Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich Addicks

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Clark’s in the high st, still there?
    Mum used to take me in there to have my feet measured and then if I’d been a good lad (rarely) take me across the road to Freeman Hardy & Willis for a pair if not back home to Bowes in Charlton Village. Always got me the next size up, I think the idea was I didn’t outgrow them. 

• Options
    Harry Fentons now Boots I believe, where you could take a short cut through downstairs to the station.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    What was the men's shop next to the Woolwich Equitable called, Fosters? Bought my sheepskin in there circa 1970.

Edit; or was that Fentons?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Not really the place for this, but in all the affection for the former WEBS head office some further information is appropriate. Did you know that the fashion store at the junction of Powis Street and Barnard Close (the side opposite Clarks) is the former former WEBS head office, in service as such between 1895 and 1935? I may be able to dig out a picture.

Picture found

and an earlier picture ....

• Options
    edited October 2019
    RedChaser said:
    What is this , Woolwich Addicks or SE18 Addicks?  I’m a Plumstead Addick by birth (another one for St. Nicks). 
    I used to live opposite St. Nicks
    Tewson Road, my daughter was born in St Nicks which never closed until 1984. A medical centre and residential properties replaced it 😉.
    A mate at school, Colin (Harley) Foster lived in Tewson Road.
    Are you his dad ?
    @Covered End , not that I know of.  Anyways me and you aren't that far apart age wise so it would have had to be a bit of a miracle 😉.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Woolwich is an odd place. Went there last year to see the boat before it got decommissioned (which I know is odd in itself but we are anoraks) anyway... The bit that really surprised me is the wrong side of the tracks (in Woolwich's case the road) where in the side close to the river all very nice, youngs? Pubs and flats for yuppies. So very seperate from the other side which has the woolwich I know, it's a bit rough but more me I guess. Never seen such an obvious divide showing gentrification. Surely something some kid at University could do a thesis on, the changing landscape of London. 
    It is quite remarkable. Almost apartheid, the way Woolwich Road divides the two. 

The Arsenal site has always been separate, of course, but not because of money, unlike now. 

It does make me hanker after a wrong side of the tracks Woolwich pub crawl though. 

That would be fun, I'm sure.

It's probably the thick end of 30 years, maybe more, since I've drunk (been drunk) in Woolwich and I would like to see how many of my old haunts have changed or no longer there.

I fondly remember the Union Tavern off the back of Macbean Street back in the early/mid70s - it was my local when I was at school!

Used to use it about then, left the Poly in 71.
    I was at the poly from 68-75.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Never lived in Woolwich but remember stumbling upon an old mans type of clothes shop there on the early eighties - full of gabbicci cardigans dirt cheap - they had no idea they were in fashion - was swede and ironmongerymongous - also took me hours to work out the one way system - kept going round in circles on the 161 
    Ha, do you remember the name or location of the shop?
    not really, but i have vague memories of it being nearer the lower road end of the centre of woolwich - a small shop in a row of othedr small shops - not that dissimilar to james terry in eltham - about all i can remember 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Woolwich is an odd place. Went there last year to see the boat before it got decommissioned (which I know is odd in itself but we are anoraks) anyway... The bit that really surprised me is the wrong side of the tracks (in Woolwich's case the road) where in the side close to the river all very nice, youngs? Pubs and flats for yuppies. So very seperate from the other side which has the woolwich I know, it's a bit rough but more me I guess. Never seen such an obvious divide showing gentrification. Surely something some kid at University could do a thesis on, the changing landscape of London. 
    It is quite remarkable. Almost apartheid, the way Woolwich Road divides the two. 

The Arsenal site has always been separate, of course, but not because of money, unlike now. 

It does make me hanker after a wrong side of the tracks Woolwich pub crawl though. 

It's probably the thick end of 30 years, maybe more, since I've drunk (been drunk) in Woolwich and I would like to see how many of my old haunts have changed or no longer there.

I fondly remember the Union Tavern off the back of Macbean Street back in the early/mid70s - it was my local when I was at school!

Woolwich Poly  68-73, 1P 2P 3B 4B 5B
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Vincenzo said:

Woolwich Poly  68-73, 1P 2P 3B 4B 5B
    In my year then 1W 2W 3A 4A 5A L6 U6

Stevenson House!
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    mendonca said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Never lived in Woolwich but remember stumbling upon an old mans type of clothes shop there on the early eighties - full of gabbicci cardigans dirt cheap - they had no idea they were in fashion - was swede and ironmongerymongous - also took me hours to work out the one way system - kept going round in circles on the 161 
    not really, but i have vague memories of it being nearer the lower road end of the centre of woolwich - a small shop in a row of othedr small shops - not that dissimilar to james terry in eltham - about all i can remember 
    Facing what is now M&S. I’m sure it’s where Charlton skins got our tonic mohair suits in the late 60s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember Fosters clothes shop in Woolwich 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Yes - in Greens End. I remember window shopping and drooling over some of the clothes that I couldn't afford!
  • Options
    I was at the poly too 66- 70 . Great little school back then. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Yes - in Greens End. I remember window shopping and drooling over some of the clothes that I couldn't afford!
    I can hear my brother saying it as a kid now "Got it from Fosters"
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Fosters now TK Max, building clad in glass -

• Options
    edited October 2019

That's not where I'm remembering Fosters. The shop I recall was in Greens End between the Equitable Building and the Elephant & Castle. 

Just checked Google Maps and the entrance to the DLR looks like the location - bang opposite the end of Powis Street. 

Your pic seems to be the junction of Powis Street and Hare Street - that TK Max used to be a brilliant record shop.

• Options
    Maybe that was Burtons in the photo I shared then?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    mendonca said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Facing what is now M&S. I’m sure it’s where Charlton skins got our tonic mohair suits in the late 60s.
    There was a small traditional mens outfitters in Hare Street that suddenly found it stocked must-have mods gear like silk handkerchieves (for the mohair suit), fred perry polo shirts, sky blue golfing chinos and I recall I bought a pair of tailored strides that looked like mohair.  Would have been just past where Primark is now. Our mohair suits only came from one of the Rushey Green tailors opposite the Savoy Rooms, they would make up a suit from cloth you bought from the West End cheaper than anywhere else. 
  • Options
    Burtons
  • Options
    Burtons
    Coulda swore there was a Fosters down that end, mid to late 80's an all? Could well be wrong though...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought there was as well.
  • Options
    Vague recollection that Fosters may've moved in when Burtons closed?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Vague recollection that Fosters may've moved in when Burtons closed?

Burtons was on the opposite corner of Hare Street/Powis Street to where TK Max is in that photo.

If it was in the 80s then Fosters may well have moved to the old Burtons store from Greens End - but it was definitely where the DLR entrance is now back in the 60s/70s.

I left the area in 1985. 

• Options
    I remember Fosters being in the high st opposite that side turning down the side of M&S.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I remember Fosters being in the high st opposite that side turning down the side of M&S.
    correct.