Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Long Lost Cine Film The Valley circa 1969?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I remember John Stenson & Paul Gilchrist. I used to watch a lot of youth & reserves games back then. If I recall correctly they were pretty prolific scorers but although they both played for the first team neither of them really made it with us
    John Stenson was touted to be the next “emerging star” and expected to go on to big things........needless to say, that never happened.
    I actually saw John Stenson play, in what I believe, was his only Charlton League game, in February 1968 ...... against league leaders QPR, featuring the Morgan twins on each wing and Rodney Marsh.

We were woefully short of numbers as defender Peter Reeves decided to get married on the day of a League match, and half the team went to the wedding!

Rookie keeper Ron Willis made his debut in goal and John Stenson made his one and only Charlton appearance in midfield.
    With QPR quickly racing into a 2-0 lead, despite the Covered End singing "Rodney is a fairy", our midfield was totally over run.

Then soon after, young Willis in goal was badly injured and the ambulance with blue light flashing, carted him off to hospital.
    He never played for Charlton again either. Bobby Curtis quickly pulled one back from the penalty spot, then promptly limped off (obviously he had to get to the wedding) leaving us with just 10 men, before QPR inevitably made it 3-1.

With 5 minutes to go, the referee awarded us a corner kick that never was ..... and teenaged centre half Paul Went scored with a bullet header into the top corner. The "Grandstand Finish" was on, The Valley came alive and roared on by the crowd, Charlton were making Rangers look rattled ...... just as the referee was looking at his watch, winger Keithy Peacock sprung the offside trap running from his own half onto a speculative over the top pass - and fired past the advancing keeper. The last kick of the match, 3-3!

It's amazing what you remember from when you were 12 years old. Nowadays I can barely remember what I did yesterday!
    Anyway, John Stenson ...... some nice touches and tidy on the ball, but only 19 and a bit lightweight. Never again wore the famous red shirt and went to the lower divisions - before making a career as a football reporter on the Sunday Peephole, I believe.

Ha ha, that brought a memory back, I'd forgot all about that Rodney is a fairy chant, it did make me laugh at the time. This match is one of my earliest memories of going to the Valley but as a 7 year old, the fact half the team were AWOL passed me by!
  • Options
    It's interesting hearing about that chant Stockport Addick. If that was to happen today it would be back page news and the club would be in trouble. I think this week a Tranmere fan was arrested for homophobic chanting at the Wycombe Wanderers keeper Ryan Allsop for wearing a pink strip.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Tem v Fulham

Hayward, Curtis (McAlpine), J Brown, Tait, Hance, Dedman, Hall, van Vuuren, Gilchrist, Masiello, Warman

McAlpine, who substituted for the injured Bob Curtis, had played for the junior colts team earlier in the day, scoring two goals.

Result: Charlton 1 (Tait) Fulham 1

Thanks to museum trustee, stats man and programme collector Paul Baker

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Addickted said:
    Suspect he was a Saffer.
    Amazingly @Addicted was right for once.

Info again from Paul Baker

Bruce van Vuuren b. Cape Town 1950. Charlton colts and reserves in season 1967/68. Returned to Cape Town in Mar. 1969. Played for Greenpoint F.C. (Western Province) and Camps Bay before joining Arcadia United (Pretoria).

Maybe the last of the many South Africans recruited direct from the Cape.  Fish and Bartlett came via other European clubs. 

• Options
    I was there, remember it well, it was an amazing comeback.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I was there, remember it well, it was an amazing comeback.
    Also, I remember, the game legendary striker Ray Treacy made his debut.

We signed him from West Brom for about £20,000 (no doubt the last of the Len Glover transfer money).
    Was only a reserve at WBA but already a full Eire international - really made an impact at Charlton, scoring some memorable goals ....... who can forget his brace at Palace away in the FA Cup replay win? And that stunning volley against Brian Clough's league leaders Derby County.