Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Long Lost Cine Film The Valley circa 1969?

Comments

• Options
    I love this site
  • Options
    I recognise Phil Warman and Dave Shipperley from Henry's list that  played in SE counties team. Once the film has been digitised maybe Phil Warman could pick out players. He was at Valley Centenary game wasn't he?
  • Options
    Is that Bob Curtis in the list?Before my time but recognise the name
  • Options
    Masiello is now head of the Former Players Association

R D Curtis is indeed Bob Curtis, sadly no longer, with us.  I think he was a regular that season but seems to have played a couple of youth games too.

Whatever happened to van Vuuran?  An exotic name for the time.
  • Options
    Suspect he was a Saffer.
  • Options
    Wasn't Reg Dedman in "Goodnight Sweetheart"?
  • Options
    I remember John Stenson & Paul Gilchrist. I used to watch a lot of youth & reserves games back then. If I recall correctly they were pretty prolific scorers but although they both played for the first team neither of them really made it with us
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I remember John Stenson & Paul Gilchrist. I used to watch a lot of youth & reserves games back then. If I recall correctly they were pretty prolific scorers but although they both played for the first team neither of them really made it with us
    Paul Gilchrist made it at Southampton and was in their 1-0 cup winning team over Man Utd in 1976
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    If the R Dent in Henry's list  is one Roger Dent then he was a decent player and I knew him quite well. R (Bob) Dedman was also very useful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    John Stenson, Phil Warman and Lee Newlyn were all at my school,albeit in different years, Stenson was a schoolboy international who if memory serves me right went for a trial at Manchester Utd whilst still on our books. Phil started life as a left winger but his career only took off when he was converted to left back and Lee who was a centre half at school never made it into the first team.
  • Options
    Stenson's mum worked with my mum around that time.
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    John Stenson, Phil Warman and Lee Newlyn were all at my school,albeit in different years, Stenson was a schoolboy international who if memory serves me right went for a trial at Manchester Utd whilst still on our books. Phil started life as a left winger but his career only took off when he was converted to left back and Lee who was a centre half at school never made it into the first team.
    Phil Warman was indeed a left winger in youth football for Lewisham United whose team was made up of Charlton and Millwall colts. Their main rivals were Welling United (before they climbed the football pyramid) and they also had a number of Charlton and Millwall colts in their side.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    f the R Dent in Henry's list  is one Roger Dent then he was a decent player and I knew him quite well. R (Bob) Dedman was also very useful.
    Robert Dedman was in my year at Eltham Green between 1966 and 1972. Very, very good player.
  • Options
    John Bingham - signed a pro-contract with us, then left almost immediately to go to Manchester City. But never made their first team. Dropped into the lower divisions and faded from the game. Think he was one of the batch of players we picked up in the east Midlands when Bert Johnson (?) was scouting for us there, the others being Vic Halom, Dennis Booth, Alan Ellis and Bob Curtis.
  • Options
    got the below message direct from my old man who doesn’t have an account on CL 

“think that’s the match involved is Charlton v Fulham S.E.C.
    League Div .1  kick off .2.30 p.m. at the Valley on Sat 27th April 1968.
    Result 1-1
    Fixture was advertised in the Bristol City home programme 20/4/68.

The Spurs v Man City fixture was on Sat 4th May 1968. Spurs lost 1-3..
    I believe it was Dave Mackay last home appearance for the Spurs before
    his transfer to Derby.”
  • Options
    Sherlock Holmes is as nobody compared to the massed ranks of Charlton Life.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    That's interesting that the Spurs game was Dave Mackay's last match. There's a lot more of the Spurs game on the full film.

The film came to my dad via a neighbour around 1980-81. (Hello John Fordham if you are out there on Charlton Life) He used to take my brother and I to Charlton.

My dad has no interest in football and only knows one player Sam Bartram. (If you only know  one that's a goodun). I think we only saw the film once on the old projector around 1980 and I didn't see it again until last weekend.

We are going to get it digitised and hopefully when that's done put the full film on here.
  • Options
    Where are the fans?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Has Dave Shipperley been mentioned?
    Just had another look and yes, he has.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where are the fans?
    This was during the boycott caused by Gliksten banning the peanut man.

Caused huge drop in attendances as can be seen.

Airman Brown cites it as the inspiration for both the Valley Party and CARD in his book.
  • Options
    The Peanut man banning was a terrible situation, but what really pushed me over the edge was when Sicksten sold off the half time score blackboards to Gillingham.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    The Peanut man banning was a terrible situation, but what really pushed me over the edge was when Sicksten sold off the half time score blackboards to Gillingham.

Agree. They promised us a scoreboard but it took another 37 years to appear
  • Options
    I remember going to a lot of reserve games in the late 60's/early 70's but they were evening games. Were those games in the SE Counties league?
  • Options
    I think this SE counties match against Fulham was played at the Valley on 27 April as it was the last game of the season and I think the team may have been challenging at the top. Normally the youth team would not have appeared at the Valley.
  • Options
    John Stenson was touted to be the next “emerging star” and expected to go on to big things........needless to say, that never happened.
  • Options
    John Stenson was touted to be the next “emerging star” and expected to go on to big things........needless to say, that never happened.
    He ended up at Mansfield I think.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    He ended up at Mansfield I think.
    My Dad played In the same Sunday league team with Stenson’s brother, Tony. He was a former schoolboy international but was at that point a sports journalist for a local paper.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Bournesnr said:
    Phil Warman was indeed a left winger in youth football for Lewisham United whose team was made up of Charlton and Millwall colts. Their main rivals were Welling United (before they climbed the football pyramid) and they also had a number of Charlton and Millwall colts in their side.I
    I also think you will find that Phil Warmans' elder brother John played for Welling United as a youth.