Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL Trip to The Normandy Beaches & Bayeux - Friday 17th to Sunday 19th July 2020.

Trip to The Normandy Beaches & Bayeux - Friday 17th to Sunday 19th July 2020.

Following hot on the heels of this year’s successful trip to The Somme we have decided to move away from WWI and on to WW2 for our trip next year, 2020.

Once again the trip is being guided by our very own military expert Clive and anyone who has been on either of our last two trips can attest that he is extremely knowledgeable, interesting and makes the trip come alive with his tales and anecdotes.

This time we have decided to make this a three day, two night trip to enable us sufficient time to visit various sites of interest. We will be leaving early Friday morning, returning mid evening on the Sunday.

We are basing ourselves in Bayeux, that of the famous tapestry, as it has a wide selection of hotels and  B & B’s to suit all budgets as well as numerous restaurants and watering holes.

As before it is up to you to book (and pay for !) your own accommodation for the two nights that we will be in Bayeux. It is of course entirely up to the individual but on most websites you can book accommodation with free cancellation up to the day before arrival which may be prudent in case of emergencies.

As the coach will drop off and pick up from an as yet unidentified location in the town centre it is probably best to stay somewhere centrally, also handy for bars and restaurants. Clive, myself and more importantly the coach will be staying at the Campanile Bayeux.

As before, we have tried to keep the cost down as much as possible whilst at the same time being mindful of the fact that we want to make donations to both The Upbeats and the Charlton Museum in lieu of Clive providing his valuable time and knowledge free of charge.

As a result, the cost of this trip will be £105 per person which includes the hire of the coach and driver for three days, the drivers accommodation and meals, the Eurotunnel fees and donations to charity.

We will require a deposit of £50 per person which is held securely in a bank account and will be returned in full if we do not get sufficient numbers to make the trip viable. The remaining balance of £55 per person will be due by 30th April 2020. Once we have committed to paying both the Eurotunnel fees and the hire of the coach refunds will only be possible if another person can be found to take your place.

There are just 43 spaces available for this trip and these will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Once you have decided you would like to book a place(s) then please message me and I will provide you with the bank account details for your deposit(s). (Please note that this is NOT the same account as for previous trips). When your deposit(s) are received I will message you confirmation of receipt and then your places(s) will be secured. Please quote your Charlton Life user name when making your payment. If you want to make full payment of £105 pp up-front then please feel free to do so.

Please find below the initial itinerary but please note that at the moment all times are approximate until we can book the Eurotunnel crossings but we don’t expect them to change significantly.

That’s all for now folks (thank gawd I hear you say) except to say that both Clive and I hope to see you on the trip. Any questions of either of us please ask on this thread or private message us. If there is a particular site, cemetery or place you would like to visit please ask and we will do our best to work it into the itinerary. It is such personal visits that make our trips all that more interesting and poignant.  

Many thanks

Neal and Clive

@largeaddick @SE7toSG3

Itinerary

Friday 17th July 2020 - Day One

0600  Depart Charlton

0630  Depart Ebbsfleet International

0830  Folkestone Eurotunnel Terminal Departure

1000  Arrive Calais

1500  Arrive Pegasus Bridge/Ranville CWGC for the Coup de Main glider operations 5 June 1944 

1900  Arrive Bayeux for Hotels

Saturday 18th July 2020 - Day Two - D-Day

Morning - The British landings, Gold, Sword, Juno Beach, Arromanches (Mulberry Harbour for lunch)
Afternoon - The US Landings at Omaha Beach/Pont du Hoc 

Sunday 19th July 2020  - Day Three - The inland battles

Morning - Operation Goodwood/Bluecoat, the loss of Charlton player Geoff Reynolds, Bayeux museum/Memorial

Afternoon return to Calais for a 1900 crossing

1830  Arrive Folkestone Eurotunnel Terminal

1930  Arrive Ebbsfleet International

2000  Arrive Charlton      

Comments

• Mailed you mate...
  • Mailed you mate...
    have replied ..
  • Add me to the list please!
  • Count me in please Neal
  • N01R4M said:
    Add me to the list please!
    Have messaged you

Count me in please Neal
    Have messaged you too
  • 2 please Neal
    Have messaged you
  • edited November 2019
    N01R4M said:
    Have messaged you

Count me in please Neal
    Have messaged you too
    Bollox, just realised it’s my sister’s 50th birthday that Saturday so very unlikely I’ll be able to make it.

I don’t want to muck you about so you’ll have to count me out I’m afraid.

I’d already reserved the Campanile for the 2 nights and will keep it until I know for definite but that probably won’t be for a while yet. 

Gutted 
  • N01R4M said:
    Have messaged you

Count me in please Neal
    Have messaged you too
    Bollox, just realised it’s my sister’s 50th birthday that Saturday so very unlikely I’ll be able to make it.

I’d already reserved the Campanile for the 2 nights and will keep it until I know for definite but that probably won’t be for a while yet. 

Gutted 

take your sister away for the weekend ;-))
  • Sponsored links:

• N01R4M said:
    Have messaged you

Count me in please Neal
    Have messaged you too

Gutted 

take your sister away for the weekend ;-))
    I thought we were going to Normandy, not Norfolk.
  • For anyone thinking of going, I can’t recommend it highly enough.

What Clive doesn’t know, isn’t worth bothering about and is such an engaging guide.

The organisation is also spot on and you get to spend a couple of days with likeminded Addicks (plus the money raised goes to 2 great causes).

Am so gutted I probably won’t be able to make it. 
  • Yes please. Gutted I missed the one this year. 
  • rananegra said:
    Yes please. Gutted I missed the one this year. 
    have messaged you
  • Have messaged you Neal.
  • Have messaged you Neal.

have replied
  • Thanks again the Neal for organising and Clive for donating his time.

The museum appreciates all the money raised.  
  • This book might well interest those on this thread

https://www.greenwich.co.uk/roll-of-honour-1914-1918/
  • I am in Neal, as are Fat Peter Garland and his two mates from last year and Charlton Lane and his brother (also last year) So that's six at the moment and will confirm actual names in a direct message.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am in Neal, as are Fat Peter Garland and his two mates from last year and Charlton Lane and his brother (also last year) So that's six at the moment and will confirm actual names in a direct message.
    👍 
  • Hi Neal I'd like to go for certain My wife's out at moment so it's one certain one possible. I will confirm and pay you later tonight 
  • Hi Neal I'd like to go for certain My wife's out at moment so it's one certain one possible. I will confirm and pay you later tonight 
    Will message you with bank details in a little while.
    Church Lane, not Charlton Lane! FFS call yourself a mate?
  • Count me in please!
    Been out of the loop a bit this year due to family illness/problems so really looking forward to this.
  • Count me in please!
    Been out of the loop a bit this year due to family illness/problems so really looking forward to this.
    Have messaged you
  • Late to the thread, but if there’s 2 seats left we’ll take them 👍🏻
  • Fumbluff said:
    Late to the thread, but if there’s 2 seats left we’ll take them 👍🏻
    Will message you the bank details
  • Nearly half the places booked and deposits paid ..