Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Memories of games against Hull

the Killer Big Match hat trick game always comes to mind but for me I often think about the last home game of the 1967/68 season, a nothing to play for match when, as young kids (who lets their young kids go go to football matches on their own these days ?) we rocked up and witnessed, mostly in shock, Eddie Firmani’s team rack up a 5-0 win over Hull. Little did we know it was a taste of things to follow the next season.

Possibly the same season, I remember we made our way down to the Den to watch Millwall v Hull and seeing 3 Hull fans ‘take’ the cold blow lane end about 2.15pm, one of them was on crutches. He stayed there all game as I recall.

and, i’m pretty sure the first time I saw Charlton on Match of the Day around that time was a home game against Hull

Comments

• I went to Hull on the coach in 1970  for an fa cup match played in the snow .we lost 3-0 .I was 13 and it gave me a clue even then that the fa cup wasnt for us.
  • Derek Killer Hales used to love playing against Hull 
  • A 2-2 draw at Boothferry Park. Bank Holiday Monday. Unusually went on the coach and got stuck in traffic. 

My only other memory of any game against Hull was at Luton in the seventies where a Billy Bremner lead Hull were 1-0 up on ninety minutes, and lost 2-1. Some of that would be nice tonight...  
  • @Tavern drove a couple of us up to Boothferry Park in 91. We were 1 0 down with a few minutes to go and left to beat the traffic. Heard a cheer as we were getting into the car and realised we’d equalised. By the time we got going and found the local radio station, the score was 2 2. We’d gone 2 1 up but let in a last gasp equaliser.

I also copped a right hander as I was getting back on the coach in ‘86, after Flanagan has scored a late equaliser in a 1 1 draw.
  • @Tavern drove a couple of us up to Boothferry Park in 91. We were 1 0 down with a few minutes to go and left to beat the traffic. Heard a cheer as we were getting into the car and realised we’d equalised. By the time we got going and found the local radio station, the score was 2 2. We’d gone 2 1 up but let in a last gasp equaliser.

I also copped a right hander as I was getting back on the coach in ‘86, after Flanagan has scored a late equaliser in a 1 1 draw.
    That's the game I was on about. 

That's the game I was on about. 

I was at that one too!

"To beat the traffic", ffs was it a one way street out?
  • I remember the 2-2 some dirty Charlton fan had a piss on the terraces during the game rather than go to the bog 

I remember a game at Selhurst against them and being in the Arthur Waite stand bang in line with a rocket from one of them that went in from about 40-45 yards out 
  • The awful 0-0 at the beginning of the season a few years ago... Absolutely lashed it down with rain resulting in a drab game similar to Huddersfield midweek

Not to mention the 2-1 win when we dominated the game under Luzon, Hull got an undeserved equaliser before Makienok scored at the death
  • The awful 0-0 at the beginning of the season a few years ago... Absolutely lashed it down with rain resulting in a drab game similar to Huddersfield midweek

Not to mention the 2-1 win when we dominated the game under Luzon, Hull got an undeserved equaliser before Makienok scored at the death
    How could I forget the 0 0, my daughter’s first game.

Only went because my mate called me the morning of the game to say he had a couple of spare tickets.

She was bored senseless once the sweets ran out although we managed to last 70 minutes before leaving.
  • Sponsored links:

• Boring 1-1 at The Valley, notable only for Danny Mills getting deliberately sent off so he didn't have to work over Christmas.

He was at The Valley for Talksport on Tuesday. They asked him if he'd got a warm welcome and all he said was "it's the same staff as when I was here as a player, but they're all in the Twilight of their careers."

The wankers' wanker.
  • That game early in Dushitalot’s ownership when Gudmundson got on the end on Makienok’s knockdown to head a late winner. The place went bonkers. We thought we were on to something. Oh well.  
  • That game early in Dushitalot’s ownership when Gudmundson got on the end on Makienok’s knockdown to head a late winner. The place went bonkers. We thought we were on to something. Oh well.  
    That was it... Gudmundsson got the winner, Makienok opened the scoring with a header

I confused myself with thinking Gudmundsson got the winner in the carbon copy game against Wigan but that was Moussa
  • 6-0 away loss .....

Ask @Tavern it was his decision
  • ...was it against Hull at The Valley in the 70‘s when Hunt was given a goal but we all saw his shot miss the goal but rebounded off the wall?
    That was it... Gudmundsson got the winner, Makienok opened the scoring with a header

I confused myself with thinking Gudmundsson got the winner in the carbon copy game against Wigan but that was Moussa
    Was that the game when Moussa tried a 25 yarder that spiralled up off a defender. Took ages to come down in the net and left Carson completely stranded 
  • 1-2 at Selhurst Park. We were a really good side but Billy Whitehurst and Frank Bunn tore us apart. They were just far too powerful.
  • My brother got married on the day we played Hull in November 77, a game we won 2-0 away. His daughter is getting married tomorrow!!  Fingers crossed for the same result.
  • Hales hat-trick and another game that was also on the Big Match (I think), 3-0 up and ended 3-2.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    6-0 away loss .....
    following on from a 5-0 trouncing at Huddersfield .. I was at both games .. NOT a good week or season, we went down, Ull went up .. NEVER again !!
  • Daft things you remember Vol XXIII.....near the end of the game in '86 when Flanagan equalised, a dog ran on the pitch. Everyone was chasing it and it was getting in a panic, John Pearson just stood still, put his hand out and it came over to him. Anyway, he handed the pooch to the stewards/OB and they took him away.

Five minutes later he ran on the pitch again, obviously wanted to see if Hull could hang on to the lead :-)
  • I remember a game when the Hull player punched the ball in to the goal and it was allowed.
  • Danny Mills treating himself to a red card for Christmas

How could I forget the 0 0, my daughter’s first game.

Only went because my mate called me the morning of the game to say he had a couple of spare tickets.

She was bored senseless once the sweets ran out although we managed to last 70 minutes before leaving.
    The nil nil was my eldests first game. Absolutely dire, apart from watching the lightening flash across the thames in the 2nd half. Quite spectacular, and more entertaining than the football on offer
  • Solidgone said:
    ...was it against Hull at The Valley in the 70‘s when Hunt was given a goal but we all saw his shot miss the goal but rebounded off the wall?
    I'm not totally sure but I thought it was against Oldham.
  • Solidgone said:
    ...was it against Hull at The Valley in the 70‘s when Hunt was given a goal but we all saw his shot miss the goal but rebounded off the wall?
    I'm not totally sure but I thought it was against Oldham.
    Oldham sounds about right to me. 

Ask @Tavern it was his decision
    I wanted to get back to the Royal for a beer.
  • Did you make it back in time?