Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    England seem to find ways to get themselves out. Stokes going along nicely & then chips one to mid-off.

I reckon we'll be at least 8 down by the close tonight.......with only around 260 on the board.
    As I said........

Curran leaves one alone & the ball crashes into his off stump. Broad comically gets his bat stuck in his pad & so cant it down in time to stop him being bowled.

Farcical. 
  • Options
    We really are poor abroad. Something needs to be done. A full root and branch one. Pun intended as his captaincy is dire.
  • Options
    I reckon Pope should throw the bat now......get runs or get out. Might leave SA 3 or 4 overs to face tonight. Better than scratching around for 20 mins.
  • Options
    Genuinely believe this is the worst English test side for a very long time. Individually some very good players. Collectively they are so inept.
  • Options
    Bring back 4 day tests.
  • Options
    Good 50 for Pope. And divine intervention keeps him in
  • Options
    He's going to be an England batsman for years. 
    A rare talent 
  • Options
    that is an impressive one day scorecard, but of course made over about 90 overs .. pathetic
  • Options
    I must apologise to Joe Root for being so critical of him electing to bowl first in the opening Test.

The fact is that we are rubbish whether we bat first or second.
  • Options
    Apparently, we got close to the average first day score there, so maybe it's not as bad as we think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently, we got close to the average first day score there, so maybe it's not as bad as we think.
    Average first day score is 268/8. Average first innings total 320-something (I think). We'll be lucky to add any more to our overnight total. Still very much behind the 8-ball. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Buttler and Bairstow should not be in this side ffs.

Foakes and Pope.

Days like today I want to hear what Bob Willis would have to say. :'(
    Just to be clear, you would have picked, for this, First Test, one player who is not in the squad and one who is ill?
    Here he is. WUM. Last time I engage you.

Clearly for this test their hands were tied with Pope. The point is, it's been obvious since last winter that Foakes should be pur keeper and even more obvious after the summer that he should have been on the tours. 

Bairstow should be nowhere near the side. He was dropped after a shocking couple of years and tole he needed to go and play some red ball cricket in order to get picked again. Hes then recalled to the squad after playing exactly zero red ball cricket. Joke.
    Crikey! That's quite an aggressive response. It just seems very odd to suggest that the failure of the team in their first innings would have been mitigated if only two players who were unavailable had been picked instead.  It seems reasonable that six of the top seven places in the current team go to the six players who have scored the most Test runs for England this year.  The one addition is the newish opener.  

I would have no objection to Pope playing, were he fit.  He's not.  But I am not sure it's wise to drop one of your better players for a wicket keeper who wasn't chosen to tour.  
    WUM is strong with this one.

Did I suggest the failure of the team was down to 2 players? You know full well I didn't say anything of the sort. I simply pointed 2 players who have consistently failed in the side for more than 2 years and said they shouldn't be there. I also suggested the 2 player I want to replace them with going forwards (the same 2 players most people on social media are calling for). 

You then did your annoying little WUM stuff twisting what had been said, ignoring a reasoned response and trying to shout someone down. It's boring and you ruin every cricket thread by picking someone to repeatedly do this to. Get back in your hole. Child
    Why so angry?
    Why so twattish? 

I know of at least 5 posters who no longer contribute to cricket threads because of you constantly acting like this. You get away with it on the politics stuff because everyone acts like a child there but some of us want to just have a chat about cricket without some twat twisting every word that is said and turning it into an argument. 

You've admitted to this in the past and I suspect you get some kind of kick out of it. Its childish you actually know very little about cricket but like to shout everyone else down all the same. You hate it when you get called out on it as shown by all the PM's you sent me last time you tried it on me. Grow up. Get over yourself and stop ruining it for others.

I for one wont let you push me from these threads but I'm just gonna ignore whatever crap you vomit onto the keyboard from now on.
    Canters calling someone childish.... Lol. 
    What do you even mean by that you absolute knob?

You're they guy who cried on the 100 thread because no one agreed with you and you actually couldn't come up with any coherent arguments and had no response to anyones criticisms. You started throwing out insults then claimed to be the victim

You only come on here to shout about 3 things.

B20 are better than CARD
    Charlton should move to the peninsula (ignoring the arguments that it's actually no longer possible)
    And the 100 is better than cricket

You haven't worked out yet that no one actually gives a shit.

Do one.
    Wow, Canters, calm down ffs. 
    All you are doing is show you are a bit of an idiot as well as childish. 
  • Options
    How can the umpire miss those two no balls. Rabada was over the line by 4 or 5 inches on both occasions, not even close. I assume they don't bother looking anymore, cricket VAR.
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:
    How can the umpire miss those two no balls. Rabada was over the line by 4 or 5 inches on both occasions, not even close. I assume they don't bother looking anymore, cricket VAR.
    The umpire immediately signalled for the TV umpire to review the no ball that ended in a "catch".
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:
    been going on for  long time, the logic is that every dismissal is reviewed and if it's a no ball then obviously it's not out. What is a concern is that a quickie can get closer (albeit not by much) to a batsman with a bouncer/short ball, really shake him up and not be penalised. In a game requiring less that split second reactions, that could be dangerous
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:
    been going on for  long time, the logic is that every dismissal is reviewed and if it's a no ball then obviously it's not out. What is a concern is that a quickie can get closer (albeit not by much) to a batsman with a bouncer/short ball, really shake him up and not be penalised. In a game requiring less that split second reactions, that could be dangerous
    There's more to no balls than not being a legal delivery.......the fact that every one means an extra run AND another delivery having to be bowled.. How many more could England have got if all the no-balls have been called & the bowler had to bowl the extra delivery. Might make a difference in a tight game......WC final & the Headingley Test are just 2 recent games that come to mind.
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:
    There's more to no balls than not being a legal delivery.......the fact that every one means an extra run AND another delivery having to be bowled.. How many more could England have got if all the no-balls have been called & the bowler had to bowl the extra delivery. Might make a difference in a tight game......WC final & the Headingley Test are just 2 recent games that come to mind.
    very true
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:
    And from the bowler's point of view, if Rabada had been called out for the previous no ball, he presumably would have adjusted his run up so that the "wicket" taking ball wasn't a no ball!

