Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electric Cars

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    The range is what's put me off so far, but I think when I move house later this year I will get an electric as well. The ranges are getting better and better as I suspect will the infrastructure over time.

Luckily we have a scheme at work through a lease company where you pay via salary sacrifice so for me effectively almost half price. Can even get a Taycan from £500 a month!

I do like the look of the little Honda E for local trips, reminds me of a 70's mini clubman.

Taycan? Honda E?

Tough choice!
    When you consider the Honda is £300, the Taycan sub £600 it's pretty easy! Even the £130k Turbo is sub £900 a month.
  • Options
    Read an article a few months about a company that has developed a battery that takes only five mins to charge fully. They’re so confident that they built 300 of them at the testing stage. Apparently they’ll cost the same as an normal battery. 
    Haven’t heard anything since though. If it works out it should be a game changer. 
    Annoyingly I can’t remember the name of the company, or even where I read the article. I expected it would be all over the media, but it hasn’t been unfortunately. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Read an article a few months about a company that has developed a battery that takes only five mins to charge fully. They’re so confident that they built 300 of them at the testing stage. Apparently they’ll cost the same as an normal battery. 
    Haven’t heard anything since though. If it works out it should be a game changer. 
    Annoyingly I can’t remember the name of the company, or even where I read the article. I expected it would be all over the media, but it hasn’t been unfortunately. 
    This is the company.

• Options
    Just ordered a VW ID.3 through company salary sacrifice. Seems like a good deal and on a two-year lease I won't be stuck with yesterday's technology when it's time to hand it back. We're keeping our diesel beast and will use the VW as our local car. Not sure if the EV will really save any money but I'm just fascinated by this transition, warts and all. It will be interesting to hear how fellow Lifers get on with EVs.

I have no regrets at all in going EV - got the car last summer. My daily commute is a 45 mile round trip and with a real life range of 200 miles (officially 250 but not the way I drive it!) means two overnight charges a week at home gives me enough for the commute plus weekend pottering around as well. I'm lucky to have a driveway where I charge it and the charger was installed for £995 but £500 of that was covered by the Government grant. I've never used public charge points and to be honest I doubt I will ever need to as I now rarely do long journeys - I bought another IC car for that (yes there is still range anxiety but it does diminish).

It's a company car and a real game changer was the zero benefit in kind tax. It basically costs me £20 a week in electricity.
  • Options
    Wow, do you know if that zero benefit in kind tax position is still valid? Might need to look into that more abs need a new car.
  • Options
    Wow, do you know if that zero benefit in kind tax position is still valid? Might need to look into that more abs need a new car.
    No, it's increasing.

2020/2021 - 0%
    2021/2022 - 1%
    2022/2023 - 2%

Still really cheap though.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    No, it's increasing.

2020/2021 - 0%
    2021/2022 - 1%
    2022/2023 - 2%

Thin end of the wedge...
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    No, it's increasing.

2020/2021 - 0%
    2021/2022 - 1%
    2022/2023 - 2%

Thin end of the wedge...

It will change, that's for sure.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    No, it's increasing.

2020/2021 - 0%
    2021/2022 - 1%
    2022/2023 - 2%

Thin end of the wedge...

It will change, that's for sure.
    Introducing that tax when there aren’t that many electric cars on  the road and the tax itself will bring in a relatively insignificant amount probably signifies getting us to switch to electric cars isn’t going to be a priority for a while. Most traffic pollution isn’t caused by the family car anyway as I understand it (somebody correct me if I’m wrong). Encouraging tax payers not to buy tax generating diesel and petrol cars when we’ve COVID to pay for is unlikely to find a lot of favour in 11 Downing Street (or wherever the Chancellor resides these days) I would guess.
  • Options
    In my view the 2030 cut off is purely to drive innovation in the area as companies try and grab market share. 

I think we will see huge strides in the next 10 years 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In my view the 2030 cut off is purely to drive innovation in the area as companies try and grab market share. 

I think we will see huge strides in the next 10 years 

Hybrids will be allowed until 2035 so a bit more time for that innovation.

I agree, though - battery technology will grow exponentially. When we get to the point where the charging infrastructure is massively increased, 500-600 mile range is the minimum, and 15 minute charging time, cars on the road will be almost exclusively EVs.

• Options
    Will be like the print - we did the same things forever then it was gone almost overnight. 
  • Options
    Is there any chance that solar energy could charge on the go? I'm not up on the technology if it generates enough power etc?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    The range is what's put me off so far, but I think when I move house later this year I will get an electric as well. The ranges are getting better and better as I suspect will the infrastructure over time.

Luckily we have a scheme at work through a lease company where you pay via salary sacrifice so for me effectively almost half price. Can even get a Taycan from £500 a month!

I do like the look of the little Honda E for local trips, reminds me of a 70's mini clubman.

Watched a CarWOW video on youtube about this as think it looks great

As an Electric Car though its really expensive for what it can achieve compared to other models that are cheaper and have longer mileage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRpDhY6vj0Q&ab_channel=carwow
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    How long before car sun roofs & panels become solar panels, charging the car batteries?
  • Options
    Went from BMW diesel to Kia ENiro. Just booked in for first 10k service. Love the car! It’s range is well above 200miles on a full charge. I very rarely use a public charger because of this and charge at home for under £3 for a full battery. If on long journeys then the rapid chargers normally give me plenty of charge by the time I’ve had a coffee and use the facilities to continue without hanging around. Most of all though, it’s just a nice car to drive. I do think that popularity will explode in next year or so and that’s when the public infrastructure may be more challenging if you need to queue, but people like gridserve and other large electric forecourts being rolled out should help. No brainier if you can do it through a business with the cheap tax. I didn’t have that option, but with high milage I’m recovering some of the high initial cost.
  • Options
    Does this country have the capacity to meet the early evening surge of people plugging in their  electric cars and putting the kettle on when they return home from work?  
  • Options
    We are test driving one next week. We are fortunate enough to have a driveway so home charging works for us and we don’t do a mass of mileage. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Just out of interest, i know the technology will probably change given time, but how long does an electric car hold its charge for, ie if you don't use it much , does the charge 'wear off' or just stay in the battery until its all used up?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just out of interest, i know the technology will probably change given time, but how long does an electric car hold its charge for, ie if you don't use it much , does the charge 'wear off' or just stay in the battery until its all used up?
    It loses charge at an incredibly slow rate. I can have my car 100% charged and not use it for a couple of weeks, and it will still be 99% charged.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    All I can say to those of you quietly congratulating yourself on the [relative] cheapness of your electric car is enjoy it while you can. Because as sure as heck it isn't going to continue long term.

