Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How Many Minutes Of Football Do You Reckon You Saw Today?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I know it always sounds like sour grapes when you complain about the other team time-wasting, playing boring football etc, but I honestly cant see Preston challenging for promotion playing like that. Youll pick up a few wins with it, but over the course of a 46 game season? Your Fulhams and your West Broms will rip em apart.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Going by the work that AA has excellently done, in just from 80-90 minutes, the ball was only in play for 4 mins 22 seconds.

There are also times where the ball is only in play for about 4 seconds between long stoppages.

This anti-football just has to stop, they need to do something because it ruins our game.

I’d be more than happy with 30 minute half with the clock stopped each time the ball is out of play.
    And of course this doesn't take into account periods when teams "legitimately" time waste by taking the ball into the corner for example.
    My solution to taking the ball to the corner flag to waste time is to allow anyone to kick the person shielding the ball as hard as they like if they try to shield the ball within 5 yards of the corner flag. That would stop it.
  • Options
    The only way to stop it is 30 min halves, time stops for every stoppage in play, doesn't start again until the ball is played, no injury time. There are clocks in every league ground and most of the non league teams have at least a small scoreboard with a clock on it now, 4th official could be in charge of timing or even a 5th official, much better use of officials than VAR
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    I know it always sounds like sour grapes when you complain about the other team time-wasting, playing boring football etc, but I honestly cant see Preston challenging for promotion playing like that. Youll pick up a few wins with it, but over the course of a 46 game season? Your Fulhams and your West Broms will rip em apart.
    As my esteemed colleague points out.....Preston are the top goal-scorers in the division - must be doing something right.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Never mind Preston, or anyone, challenging for promotion "playing" like that but how on earth is that going to entice anyone to come and watch them?

There are many things that bug me about modern football and that level of cynicism and gamesmanship (or, to put it more bluntly, "cheating") is high on my list. I hate it when the oppo do it, I hate it when we do it.

Time-wasting, diving, feigning injury, surrounding the referee, waving imaginary cards to get a player booked or sent off ... the whole bloody lot pisses me off.

If it wasn't for the fact I've been well and truly indoctrinated in the cult of Charlton for almost forty years I probably wouldn't bother with football any more.
    Yeah, it's incredibly frustrating to watch any team do it, and it really makes the game very boring. But unless it becomes taboo to do this, teams will do it to gain any advantage they can
  • Options
    the one that really got me annoyed was their full back. Throw in the ball at his feet he kicked it away and stood still. Lapslie ended up having to get it. Reaction of referee - nothing! 
    Dreadful all round. And yes everyone time wastes and slows the game down when their winning but Preston were by far the worst this season. How much was them and how much was the ref letting them get away with it is open to debate
  • Options
    None that I would class as entertaining football
    The whole game was a shocker
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Never mind Preston, or anyone, challenging for promotion "playing" like that but how on earth is that going to entice anyone to come and watch them?

There are many things that bug me about modern football and that level of cynicism and gamesmanship (or, to put it more bluntly, "cheating") is high on my list. I hate it when the oppo do it, I hate it when we do it.

Time-wasting, diving, feigning injury, surrounding the referee, waving imaginary cards to get a player booked or sent off ... the whole bloody lot pisses me off.

If it wasn't for the fact I've been well and truly indoctrinated in the cult of Charlton for almost forty years I probably wouldn't bother with football any more.
    To be fair to them
    They brought a fair following with them considering it's a sunday 12 o'clock ko and they are 6 hrs away
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

To be fair to them
    They brought a fair following with them considering it's a sunday 12 o'clock ko and they are 6 hrs away
    Away fans tend to be a hard-core bunch so they'd be going anyway. Bloody good effort by them under the circumstances.

However, how many new fans would yesterday's performance bring in for Preston? If that was the first game of football you'd ever seen, either live or on the idiot lantern, would you be rushing back for a second fix?

If anything, yesterday's game was a bloody good advert for rugby, cricket, American football, Aussie Rules ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    While Preston's single-minded determination to win at all costs might be considered admirable and necessary for a sports team, it also completely overlooks the fact that football is an entertainment.  It's not a cheap day out and people would actually like some entertainment in return for their hard earned cash.  It's no wonder Preston fans don't sing much if that's the sort of grim "professionalism" they have to witness every week.
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    While Preston's single-minded determination to win at all costs might be considered admirable and necessary for a sports team, it also completely overlooks the fact that football is an entertainment.  It's not a cheap day out and people would actually like some entertainment in return for their hard earned cash.  It's no wonder Preston fans don't sing much if that's the sort of grim "professionalism" they have to witness every week.
    I'm a  hypocrite .. IF we had got a win from the rubbish 'entertainment' both teams dished out yesterday, I would have been delighted. Basically, if we win I am not too fussed about how we achieve it. That's why now and again I go to watch other teams (especially Leicester) where I can enjoy a game and not really give a toss about who wins so long as it's good football that I am watching
  • Options
    Entertainment factor has been replaced by a demand for results these days

