Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Landmark goals

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Shirtliff brace and the Lisbie and Mendonca hat tricks all come to mind. Also the Robinson equaliser in the thriller against Man Utd. Fantastic.

But one goal in the dim distant past I remember was Palace v Charlton (I was there and it was featured on the Big Match). Malcolm Allison had instructed his defenders to let Colin Powell come inside as 'he had no left foot'. The defenders duly let Colin run inside and he struck an absolute left footed beauty into the net. Sadly I think we then went on to lose the match but still, a moment of magic.. 
  • Options
    Paul Miller Battle of the Bridge 1988
    1-1 to preserve our top flight safety and knock Chelsea in to the play offs
  • Options
    Kim Grant at the Den.

Almost a quarter of a century later we're still waiting to win there again.
    Hopefully we won't have to wait for much longer 😉
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:
    Jackson at Hillsborough in 2012. The day we knew we were gonna win the league

Love Jacko to bits.

And his free kick against the other Sheffield club at The Valley a week later was pretty special as well.
    Another two Jacko goals as we are on the subject.
    Last kick of the game against QPR at The Valley, the roof erupted when that went in.
    And the second Jacko goal I thought was pretty special was the winner at Watford on New Years Day. Think that finished 4-3 to us
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:
    Jackson at Hillsborough in 2012. The day we knew we were gonna win the league
    This, this, and this. 
    To win at Hillsborough what with growing up in Sheffield with my daughter standing beside, in her first season watching the Addicks was pure gold. She saw 11 wins and a draw away that season and thought that was normal Charlton. 

Jacki is a legend for us.
  • Options
    Bartlett volley by the Covered End. Incredible moment to have a Charlton player with the premier leagues goal of the season. 
  • Options
    Andy Hunt scoring, collapsing & I don't recall him playing for us again. 
  • Options
    Matt Svensson @ Blackburn Rovers
  • Options
    Mark Stuart's winner at Old Trafford in 1986. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Newton v Ipswich, playoff semi. Probably a mentioned in dispatches goal, but worthwhile nonetheless
  • Options
    Matt Tees , Ray Treacy  vs Derby County (Brian Clough, Jimmy McKay) 1969, 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Lisbie v Ipswich, playoff semi. Probably a mentioned in dispatches goal, but worthwhile nonetheless
    Do you mean Newton? Or have I forgotten a game somewhere?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    McBobbin said:
    Lisbie v Ipswich, playoff semi. Probably a mentioned in dispatches goal, but worthwhile nonetheless
    Do you mean Newton? Or have I forgotten a game somewhere?
    Dohhhhh you are right, I've edited. Thank god it's landmark and not memorable!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

A personal one for me. Carl Leaburn - 6 May 1989 vs Wimbledon at Shithurst, injured whilst scoring and had to go off. We won 1-0 with Bob Bolder saving a penalty towards the end of the game. The victory went a long way to secure another season in the 1st Division (the win against Derby shortly afterwards confirmed survival).

The game came after the first rumours/announcement that we were to return to The Valley and the 7,000 odd fans sang 'Back to The Valley' almost constantly for the 90 minutes, even though it took another 3 years and The Valley Party to make it happen.

I dragged my wife to the game, arriving late and parking what seemed miles away. She was heavily pregnant with our first at the time! 

I was at that one ... rididulous handball by Colin Walsh to give, I think Vinnie Jones, the chance to score and Bob Bolder did the rest.... 
  • Options
    Great list :)))
  • Options
    Jensen’s audacious chip as we pulled Arsenal apart at Highbury
    Did you see the first half?
  • Options
    Peter Shirtliff St Andrews 1987 Play Off Final replay

“oh it’s the goal which might well have preserved First Division football for Charlton Athletic and it’s Peter Shirtliff again, the Charlton supporters delirious”
    Every player that day should have been knighted.

King Lennie should have a stand named  after him.
  • Options
    Peter Shirtliff,   2 landmark goals
    THE most important in my lifetime by a mile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Dennis in the last minute anyone? Not really a landmark, but definitely one to remember.
    Top 5 goal celebrations.
  • Options
    Bartlett volley by the Covered End. Incredible moment to have a Charlton player with the premier leagues goal of the season. 
    That goal was almost identical to one scored by Di Canio when he was at West ham. 
    Sky must have shown the Di Canio goal 100 times. 
    Bartlett 's goal hardly ever. 
  • Options
    That goal was almost identical to one scored by Di Canio when he was at West ham. 
    Still not as good though as Ray Tracey against Derby 1969
  • Options
    The day that construction was finished on the Angel of the North.
  • Options
    Andy Hunt scoring, collapsing & I don't recall him playing for us again. 
    He never did. In fact, it was the end of his career.
  • Options
    Ben Purrington, first goal (we won't count Naby Sarr) at the new Wembley? Without the first we wouldn't have had the second. 
  • Options
    Pulisic for Chelsea scored a perfect hatrick this weekend. Left foot goal, right foot goal, and header. I was surprised to read how rare it is to happen
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    They are nothing alike IMO. Wasn’t the Di Canio goal the one that didn’t touch the floor from the corner which gives it the edge. 

EDIT - Sorry was thinking of a different goal. Yeah the angles were similar, the little scissor thing edges it for Di Canio but then Bartlett's was on his weaker foot, not much in it. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Maybe not landmark but memorable own goals at the Valley by Les Berry (back pass from the half way line) and Deano’s fumble for a 1-0 defeat
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Pulisic for Chelsea scored a perfect hatrick this weekend. Left foot goal, right foot goal, and header. I was surprised to read how rare it is to happen
    Well I've done it - at Blackheath Wanderers c. 1992. I can still picture every one clearly...