Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    Bess isn't even the number one spinner at Somerset! Think if that doesn't change he will have to move permanently to another club (was on loan for a month at Yorkshire last year) especially as, apart from at Taunton, they are unlikely to play the two.
  • Options
    Excellent from Bess. He has proved today that he can attack after pricing last match he can play a holding role. Impressive for a young man.

Impressive that we have such a young side and players are continuing to prove that a grounding in county cricket is good enough to enable them to make the step up. It may not be how the likes of Strauss Cook Trott who all got tons on debut and KP Bell Folly who all got 50s on debut. But this side is proving that in time players can adapt and bridge the gap from county cricket to test cricket. 

The likes of Bess, Curran, Sibley, Pope will be in the side for years to come. Plenty of players only a few years older. Think we genuinely have the beginnings of a quality side. Will likely be inconsistent in the short term a free spectacular wins and a few horrendous losses but this side will continue to get better.

On a side note the last 4 players to make their first century for England (Pope, Sibley, Burns, Foakes) serious surrey connection there. 3 from the academy and the other who did a serious amount of development at Surrey.
  • Options
    For the first time in 45 years an English spinner takes the first 5 wickets of an innings: of course it's a Player from KENT.

Deadly Derek Underwood.
    And it’s true. It’s not de Kock.
  • Options
    Excellent from Bess. He has proved today that he can attack after pricing last match he can play a holding role. Impressive for a young man.

Impressive that we have such a young side and players are continuing to prove that a grounding in county cricket is good enough to enable them to make the step up. It may not be how the likes of Strauss Cook Trott who all got tons on debut and KP Bell Folly who all got 50s on debut. But this side is proving that in time players can adapt and bridge the gap from county cricket to test cricket. 

The likes of Bess, Curran, Sibley, Pope will be in the side for years to come. Plenty of players only a few years older. Think we genuinely have the beginnings of a quality side. Will likely be inconsistent in the short term a free spectacular wins and a few horrendous losses but this side will continue to get better.

On a side note the last 4 players to make their first century for England (Pope, Sibley, Burns, Foakes) serious surrey connection there. 3 from the academy and the other who did a serious amount of development at Surrey.
    We're going to need a couple of quick bowlers to break through too. As it stands our batting will be our strength over the next few years but our pace attack could hold us back. It's almost as if someone upstairs has an ironic sense of humour.
  • Options
    All the kids are going to be bowling offies now
  • Options

Boo. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    We must get De Cock out ASAP!  B)
  • Options
    Is there likely to be any more play today? Is there an inspection planned later? (Saves me switching over to Channel 858 every 30 mins) whilst watching QPR v Leeds and Jeff Stelling>?
  • Options

We're going to need a couple of quick bowlers to break through too. As it stands our batting will be our strength over the next few years but our pace attack could hold us back. It's almost as if someone upstairs has an ironic sense of humour.
    To a certain extent yes. And Broad Anderson and Wood aren't likely to play a lot of matches or to play for too much longer. But the likes of Woakes Archer Sam Curran and Stone have plenty of years ahead of them. There is a decent chasing group - Tom Curran Mahmood etc. 

Hopefully they can develop well.
  • Options
    152-5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    154-6

Stokes makes the breakthrough in his 2nd over.
  • Options
    154-6

Stokes makes the breakthrough in his 2nd over.
    He's annoyed that he made a glorious ton and is unlikely to be MOTM!
  • Options
    I still think Denly is a better spinner than Bess. If Stokes could catch he would have had a couple by the close of play.

Think this game will end in a draw. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Not a bad start for us.

SA have gone from last night's 208-6 to 208-9!!!

Edit: 209 all out!!!
  • Options
    3 wickets for Broad and 1 for Curran

England enforce the follow on
  • Options
    Great start! Just arrived back in England. Perfect timing to get home to watch on sofa all day! 
  • Options
    Ironic it’s sunny in England and raining in PE! 
  • Options
    Ironic it’s sunny in England and raining in PE! 
    For added irony, you could watch what Sky are showing instead of the Test match in South African, which is delayed because of rain.  It's the Under-19 tournament match between India and Sri Lanka, being played in beautiful warm sunshine.  In South Africa. 
  • Options
    Back playing, Wood gets the crucial wicket of Elgar

You suspect that the Saffers will need help from the weather to survive
  • Options
    SA 44-3 at tea and 45-7 so far for the day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worst review ever! 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    When you put it like that it does look pretty awful.

Mind you, the Brisbane Heat were 84-0 off 5.4 overs this morning needing to get another 61 runs off 14.2 overs to win with international batsmen such as ABV, Renshaw and Burns to come. They ended up 120 all out off 15 overs so, in effect, 36-10 off 56 balls!!!
  • Options
    5 down now, with 3 wickets for Root - that's a bit embarrassing!
  • Options
    5 down now, with 3 wickets for Root - that's a bit embarrassing!
    Quite and even worse at 102-6 and Root 4-31

Let's hope the rain stays away because SA still need 188 to make us bat again
  • Options
    I think the Man of the Match is going to be a choice between our two best all-rounders.  Root and Wood. 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Mind you, the Brisbane Heat were 84-0 off 5.4 overs this morning needing to get another 61 runs off 14.2 overs to win with international batsmen such as ABV, Renshaw and Burns to come. They ended up 120 all out off 15 overs so, in effect, 36-10 off 56 balls!!!
    Watched that and you can guess my view on it , it was very smelly,  a joke run out , ball being lobbed up but they needed a win so my cynicism is probably misplaced 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Watched that and you can guess my view on it , it was very smelly,  a joke run out , ball being lobbed up but they needed a win so my cynicism is probably misplaced 
    The biggest collapse in the history of the Big Bash. Darren Lehman had already banged their heads together 4 or 5 games before because of their woeful attempts at chasing but Lynn had no choice but to do so today because of the forecast rain. 

It was truly appalling batting but I don't believe it was fixed. I suspect that the Heat,  with only 3 points separating 2nd to 6th, had it in their heads after that start that they could massively improve their net run rate by getting it finished quickly. The other thing is that the Renegades had three spinners in their side plus Dan Christian bowling his slow cutters (10-0-70-8 between them) and only Sam Heazlett really looked comfortable with pace off - 'til he eventually fell to Boyce's spin too.
  • Options
    I know everyone (i.e. just Leuth) has been waiting for this...
    https://www.burtonsblog.com/post/tales-of-the-good-the-bad-and-the-famous
  • Options
    Even better! Thoroughly enjoyed that. My only quibble is that while the Swann/Panesar analogue works pretty well (down to the latter growing up at then-dustbowl Northants together) I'd have Leach as the superior bowler to Bess - who's good - although it has to be said, SA have played him almost unthinkably badly. But then, SA have obvious weaknesses against finger-spin. Last time they were in England, Moeen was Man Of The Series after all...
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Even better! Thoroughly enjoyed that. My only quibble is that while the Swann/Panesar analogue works pretty well (down to the latter growing up at then-dustbowl Northants together) I'd have Leach as the superior bowler to Bess - who's good - although it has to be said, SA have played him almost unthinkably badly. But then, SA have obvious weaknesses against finger-spin. Last time they were in England, Moeen was Man Of The Series after all...
    Excellent points! As a mere wrist-spinner myself, I bow to your superior knowledge of the art of finger-spin. I’d also conveniently forgotten about Moeen’s past success against South Africa.