Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Brom v Charlton | Sat 26 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

West Bromwich Albion v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 26th October 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Matt Donohue

Introduction
Well there is little time to reflect on yesterdays result, as is the way with the Championship there is no time to dwell on the disappointment, on to the next one in our quest, not to avoid relegation but to see just how far we can go under Bowyer and his stewardship. This Saturday the road trip continues with a trip up to M5 to West Bromwich Albion, the early pace setters have yet to lose at home this season; our management team scoff at challenges like that!!

The Opposition
Name: West Bromwich Albion (1st) | Manager: Slaven Bilic
Ground: The Hawthorns

When your fourth in the League and looking dangerous the last thing you want to do is sack your Manager - Yet for some reason thats exactly what our opponents chose to do last season; Darren Moore would be appointed at the tail end of their relegation campaign, and whilst he couldnt save them from the drop would make them challengers for automatic promotion last campaign.

Unsurprisingly the change in Management didnt improve the Baggies promotion hopes and were left to rue the decision after a defeat in the Play-Offs against local rivals and eventual winners: Aston Villa

This season though and West Brom appear destined to make amends for their mistakes last season -  Their squad, a blend of Premier League experience combined with Football League grit and youth (Nathan Ferugson without doubt the surprise package at this level this season!!) means they're the early pace setters. Unbeaten at home means a trip to the Hawthorns will be a daunting task for any opponent this term!!

Charlton Team News
Well the easy name to mention is  Jonathan Leko – It is thanks to West Bromwich Albion that we have him in our squad, unfortunately Leko will be unable to face his parent club so will be well rested ahead of Preston North End in a weeks time!!

And now for the fun to begin - Just who do we have left that can play - Last night we lost Sam Field (already ineligible for Saturday) and Jake Forster-Caskey to injury, whilst Lee Bowyer would confirm that Jonny Williams is set for a couple of months out after a knee operation on Tuesday - It means the U23s like Josh Davison or James Vennings (highly rated at the recent Bromley Addicks meeting) could well be called upon!! - Alfie Doughty, having a successful period on loan at Bromley has since been recalled to the club, whilst Albie Morgan appears to remain with Ebbsfleet United

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pratley | Sarr | Purrington
Cullen | Kayal | Gallagher
Oztumer
Bonne

Substitutes Bench: Maynard Brewer | Pearce | Aneke | Doughty | Vennings | Oshilaja | Davison

Prediction
Along with our trips to Craven Cottage and Elland Road at the end of the season I’d say this is our toughest away game of the season – Slaven Bilic will no doubt want a better performance than the one he got on Tuesday night so we could well be on the receiving end of an onslaught – Bowyer knows how to get his team to defend though and will equally want to bounce back after a harsh defeat last time out!!

Comments

• Options
    A hard earned goalless draw.
  • Options
    Good preview FA , not sure if Purrington is fit again yet. When ever I predict a defeat for us on here ( not often ) , we usually win , so on that basis i'm going for 1-0 to WBA and hope for the best.
  • Options
    Can’t see past a loss unfortunately, yet LB won’t be having any of that. Fatigue will be a factor for us due to our pressing game, and our injury list exposes our less experience players against a very strong side. 2-0 to the baggies. 
  • Options
    Good preview FA, would make a couple of changes to your team, but then I am normally wrong anyway. After last night and with all of our injuries, I am expecting no more than a draw, but would be happy with that. 1-1
  • Options
    Watching the rugby in the pub in the morning then off to the Hawthorns with no great confidence!

having said that, our previous 3 game sequence saw us beat Leeds, lose midweek then draw at Fulham, and I’d take a repeat of that!

i imagine Bowyer will pick a team based on how they are physically after a tough game yesterday, but I doubt it will be much different from FA’s team
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    0923 out of Euston, Sky Q app to watch the rugby on the way up, could be busy with Luton at Birmingham on Saturday as well, going for a few drinks in Birmingham before heading out West Bromwich on the tram, looks like 20 minutes. 

