Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Underrated musical acts

Comments

• fadgadget said:
    Stig said:
    Fad Gadget and Blancmange

Yup , but i am a bit Biased , Blancmange have been very prolific over the past 6 years , and their albums highly recommended , WUNDERLUST is a great album .

The only thing I ever heard of theirs was The day before you came, just played it on youtube for a bit of nostalgia & was shocked & ashamed to discover it was an Abba original !!! I never knew :-) A great song.

All the same will have to check out a bit more of Blancmange 

• The Rifles
    The Enemy

Never understood how they never really made it.

Great shout on those, I'm taking the boy to see The Rifles at the Roundhouse after we get back from West Brom. Last time we saw them was at Borderline in January, great seeing a band that good in such a small space.
  • The Shins
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    Strange, loved their first two albums didn't care much for the third. Just skipped through it again & don't understand why I didn't like it :-:smile:
  • Mega City Four 
    Ludicrous Lollipops 
  • edited October 2019
    The Wedding Present - cracking live band never got the recognition they deserved.
    Was about to post the same thing
    Seamonsters tour was awesome but never came away disappointed from the many times I saw them.
  • fadgadget said:
    McBobbin said:
    Depeche Mode have a very loyal and fanatical support, but don't get much mainstream coverage that's for sure, considering their support
    Not that well thought of in the Uk , in Europe and the US They are gods .  150 million Album sales and counting .

42 top 40 singles in the UK but never a number 1. I believe that's a tally that is only beaten by Morrissey's 51/0 but that's counting his solo and Smiths releases all together.
  • Stig said:
    fadgadget said:
    McBobbin said:
    Depeche Mode have a very loyal and fanatical support, but don't get much mainstream coverage that's for sure, considering their support
    Not that well thought of in the Uk , in Europe and the US They are gods .  150 million Album sales and counting .

42 top 40 singles in the UK but never a number 1. I believe that's a tally that is only beaten by Morrissey's 51/0 but that's counting his solo and Smiths releases all together.
    Last 3 Albums not that great but still a great live Band , they have a fanatic following .
  • lolwray said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    lolwray said:
    Don MacLean 
    As in "American Pie"? If so then there's not really any situation we can say he's underrated, surely? It's one of the great songs.
    Indeed But I think the wider body of his work has been overlooked..in that regard I see him as underrated. And still performing brilliantly into his 70s...
    Oh yes, a few musicians/bands fall into the category of: 'victim of his own success'...
    (Defined by one big hit)
    Antonio Carlos Jobim is one that close to my heart.

• Steven Wilson , once of Porcupine Tree.
    Once called by the Daily Telegraph 'the most successful British artist you have never heard of'
  • fadgadget said:
    Stig said:

Yup , but i am a bit Biased , Blancmange have been very prolific over the past 6 years , and their albums highly recommended , WUNDERLUST is a great album .

The only thing I ever heard of theirs was The day before you came, just played it on youtube for a bit of nostalgia & was shocked & ashamed to discover it was an Abba original !!! I never knew :-) A great song.

My favourite Abba song. Will have to check out the Blancmange version.  
  • Sponsored links:

• fadgadget said:
    Stig said:

My favourite Abba song. Will have to check out the Blancmange version.  
    Blancmange have several recorded versions. All good. All better than Abba, which is still good. Best though is the (original?) with the little Coronation Street pastiche. 
  • White Lies.
  • McFly. Simple as.

If the Beatles wrote their song All About You, we'd still be raving about it to this day.
    Got a point on the Beatles thing.... imagine Paul singing that track. It would indeed be a smash hit.
  • My suggestion - Weezer.
  • Either Go-Betweens, The Claim or Ryan Adams 
  • edited December 2019
    Johnny Cash. 
    Elvis Costello
    Carter Family
    Tom Robinson
    Jake Budd
    Status Quo
    Dusty
    Q Tips
    Gram Parsons
  • Johnny Cash. 
    Elvis Costello
    Carter Family
    Tom Robinson
    Jake Budd
    Status Quo
    Dusty
    Q Tips
    Gram Parsons
    Great acts, but underrated????
  • Johnny Cash. 
    Elvis Costello
    Carter Family
    Tom Robinson
    Jake Budd
    Status Quo
    Dusty
    Q Tips
    Gram Parsons
    Can I add John Lennon to that list?
  • Sponsored links:

• fadgadget said:
    I know you’ve mentioned this being an ABBA tune, but is that one of the ABBA girls in that video? (Agnetha?)
  • Lambchop
    Brian Jonestown Massacre
    Catfish and the Bottle men
    The Black Angels
    Silversun Pickups
    Sugar (Also Bob Mould)
    Grandaddy
  • Mansun 
    Goldfrapp

And if film score composers can be included, Abel Korzeniowski is one of the most underrated composers and deserves more credit than he has. His scores for A Single Man, Nocturnal Animals, W.E. and Romeo and Juliet are sublime. They are the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. 
  • fadgadget said:
    Stig said:
    fadgadget said:
    McBobbin said:

Last 3 Albums not that great but still a great live Band , they have a fanatic following .
    Can't believe Depeche Mode are considered underrated🤣 Weren't they one of the biggest UK bands in the 80's and early 90's? I used to be a big fan but agree their last three albums are mediocre. I bought Spirit the last one on CD a few months ago but still haven't finished listening to the whole album. Their last three all just sound the same to me. 
  • I would say so in the Uk , In the USA And Some Parts Of Europe They Have Almost a God Like Status .   
  • Mode are massive in the States apparently 
  • BeeGees. I know they’re a big household name, but too many people think of them as some sort of novelty disco act, when actually they songwriting credentials are up there with the likes of John and Paul.
  • Porcupine Tree
    Pineapple thief

hadn't heard of either of them until recently.

• PopIcon said:
    Johnny Cash. 
    Elvis Costello
    Carter Family
    Tom Robinson
    Jake Budd
    Status Quo
    Dusty
    Q Tips
    Gram Parsons
    Can I add John Lennon to that list?
    And also that little known band he used to be in too.