Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memories of games against Hull

2»

Comments

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    ...was it against Hull at The Valley in the 70‘s when Hunt was given a goal but we all saw his shot miss the goal but rebounded off the wall?
    I'm not totally sure but I thought it was against Oldham.
    Oldham sounds about right to me. 
    I think Oldham. Strangest goal I’ve seen. I don’t remember the crowd or the players claiming a goal, and their keeper was getting ready for a goal kick.  Everyone was confused why the ref was pointing to the center circle 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    CAFCTrev said:
    This was a rare high point in a generally very shitty period to be a Charlton fan. I know he never really lived up to our hopes, but I had a soft spot for Makienok. Don't think we ever really played to his strengths.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    The non goal goal was against Oldham. I think what happened was the Charlton player looked a certainty and couldn't  possibly miss and the ref went with that
    He missed and hit the wall behind the goal and it bounced back.
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    Did you make it back in time?
    I did.
    Also got 14 chips.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    ...was it against Hull at The Valley in the 70‘s when Hunt was given a goal but we all saw his shot miss the goal but rebounded off the wall?
    I'm not totally sure but I thought it was against Oldham.
    Oldham sounds about right to me. 
    I think Oldham. Strangest goal I’ve seen. I don’t remember the crowd or the players claiming a goal, and their keeper was getting ready for a goal kick.  Everyone was confused why the ref was pointing to the center circle 
    Sounds as though they were using VAR all those years ago 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I remember Lloyd Sam getting sent off once cos Hull's thug captain wrestled him to the ground and pinned him to the floor.  Hated Hull since.
  • Options
    6-0 away loss .....
    They did a nice light show with the floodlights every time Hull scored. Saw a lot of it that afternoon ...
  • Options
    Too scared to put it on the post match thread :) but I thought Hull played their part in a pretty good game last night. Some slick attacking play and none of the cynical filth we've seen from some this season.
  • Options
    1986 1-1 was the game I got chased and battered outside, nose broken the lot, I parobably deserved it for wearing a different coloured Gazelle on each foot to show Northerners I could afford 2 pairs.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    1986 1-1 was the game I got chased and battered outside, nose broken the lot, I parobably deserved it for wearing a different coloured Gazelle on each foot to show Northerners I could afford 2 pairs.
    I had sympathy for you until I saw the final bit.

I hope the claret did not ruin your trainers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first game at the Valley January 1981 against Hull. My neighbour took me and I ended up going with him to every home game. We were 3rd Division then but like last night were on tv- the Big Match. Dicky Tydeman scored a screamer. 
  • Options
    ............. but for me I often think about the last home game of the 1967/68 season, a nothing to play for match when, as young kids (who lets their young kids go go to football matches on their own these days ?) we rocked up and witnessed, mostly in shock, Eddie Firmani’s team rack up a 5-0 win over Hull. Little did we know it was a taste of things to follow the next season.

I was at that game, our final match of that season, May 1968.

Score was actually 5-1 if I remember right, and as you say, Ray Treacy hat trick - his first for the club since signing from West Brom the previous February, for £20,000. 

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I seem to recall a game at The Valley where Chris Chilton and Ken Wagstaff ran Charlton's defence ragged and we lost 4-1. I think it was around 1969 / 1970. Why do I remember the big defeats so often?
  • Options
    A 2-2 draw at Boothferry Park. Bank Holiday Monday. Unusually went on the coach and got stuck in traffic. 

My only other memory of any game against Hull was at Luton in the seventies where a Billy Bremner lead Hull were 1-0 up on ninety minutes, and lost 2-1. Some of that would be nice tonight...  
    Didn't it kick off a bit just before getting on the coach in 91
  • Options
    @Tavern drove a couple of us up to Boothferry Park in 91. We were 1 0 down with a few minutes to go and left to beat the traffic. Heard a cheer as we were getting into the car and realised we’d equalised. By the time we got going and found the local radio station, the score was 2 2. We’d gone 2 1 up but let in a last gasp equaliser.

I also copped a right hander as I was getting back on the coach in ‘86, after Flanagan has scored a late equaliser in a 1 1 draw.
    "To beat the traffic", ffs was it a one way street out?
    Little legs I always leave a bit earlier if I've driven to the game
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    @Tavern drove a couple of us up to Boothferry Park in 91. We were 1 0 down with a few minutes to go and left to beat the traffic. Heard a cheer as we were getting into the car and realised we’d equalised. By the time we got going and found the local radio station, the score was 2 2. We’d gone 2 1 up but let in a last gasp equaliser.

I also copped a right hander as I was getting back on the coach in ‘86, after Flanagan has scored a late equaliser in a 1 1 draw.
    "To beat the traffic", ffs was it a one way street out?
    Little legs I always leave a bit earlier if I've driven to the game
    I don´t understand people leaving games early.