Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Older Peoples Music

Should the BBC play more music to cater for people in their seventies. Since David Jacobs,Desmond Carrington,Alan Dell,and may more passed on,,there is no programm,s with the likes if Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, and many
 from The Great American and British Songbooks. I know there is Don Black on a Sunday,but thats only for Twelve weeks.

Comments

• No, they should play more Lewis Capaldi.
  • edited October 2019
    Apologies, the answer is Yes, plus they should play less Lewis Capaldi.
  • Someone born in 1952 would be younger than Dylan, the Beatles and the Stones.
  • Tony Blackburn also plays some old stuff Saturday morning but it’s more poppy rather than croonery.

To be fair, the beeb don’t do a bad job of catering for most, but there isn’t much there if you prefer the old stuff.
  • What about some Hawkwind or Marillion! 
  • The bbc still has a music station ? Who knew ?
  • Redrobo said:
    No.
    Would you like the modern way they ‘perform’ a radio program? 

I actually think there would be a limited demand for a radio show (say once a week) that was run along the lines of the ‘light programme’ with re-runs of the navy lark, round the horn, dick Barton, handcocks half hour, the clithoroe kid, does the team think, the goon show, journey into space, the Archie’s, and of course the tunes of the time in some sort of two ways family favourites etc and mixed into the after war history could be quite fun.

• Pringle said:
    What about some Hawkwind or Marillion! 
    Please god, NO.
  • Sponsored links:

• @Derek1952, have you tried your local radio station? My mother in law comes round here making requests for us to stream some right old shite very old music that she's heard on BBC Essex. I always tell her that we can't because Spotify is still broken since her last visit.
  • Surely that's what Radio 2 is for.
    Especially in the mornings!
  • Capital gold? 
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    No.

I actually think there would be a limited demand for a radio show (say once a week) that was run along the lines of the ‘light programme’ with re-runs of the navy lark, round the horn, dick Barton, handcocks half hour, the clithoroe kid, does the team think, the goon show, journey into space, the Archie’s, and of course the tunes of the time in some sort of two ways family favourites etc and mixed into the after war history could be quite fun.

Given your age, I am surprised you haven’t included ITMA, The Brains Trust and Chamberlain’s announcement of war.
  • And Lord Haw Haw
  • In my opinion regional BBC radio should cater more for the over 70s population.
    Regional BBC radio has taken a hammering over the past ten years and needs something to validate the licence fee.
  • And Lord Haw Haw
    My old man used to go out with his niece 
  • Derek1952 said:
    Should the BBC play more music to cater for people in their seventies. Since David Jacobs,Desmond Carrington,Alan Dell,and may more passed on,,there is no programm,s with the likes if Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, and many
     from The Great American and British Songbooks. I know there is Don Black on a Sunday,but thats only for Twelve weeks.

Think some of the local BBC stations (possibly not London) do some of that now.

There's also some pirate / online radio stations who do some music programmes aimed mainly at older listeners of caribbean origin (or listeners who like the genres) - RJR London has a fair bit of retro, or there's Ras Ezekiel 'Variety Man' on Galaxy Afiwe on Sunday evenings

Redrobo said:

Radio 4 Extra (think it's only on digital /online / via freeview telly) does some of that - there's a goon show and a beyond our ken on tomorrow

• As Henry alluded to, people in their 70s would be 10+ in 1960 so more likely to be into Beatles, Stones etc than Sinatra or Matt Munroe (I have been to his house) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Derek1952 said:
    Do you mean Funeral Music?
  • Clare Teal on a Sunday night before the Don Black spot, now occupied by Jools Holland.

Listened to it with my dad for the past two weeks. Not exactly my style but I did once see Frank sinatra live.
  • Have you tried Medieval FM?
  • And Lord Haw Haw
    My old man used to go out with his niece 
    And banged her up the arse 
  • i'm 71 in 2 weeks and was brought up on Cream / Hendrix  / Santana etc.  but still find something in today's music (mostly BluesRock / Jazz Fusion and singer/songwriters like Beth Hart) but not the lightweight pop drivel played on stations like  Heart FM which my missus has on all day.  
  • Mametz said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    No.

Given your age, I am surprised you haven’t included ITMA, The Brains Trust and Chamberlain’s announcement of war.
    Bloody cheek.

No respect you kids.
  • This septuagenarian is the worlds #1 Nightwish fan. Never liked Sinatra or the like, used to go to a rock concert nearly every Saturday night in my teens, and went to my first Stones concert in 1963. Indeed...
  • @blackpool72 do you remember 8-tracks?