The Government is losing a fortune with the move to electric cars. A recent study by the RAC Foundation showed that that when a pure electric car is purchased instead of a petrol car then the Chancellor loses, on average, around £897 in the first 12 months after registration. For a diesel car the figure is £1,139. (See Q18 in the economics section of these FAQs - https://www.racfoundation.org/motoring-faqs) That sort of loss of income is unsustainable.

Currently, there is also a review going on into VED (See Q19 in that same section). This is being couched as a a way of overhauling VED as a way of encouraging the take up of greener vehicles. I will have a little bet that the outcome of the review will be large increases in VED for petrol and diesel vehicles - explained away as hitting dirty, old technology - but also that taxes on electric cars start to rise substantially from their current levels. Also, in the longer term, don't write off the introduction of a road charging scheme under which there would be little incentive to charge electric vehicles at a cheaper rate to ICE vehicles.

I'm still not totally convinced electric vehicles are the way forward and having spent many hours in the early 2000s in meetings with senior Government officials who told the motor industry unequivocally that the Treasury wanted to encourage the take-up of diesel vehicles I know that these things can change very quickly. I wouldn't totally rule out hydrogen - for the simple reason you can fill a hydrogen powered car at up at a pump and so not have to worry about charging it up - being the way we go forward. It will be very interesting - to put it mildly - to see what develops over the next few years.   
  • Options
    All I can say to those of you quietly congratulating yourself on the [relative] cheapness of your electric car is enjoy it while you can. Because as sure as heck isn't going to continue long term.

The Government is losing a fortune with the move to electric cars. A recent study by the RAC Foundation showed that that when a pure electric car is purchased instead of a petrol car then the Chancellor loses, on average, around £897 in the first 12 months after registration. For a diesel car the figure is £1,139. (See Q18 in the economics section of these FAQs - https://www.racfoundation.org/motoring-faqs) That sort of loss of income is unsustainable.

Currently, there is also a review going on into VED (See Q19 in that same section). This is being couched as a a way of overhauling VED as a way of encouraging the take up of greener vehicles. I will have a little bet that the outcome of the review will be large increases in VED for petrol and diesel vehicles - explained away as hitting dirty, old technology - but also that taxes on electric cars start to rise substantially from their current levels. Also, in the longer term, don't write off the introduction of a road charging scheme under which there would be little incentive to charge electric vehicles at a cheaper rate to ICE vehicles.

I'm still not totally convinced electric vehicles are the way forward and having spent many hours in the early 2000s in meetings with senior Government officials who told the motor industry unequivocally that the Treasury wanted to encourage the take-up of diesel vehicles I know that these things can change very quickly. I wouldn't totally rule out hydrogen - for the simple reason you can fill a hydrogen powered car at up at a pump and so not have to worry about charging it up. It will be very interesting - to put it mildly - to see what develops over the next few years.   
    I think long term that hydrogen makes way more sense.
  • Options
    How long before car sun roofs & panels will become solar panels, charging the car batteries?
    Strangely enough the Audi A8 from around 20 years ago had an option of a solar sun roof. As far as I remember all it did was keep the ventilation fan running while the car was parked up to help keep the interior cool on a hot day.
  • Options
    Thanks Bob, and  I also watched that little car wow video which was interesting.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    All I can say to those of you quietly congratulating yourself on the [relative] cheapness of your electric car is enjoy it while you can. Because as sure as heck isn't going to continue long term.

I'm still not totally convinced electric vehicles are the way forward and having spent many hours in the early 2000s in meetings with senior Government officials who told the motor industry unequivocally that the Treasury wanted to encourage the take-up of diesel vehicles I know that these things can change very quickly. I wouldn't totally rule out hydrogen - for the simple reason you can fill a hydrogen powered car at up at a pump and so not have to worry about charging it up. It will be very interesting - to put it mildly - to see what develops over the next few years.   
    Except with hydrogen you still have to transport it and the energy to manage that and convert it is still significant. Electricity is already plumbed in to all our homes and the infrastructure is established and growing.

I totally expect a shift to taxing on mileage in the future.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Except with hydrogen you still have to transport it and the energy to manage that and convert it is still significant. Electricity is already plumbed in to all our homes and the infrastructure is established and growing.

Isnt fuel already taxed on mileage though. The more petrol / diesel you use the more tax you pay ?
  • Options
    iainment said:

Isnt fuel already taxed on mileage though. The more petrol / diesel you use the more tax you pay ?
    Yes, though if you switch to electric then the tax rate/ fuel duty is a lot lower and difficult to differentiate between vehicle electric and household electric. To make up for the loss in tax I would expect a new system to be based on mileage.
  • Options
    And when the cars are automated, it will become cheaper to keep them running than to pay for parking. So the roads will be clogged up with driverless cars roaming around waiting for their owners to call them!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    How long before car sun roofs & panels become solar panels, charging the car batteries?
    Never, according to Elon.