come in if I didn’t pipe down.  Of course I didn’t miss a photo opportunity with him, I remember asking him why he was trembling as we posed for another picture, he said it was his mobile vibrating.  But I wasn’t sure.

Then we went off to the players’ lounge.  We arrived at the door to find Chris Powell chatting to a couple of 8 year olds.  He apologised for the draw but we said it didn’t matter… as I grabbed his cheek and I might have told him I loved him, the young kid was looking up at me as if I was an absolute nut job which, to be fair, he had a point… but more pictures posed for and taken.  We then asked someone to send for Deano.  He bounded out expecting to be greeted by some young kids but his face when he finds two pissed up 32 year olds was a picture.  He stayed for a picture and then legged it back in. I don’t think he even said a word. 

That’s about all I can remember.  The next day I found out my mate had lost her camera.  Absolutely gutted as there were a few Charlton legends in that camera roll.  It was an absolute brilliant day.

If @Tracey ever needs an assistant I should imagine you're guaranteed the job. ;)
  • Options
    Spoke to John Humphreys at Charing Cross station and asked if he was joining palace. ‘Nah, would never play for that lot’ was his reply....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not legends but I worked with George Hope's wife and later with Tony Lange .
  • Options
    I spoke to Paul Elliott last Saturday,in a certain pub in Petts Wood,after the journey back from Stoke. Mindful of imposing, we only spoke for about ten minutes--a gentleman.And a great player for us.
  • Options
    Lennie Lawrence, used to live behind us. Nice enough fella, got us our tickets for Leeds play off game at Elland Road which I collected from his house. John Humphrey a friend of the family. Met Franny Jeffers outside a restaurant in Bexley  who launched into a anti Curbs rant. Bob Bolder came across as a funny guy. Work with Colin Powell, can't speak more highly of the man. Chris Powell after the play off final, waited while me & my boy ran about 50 yards to catch him to get a pic. He laughed when I took a couple of bottles of wine I'd nicked out of corporate out of my coat pockets looking for my mobile. Praised Bow on what a great job he's done. Had a good chat with KP about Barnehurst & was impressed I knew the Chinese family who house sat while he was playing in America. He said, they had some form of link with Princess Di which was interesting.
  • Options
    Chris Powell at Copenhagen airport 
    Paddy Powell he attended my nephews 21st party
    Theo Foley in the Lord Herbert 
    Carl Leaburn (and Tracey)
    wanted to speak to Dick Tydeman and Killer in the fox and hounds but felt embarrassed. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    wanted to speak to Dick Tydeman and Killer in the fox and hounds but felt embarrassed. 
    Which Fox and Hounds was that?
  • Options
    Back in the Premier League days I drove Peter Croker up to Leicester and we met with Bert Johnson at his flat from where a couple of us took the two old gentlemen out to lunch. It was an amazing privilege to hear them talking about the old days and reminiscing about the Cup Finals and life as a pro footballer in the 40's and 50's. 
  • Options
    Sir Keith and John Barnes.
  • Options
    Bumped into Ezri Konsa and Jay Da Silva in Charlton Sainburys about 2/3 years ago if that counts. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Solidgone said:
    Which Fox and Hounds was that?
    Plumstead
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chris Duffy and Don Welsh back at '82 opening of the new JS stand.
    Any managers or former managers?
    Of course. Chris Powell. I nearly forgot!