Not expecting a result but determined to enjoy the day out either way    
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    I'm going to this game and am looking forward to it.
    To say it will be tough is an understatement with all the players we have out.
    But it gives others a chance to step up.
    Bowyer seems to have all the players buying into how he wants them to play.
    A hard faught  1.1 Draw.
  • Options
    It was always going to be a tough game but with our ever-growing injury list and West Brom having an extra day's recovery before the match we'll do well to come away with a point.

Who are we going to have fit to start and who will be left standing at the end?

Will Ben Purr be OK for Saturday or is his chariot still in for repairs? If he's still out we're either promoting Stevenson to the first team or shifting Solly across the pitch and putting Deji in on the right ... not that that will please a number of Lifers.

I wouldn't be too keen on BeckenSarr the Enforcer moving outside and bringing in the skipper on the left side of the three. Naby seems more comfortable playing on the left side of central defence instead of wider at full-back/half-back as his positional sense is better; when he's played at full back before he's tended to get drawn inside a bit too much, leaving too much space on the outside.

I would be delighted with a nought-nought but fully expect a hard-fought close defeat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Given our lack of depth this weekend and quality of opposition, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pratley (midfield), Sarr,  Lockyer and Pearce all play and that we sit back a lot early and not look to press until later in the match and look to score more in a counter attack from the likes of Gallagher or bonne.
  • Options
    1-0 snatch and grab away win
    Bonne with a birthday goal
  • Options
    2-1 to WBA.
  • Options
    With the constraints placed on us by Rolands continuing Reign of Error, it was to be expected that at some point injuries would bite us hard.  In true Charlton fashion we have not done things by half with the three latest injuries which seem initially bad. 

We shall just have to remain optimistic and to trust in Bows and the team.  The great start we have made means we can weather a bit of choppy water without frantically looking for the lifeboat.

Saturday to go again. I expect heartache but it would be just like us to get something from it.

Up the Addicks

• Options
    Reign of Error.  Excellent.

Thanks for preview FA
  • Options
    I can’t predict a Charlton loss, doesn’t seem right, so a hard fought 1-1.
  • Options
    We're getting thrashed. 4-0.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Life and soul you are  :)
  • Options
    A battling point will do. A local fixture for me, travelling by train so will be on the beers early doors. Every Saturday we follow.......
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Flying over from Finland for this one, first game since the play off final, win or lose it don't matter, really looking forward to it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I just have this bad feeling... 
  • Options
    Class half full here, that starting XI is strong enough to give anyone a game in this league, with a little bit of luck which we didn’t have the other night we’ll get something.

1-1 Bonne again, Pratley MOM
  • Options
    The game that could have won Lee manager of the month had we got a point Wednesday. That said, this is the game after which everyone will realise we are not fighting a relegation battle. A battling and slightly lucky 2-1 victory gets us right in the thick of things, and Charlton fans start to dream of the Prem. COYR
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I just have this bad feeling... 

Could be just wind ?
  • Options
    Not good with all these muddy injuries again, also one day less rest! 3-0 / 2-0 West Brom, although in the back of my mind this could be one of those results we somehow get something out of it. COYR
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    If we come away with anything from this game I can confidently say that we will all be delighted..........I wouldn’t put money on it though.
  • Options
    Not expecting anything. Then again easnt expecting anything from the Leeds game.
  • Options
    Field out for 8 weeks according to LB this morning.....
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Four kids to be on the bench apparently

LB: “It’s not hard to figure out who will have to come in because we haven’t got many options! We’ll have four kids on the bench.” #cafc

Davison | Doughty | Maynard-Brewer... Just who will be the fourth? - Stevenson or Dempsey I'd presume, despite saying Vennings in my preview
  • Options
    If we’d been able to field something close to our first choice eleven and bench, and if those we can field are not knackered, then I’d be confident that we’d get something out of this. Under the actual circumstances though we have to fear a drubbing. But you just never know with this bunch. We travel in hope rather than expectation.