Reckon a lot more Managers would play a more exciting brand of Football if they knew they were going to get long enough in the job - Instead its safer for them to play boring Football and get a 1-0 win because it means the fans will be happier. Exciting football during that win is nothing more than a bonus

And thats the same for Lee Bowyer too, am sure Brentford / Leeds fans saw us as boring during our 1-0 wins against them, we showed up got the 1-0 win and went home happy, us Charlton fans will see it as a defensive masterclass our opponents will have probably seen it as a smash and grab with gamesmanship and a lot of time wasting on our part

Of course we all know that we can play exciting Football (Derby and Stoke are examples of that this season) whilst there is nothing to say that Preston cant play exciting football each week themselves, for starters they've scored the most goals this season so that speaks for itself, ultimately we just dont know because we dont see Preston playing every week - For all we know; Alex Neil saw how we struggled against Birmingham / Wigan so decided to do similar to what they did
  • Options
    Jason Pearce “It was a professional performance by them. If we are in that position we’d try and do the same.“
  • Options
    Just to be clear I wasn't having a go at Preston. This is more a frustration that football is archaic in terms of timekeeping and does little or nothing to prevent teams from wasting time.

In addition, the game in general has become full of negativity - coaches look at ways of stopping the opposition from playing by defending from the front and if necessary getting 11 behind the ball. The average number of shots on target in the Championship per side over the weekend was less than 4 (no team had more than 6) and that stat is indicative of the way football has gone.
  • Options
    Entertainment factor has been replaced by a demand for results these days

Reckon a lot more Managers would play a more exciting brand of Football if they knew they were going to get long enough in the job - Instead its safer for them to play boring Football and get a 1-0 win because it means the fans will be happier. Exciting football during that win is nothing more than a bonus

And thats the same for Lee Bowyer too, am sure Brentford / Leeds fans saw us as boring during our 1-0 wins against them, we showed up got the 1-0 win and went home happy, us Charlton fans will see it as a defensive masterclass our opponents will have probably seen it as a smash and grab with gamesmanship and a lot of time wasting on our part

Of course we all know that we can play exciting Football (Derby and Stoke are examples of that this season) whilst there is nothing to say that Preston cant play exciting football each week themselves, for starters they've scored the most goals this season so that speaks for itself, ultimately we just dont know because we dont see Preston playing every week - For all we know; Alex Neil saw how we struggled against Birmingham / Wigan so decided to do similar to what they did

I'll grant you it's some sort of back-handed compliment that Preston would come to the Valley and behave the way they did.  All I know is, I had to watch their gobshite players acting up all game and ruin what could have been an exciting match between two of the league's top teams.  Sky must have been well chuffed with the crap .

I still like to think that in the same situation, Charlton wouldn't resort to Preston's cynical tactics and in some cases, outright blatant cheating.  In all my years of following Charlton it's one of the things I appreciate most, they are generally an honest team and always have been.  Even though not being quite so cynical has cost us games in the past, I can live with that.   
  • Options
    Yep this style of time wasting football seems to be increasing.

For me though Birmingham take the wooden spoon this season so far for longest/most frustrating time wasting.  
  • Options
    Rugby has the answer. Stop the clock for any major stoppages (not for throw ons or corners, but for injuries, subs & any "un-natural" break in play) then you might get close to 45 mins of play.

It will also help with the flow of the game. I've always felt that it's weird that a 'block' of time is added onto the end of a match when those missing minutes happened at varying different times & varying different stages of play. Eg. You might have just scored & the momentum is with you. A player is injured (like their player today) and the game is stopped for 3 minutes. Once restarted the game has 'died' a bit & your momentum is lost. However, when that 3 minutes is added at the end of the game(along with other stoppage time) you might be hanging on & the opposition has, say, 5 mins of 'injury time' in which to press for a winner. 
    But then rugby doesn't stop the clock for set pieces, hence an eternity seems to go by before a scrum or penalty is taken. For much of the game, Saturday's final was hardly an entertaining spectacle for the neutral either!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Sage said:
    Yes I know we played very little football - a total lack of creativity against a team that came to spoil.

In the match thread I expressed my frustration that the Ref only awarded 7 minutes added time at the end of the 2nd half. Whilst there were 8 min 6 secs eventually added, from studying the recording, it should have actually been 10 min 5 secs. That research, however, offered insight into another aspect - how much time the ball is actually in play.

Of 53 mins 6 secs 2nd half duration, the ball was in play for 22 mins 45 secs. It was not in play for 30 mins 21 secs. There were a staggering 69 interruptions during the course of the half.

