Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Underrated musical acts

Comments

• Options
    I’m surprised YEBBA hasn’t really taken off yet, she’s got an amazing voice.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    PopIcon said:
    Just for some variation

The Velvet Underground
    The Band
    The Velvet Underground? Nico is often found in top 20 albums of all time. Surprised you put them in as I thought everyone loved them.
    As far as the public are concerned I doubt many outside of New York had even heard of the Velvet Underground at the time they were making records.
    They had a massive influence on people like Bowie and Roxy Music and critics like Lester Bangs who spread the word.
    Lou Reeds solo career got a massive boost when Bowie/Ronson produced his Transformer album at the height of Ziggy mania and this also re-awakened interest in the Velvets.
    It was certainly what got me into them.
    So I think you can say that at one point they were very underrated as their records didn't sell and the scale of their influence on other artists was initially undetected/unappreciated
  • Options
    The Ramones
  • Options
    Pringle said:
    A British prog rock band called IQ. Been going for over 30 years with a small but loyal following.  Similarly, Marillion - although they seem to be getting some newfound respect these days.  
    Met a guy once in a toilet in Weymouth, who was singing his head off... He told me it was a song by a band called IQ... He went further to say another great band he loved was porcupine tree.. I have been a fan of the latter since then... Strange things can happen in the John. 
  • Options
    Favourite band is Pigeon Detectives, but can't get a gig to see them live.
  • Options
    Favourite band is Pigeon Detectives, but can't get a gig to see them live.
    They're not touring atm & when they do, they generally stick to playing up north.
  • Options
    The Wedding Present - cracking live band never got the recognition they deserved.
    Was about to post the same thing
  • Options
    The Wedding Present one of the beat live bands around.
  • Options
    Gavin Clarke 
  • Options
    Nightwish
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Undying Hours.

Two superb albums, but possibly no more as one member is now scaling poptastic heights with Chvrches.
  • Options
    Ocean Colour Scene, probably the best live and I've ever seen and been a few times a not just a one off
  • Options
    Depeche Mode 
  • Options
    Ocean Colour Scene, probably the best live and I've ever seen and been a few times a not just a one off
    Great call 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    This isn't a band that's underrated, because they do have a sizeable cult following and have recorded a bunch of well-regarded albums and pull big crowds when they perform, but I was surprised that members of The Budos Band all have to work day jobs to survive, and not only that, they can only tour if they all have enough holiday left with their employers. Anyway, to describe them, they're kind of Afrobeat jazz crossed with Black Sabbath. They're on the Brooklyn soul/funk label Daptone Records. https://youtu.be/amg-Me9sDws
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I never know where to begin with these threads, but I could probably name upwards of 500 acts I genuinely like and consider underrated. We'll start with Richard Dawson as he's recently put out an album with this amazing single on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGiQ_-Ktpvc
  • Options
    McFly. Simple as.

If the Beatles wrote their song All About You, we'd still be raving about it to this day.
  • Options
    Depeche Mode 
    They sure have made a lot of albums and been in massive, sold out stadium tours to be classed as underrated IMO.
  • Options
    Depeche Mode 
    They sure have made a lot of albums and been in massive, sold out stadium tours to be classed as underrated IMO.
    Fair enough. I just don’t think they get spoke about as much as other bands from that era and since. 
  • Options
    Depeche Mode have a very loyal and fanatical support, but don't get much mainstream coverage that's for sure, considering their support
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Depeche Mode have a very loyal and fanatical support, but don't get much mainstream coverage that's for sure, considering their support
    Not that well thought of in the Uk , in Europe and the US They are gods .  150 million Album sales and counting .

• Options
    McFly. Simple as.

If the Beatles wrote their song All About You, we'd still be raving about it to this day.
    is this the worst post on this thread?
  • Options
    Kano - not sure how stormzy's absolutely huge and this guy has consistently been putting out great stuff for years and basically was a major reason why grime has developed into what it is today and isn't, comparatively. 
  • Options
    Caterina Valente
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Sparklehorse (Mark Linkous).

Just been listening to his 1998 Good Morning Spider LP and reflecting on the tragedy of Linkous’ suicide in 2010 at just 47 years old. He made 4 albums between 1995 and 2006 and they are all good.

Here’s a couple of contrasting songs from Good Morning Spider

Pig https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQSWpLCcpE

Sunshine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnuYWr4exlA

Culture Show piece that was on when his last album came out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3GCYWiz7Dk
  • Options
    Voice of the Beehive
  • Options
    James Blunt
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Voice of the Beehive
    Great call again - Madness' drummer - very B52S. They were pretty good too, Roam is a terrific song. 
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    McBobbin said:
    Not that well thought of in the Uk , in Europe and the US They are gods .  150 million Album sales and counting .

I'm sure that's true, but know a couple of UK fans and they go everywhere to see them
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Some of the earlier albums by Josh Ritter were brilliant and he puts on some great energetic gigs.