Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Landmark goals

with BFG’s first return on Sunday when he will no doubt get an extra special round of applause because of that goal it got me thinking about what other landmark goals have been scored, goals that have had that extra special meaning or impact for one reason or other.

The only one that came to mind is Fortune’s goal that sent palace down but there must be others. 

Comments

• The goal Killer scored to make him our highest ever goalscorer. Think it was against Huddersfield ?
  • Leaburns (Derek Mountfields?) goal that broke his drought at Villa.
    Also his penalty at Ipswich that gave him his hat trick.

not landmark, but memorable.
  • Jim Tolmie!
  • Sponsored links:

• Peter Shirtliff,   2 landmark goals
  • Not so much critical as it was memorable, but Jensen's goal against Blackburn after Friedel had equalised for them was incredible  
  •  Not critical but just memorable. Lera v Swindon to complete the late comeback. 
  • I give you 3 by Super Clive
  • Was it the opening game of the east stand, pardew to make it 4-3 against southend? I think we'd been ahead, had blown the lead then Super Al popped up at the far post  to slide in the winner!
  • Sponsored links:

• A personal one for me. Carl Leaburn - 6 May 1989 vs Wimbledon at Shithurst, injured whilst scoring and had to go off. We won 1-0 with Bob Bolder saving a penalty towards the end of the game. The victory went a long way to secure another season in the 1st Division (the win against Derby shortly afterwards confirmed survival).

The game came after the first rumours/announcement that we were to return to The Valley and the 7,000 odd fans sang 'Back to The Valley' almost constantly for the 90 minutes, even though it took another 3 years and The Valley Party to make it happen.

I dragged my wife to the game, arriving late and parking what seemed miles away. She was heavily pregnant with our first at the time! 

• John Fortune’s goal against Palace must surely be up there
    and was mentioned in the very first post on this thread
  • Daddy_Pig said:
    Jackson at Hillsborough in 2012. The day we knew we were gonna win the league

Love Jacko to bits.

• Daddy_Pig said:
    Nah that was Danny Green's goal @ Yeovil on Boxing Day

Knew we'd win the League when we went from dropping points to winning whilst everyone else went from winning to dropping points... All in the space of a few mins
  • Bonne's first .. the start of a stellar career (we all fervently hope)
  • Daddy_Pig said:
    Nah that was Danny Green's goal @ Yeovil on Boxing Day

Knew we'd win the League when we went from dropping points to winning whilst everyone else went from winning to dropping points... All in the space of a few mins

This is it.........

• Robert Lee scoring the "final" goal at The Valley in 1985...
  • And of course Chris Duffy's winning FA Cup goal in 1947!
  • Cliff Durandt - last minute against Southampton at home to win 1-0. The goal meant that we had to beat fellow relegation strugglers Luton and Walsall to stay up - and we did!