In this day and age and with technology so readily available, surely there has to be a way to guarantee a certain number of "in play" minutes - even if it is only a minimum of say 30 mins per half. 

The fact we probably wouldn't have scored if we played 'til midnight is neither here nor there!
    Those numbers for the second half is absolutely ridiculous. I think that shows just how much they came to frustrate and spoil.

Yes, we were very poor today, but what chance did we have of building any kind of momentum, attacking play, or pressure, when the ball was hardly in play?

It’s things like this that they also have to protect the integrity of the game. Why are people paying out so much, travelling for hours, just to have the game ruined like it was today? You can excuse poor performances and not being at it sometimes, it’s rare for a Bowyer side, but when it’s such little football anyway, it makes it ridiculous.
    I totally agree. I know they want to maximise their chances of a win but the way they went about it was ridiculous. And I would criticise us if we did the same. The play acting seemd the worst I'd seen in a while. Surely all players must realise their 'reactions' are filmed - I strongly believe there should be severe repurcussions when it can be seen (albeit after) that a player rolls around 'in agony' when they weren't even touched where they claim or not even touched at all! Same applies to us. Some diving harder to prove as could be avoiding contact as is making more out of contact than it actually is, but feigning an injury where there was no contact at all is plain cheating

I appeciate the games are quite different but I have always felt football can learn a lot from rubgy. The attitude to the ref for starters. Maybe the timing with the clock stopping etc. I appreciate rubgy players are a lot tougher, mainly due to the nature of the game, but you don't see the rolling around shenigans where the players miraculously get up and sprint off seconds after limping for a few steps
  • Options
    Weve done the time-wasting gamesmanship thing in the past, but only if we are holding on to a narrow 1 nil win with 10 minutes left. Id be embarassed if we starting doing that half an hour in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Yes I know we played very little football - a total lack of creativity against a team that came to spoil.

In the match thread I expressed my frustration that the Ref only awarded 7 minutes added time at the end of the 2nd half. Whilst there were 8 min 6 secs eventually added, from studying the recording, it should have actually been 10 min 5 secs. That research, however, offered insight into another aspect - how much time the ball is actually in play.

Of 53 mins 6 secs 2nd half duration, the ball was in play for 22 mins 45 secs. It was not in play for 30 mins 21 secs. There were a staggering 69 interruptions during the course of the half.

In this day and age and with technology so readily available, surely there has to be a way to guarantee a certain number of "in play" minutes - even if it is only a minimum of say 30 mins per half. 

The fact we probably wouldn't have scored if we played 'til midnight is neither here nor there!
    Those numbers for the second half is absolutely ridiculous. I think that shows just how much they came to frustrate and spoil.

Yes, we were very poor today, but what chance did we have of building any kind of momentum, attacking play, or pressure, when the ball was hardly in play?

It’s things like this that they also have to protect the integrity of the game. Why are people paying out so much, travelling for hours, just to have the game ruined like it was today? You can excuse poor performances and not being at it sometimes, it’s rare for a Bowyer side, but when it’s such little football anyway, it makes it ridiculous.
    I totally agree. I know they want to maximise their chances of a win but the way they went about it was ridiculous. And I would criticise us if we did the same. The play acting seemd the worst I'd seen in a while. Surely all players must realise their 'reactions' are filmed - I strongly believe there should be severe repurcussions when it can be seen (albeit after) that a player rolls around 'in agony' when they weren't even touched where they claim or not even touched at all! Same applies to us. Some diving harder to prove as could be avoiding contact as is making more out of contact than it actually is, but feigning an injury where there was no contact at all is plain cheating

I appeciate the games are quite different but I have always felt football can learn a lot from rubgy. The attitude to the ref for starters. Maybe the timing with the clock stopping etc. I appreciate rubgy players are a lot tougher, mainly due to the nature of the game, but you don't see the rolling around shenigans where the players miraculously get up and sprint off seconds after limping for a few steps
    It helps that in rugby the physio can come on the pitch while play is still going on, so collapsing to the ground doesn't mean that play is automatically stopped
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    CAFCTrev said:
    Weve done the time-wasting gamesmanship thing in the past, but only if we are holding on to a narrow 1 nil win with 10 minutes left. Id be embarassed if we starting doing that half an hour in. 
    Pearce does it all the time at the end of matches. We're defending a corner, Pearce collapses to the ground and wins the free kick, then either takes 30 seconds to get up or needs treatment from the physio
  • Options
    Sage said:

It helps that in rugby the physio can come on the pitch while play is still going on, so collapsing to the ground doesn't mean that play is automatically stopped
    My comparison with rugby was that the players only stop and require treatment if they need to and don't roll around when they haven't even been touched and then get up and sprint off shortly after, after a few seconds of limping to save face. They also seem to make considerably less fuss even with serious injuries. The physio coming on during play is a different matter