Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your favourite movie ending scene

Comments

• Options
    Some like it hot
  • Options
    frankly my dear, I don't give a damn .. (if not the very last words, they should be)
  • Options
    I know it’s a bit cheesy but I always liked the ending to Field of Dreams.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    addick19 said:
    Going back a bit but the closing scene with John Wayne in 'The Searchers'.
    I love some of the endings mentioned, The Usual Suspects, The Long Good Friday, The Good the Bad and the Ugly and (my favourite film ever) Zulu, but the ending for The Searchers is just great. Great choice.
    Can anyone help me understand why Usual Suspects is so popular?

We find out that everything we’ve watched before the end was a lie. We’ve no idea if any of it actually happened. At most we know that there’s a bad guy called Soze and he killed a bunch of people to protect his identity, but not necessarily in the way that we saw. In fact we know that at least half the people - and potentially 90% of them - didn’t exist. That’s not a plot twist that’s... lame! 

Bryan Singer said “there’s no right answer” and I’d say that’s because the writing wasn’t smart enough to have one. Just a gimmick ending. Unlike, say, Inception where Nolan insists there is a definitive answer to whether or not Cobb is in the real world. 
    It's a film. They're mainly all "lies".

It's a great film.
    Guess I asked the wrong person. 
    Meaning?
    Meaning you didn't reinforce his view for him... 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    addick19 said:
    I love some of the endings mentioned, The Usual Suspects, The Long Good Friday, The Good the Bad and the Ugly and (my favourite film ever) Zulu, but the ending for The Searchers is just great. Great choice.

We find out that everything we’ve watched before the end was a lie. We’ve no idea if any of it actually happened. At most we know that there’s a bad guy called Soze and he killed a bunch of people to protect his identity, but not necessarily in the way that we saw. In fact we know that at least half the people - and potentially 90% of them - didn’t exist. That’s not a plot twist that’s... lame! 

Bryan Singer said “there’s no right answer” and I’d say that’s because the writing wasn’t smart enough to have one. Just a gimmick ending. Unlike, say, Inception where Nolan insists there is a definitive answer to whether or not Cobb is in the real world. 

It's a great film.
    Meaning?
    Why do you like an ending that doesn’t make any sense? 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    addick19 said:

It's a great film.
    Meaning?
    Makes sense to me.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, he's gone.
  • Options
    Yes to Some Like It Hot, but you can add The Apartment to that. Two from the same director. There you go. If you haven't seen it watch it now.
  • Options
    The Lord of the Rings - I've never been so happy for a film to end. Felt like it lasted for days.
    You take that back 
  • Options
    Can’t believe Fight Club hasn’t got a mention too...
  • Options
    It’s just been on again tonight, but the last couple of minutes of Rogue One, when Vader loses his shit, the moment the lightsaber gets lit is amazing 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL8bVJhXCM&feature=youtu.be
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    It’s just been on again tonight, but the last couple of minutes of Rogue One, when Vader loses his shit, the moment the lightsaber gets lit is amazing 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL8bVJhXCM&feature=youtu.be
    That wasn't in the script originally. They chucked it in last minute as they wanted to see Vader kick some ass
  • Options
    I'm going to add The Prestige. Great film, excellent ending, and I love the Michael Caine speech at the start and finish. "It's not enough to make it vanish. You 'ave to bring it back'. Class
  • Options
    It's a Wonderful Life obviously .
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    addick19 said:

It's a great film.
    Meaning?
    Makes perfect sense to me too. Have I missed something that makes it NOT make sense? 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    It's a Wonderful Life obviously .
    Attaboy, Clarence.
  • Options
    Primal fear
  • Options
    The Italian Job - Hang on a minute lads, I’ve got a great idea
  • Options
    Some like it hot
    Ice cold in Alex
    Carrie
    Grease :-)
  • Options
    2001 Space Odyssey
  • Options
    Jaws. Watched it over 100 times and yet still the hairs stand up on the back of my neck at the end. "Smile you son of a bitch".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mines probably the one about a Belgian Dictator, who storms through some red gates and turns around and says “I’ll be back”
    Plagiarism.
  • Options
    Snowden, cutting the actual person in place of the actor. Brings in home.

Similar effect, through more dramatic, in Land and Freedom (ken loach)
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I know it was exactly the ending because they had an extra few minutes after with Danny getting arrested and getting out(which added to the story) but I the water fountain scene from Oceans 11 would have made a great ending.

Was reading and interview with Steven Soderbergh who said he told the cast that other than Carl Reiner leaving last everyone else was to walk away when it felt right for their character
  • Options
    Apparently ‘Sunderland Til I die’ part 2 is soon to be released. I don’t want to ruin it for everybody, but apparently the end is superb.
  • Options
    Some great choices here. I'd add:

Godfather 
    Some Like it Hot ("I'm a man" "Well nobody's perfect")
    The Italian Job
    Kind Hearts and Coronets
    It's a Wonderful Life (schmaltzy but like Toy Story 3 guaranteed to bring a tear to my eye)

• Options
    mart77 said:
    I know it’s a bit cheesy but I always liked the ending to Field of Dreams.

On a baseball theme, I'd include The Natural 
  • Options
    Although Kevin Spacey is now PSN this ia my favourite film ending.....

• Options
    Jaws. Watched it over 100 times and yet still the hairs stand up on the back of my neck at the end. "Smile you son of a bitch".
    It's a brilliant scene, but there are five minutes of the film left still after that, so not the 'ending'  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    It's a brilliant scene, but there are five minutes of the film left still after that, so not the 'ending'  :)
    The credits were good!? 🙂
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Off_it said:
    addick19 said:

It's a great film.
    Meaning?
    Makes perfect sense to me too. Have I missed something that makes it NOT make sense? 

The end is gimmicky and the film doesn't hang together as a result, on any level. It doesn't make narrative sense. It's the total opposite of a great ending. With a twist like Sixth Sense or Memento, we find out that there stuff going on with a purpose that we didn't know existed, and a rewatch will reveal we hadn't noticed the real drive behind certain elements. This ending renders the previous 90 minutes ot have been utterly irrelevant.

A rewatch of The Usual Suspects is pointless, because nothing happened. It's just a yarn being spun by a guy who doesn't want to get recognised...  

The entire crux of the movie is super-genius criminal mastermind Keyser Soze killing the only man who could ID him. A complicated scheme (and we don't know if any of it happened in the world of the film anyway, nearly every character was taken from a piece of stuff in the cop's office so we can only assume he made them up). And the finale to his master plan was to... sit with the cops for a few hours and run away before a fax comes through that identifies him? 

He could have left the police station any time he liked (a character says so) but he sticks around to tell a pointless story that only covers his tracks for 30-45 seconds after he leaves the room? And the cops are now VERY familiar with what he looks like? 

It's slick, well acted, nicely directed nonsense, with an ending that makes no sense whatsoever. It's blindingly exciting the first time you go through it. The second time... you should start to wonder, what the fuck? The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making us think this film made any sense whatsoever!