I don't understand why Umpires can't do this now. If Dickie Bird could spot when Michael Holding or Jeff Thomson overstepped, why can't modern umpires do the same, it's not as if they have anything more to do when the ball is delivered than their predecessors?
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:
    And from the bowler's point of view, if Rabada had been called out for the previous no ball, he presumably would have adjusted his run up so that the "wicket" taking ball wasn't a no ball!

I don't understand why Umpires can't do this now. If Dickie Bird could spot when Michael Holding or Jeff Thomson overstepped, why can't modern umpires do the same, it's not as if they have anything more to do when the ball is delivered than their predecessors?
    I agree with this, but have two comments. First, we have no idea how many no balls Dickie Bird missed. And second, the person most to blame for Rabada bowling no balls isn't the umpire.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Buttler and Bairstow should not be in this side ffs.

Foakes and Pope.

Days like today I want to hear what Bob Willis would have to say. :'(
    Just to be clear, you would have picked, for this, First Test, one player who is not in the squad and one who is ill?
    Here he is. WUM. Last time I engage you.

Clearly for this test their hands were tied with Pope. The point is, it's been obvious since last winter that Foakes should be pur keeper and even more obvious after the summer that he should have been on the tours. 

Bairstow should be nowhere near the side. He was dropped after a shocking couple of years and tole he needed to go and play some red ball cricket in order to get picked again. Hes then recalled to the squad after playing exactly zero red ball cricket. Joke.
    Crikey! That's quite an aggressive response. It just seems very odd to suggest that the failure of the team in their first innings would have been mitigated if only two players who were unavailable had been picked instead.  It seems reasonable that six of the top seven places in the current team go to the six players who have scored the most Test runs for England this year.  The one addition is the newish opener.  

I would have no objection to Pope playing, were he fit.  He's not.  But I am not sure it's wise to drop one of your better players for a wicket keeper who wasn't chosen to tour.  
    WUM is strong with this one.

Did I suggest the failure of the team was down to 2 players? You know full well I didn't say anything of the sort. I simply pointed 2 players who have consistently failed in the side for more than 2 years and said they shouldn't be there. I also suggested the 2 player I want to replace them with going forwards (the same 2 players most people on social media are calling for). 

You then did your annoying little WUM stuff twisting what had been said, ignoring a reasoned response and trying to shout someone down. It's boring and you ruin every cricket thread by picking someone to repeatedly do this to. Get back in your hole. Child
    Why so angry?
    Why so twattish? 

I know of at least 5 posters who no longer contribute to cricket threads because of you constantly acting like this. You get away with it on the politics stuff because everyone acts like a child there but some of us want to just have a chat about cricket without some twat twisting every word that is said and turning it into an argument. 

You've admitted to this in the past and I suspect you get some kind of kick out of it. Its childish you actually know very little about cricket but like to shout everyone else down all the same. You hate it when you get called out on it as shown by all the PM's you sent me last time you tried it on me. Grow up. Get over yourself and stop ruining it for others.

I for one wont let you push me from these threads but I'm just gonna ignore whatever crap you vomit onto the keyboard from now on.
    Canters calling someone childish.... Lol. 
    What do you even mean by that you absolute knob?

You're they guy who cried on the 100 thread because no one agreed with you and you actually couldn't come up with any coherent arguments and had no response to anyones criticisms. You started throwing out insults then claimed to be the victim

You only come on here to shout about 3 things.

B20 are better than CARD
    Charlton should move to the peninsula (ignoring the arguments that it's actually no longer possible)
    And the 100 is better than cricket

You haven't worked out yet that no one actually gives a shit.

Do one.
    Wow, Canters, calm down ffs. 
    All you are doing is show you are a bit of an idiot as well as childish. 
    You calm down. You're the one whose been making snide remarks and calling me names on random threads on and off for the past couple of months. You've dont it without @ing me so I've had to stumble across them because you are a coward and a twat. I've chosen to ignore most of them because you're clueless and a twat but this was one too many. 

As for calling me an idiot I doubt you've got enough brain cells to play catch with. As I said before do one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    In both 2013 and 2014 a young Australian was playing cricket for Sandwich in the Kent Cricket League. 

The Aussie in question is, of course, Marnus Labushagne who us currently on 163* against NZ. That makes it 1,140 runs at an average of 88 since he made history in taking over from Smith when the latter suffered concussion against England. Steve Smith also played for Sevenoaks Vine in 2007 in the KPL too.

In recent seasons Joe Denly has been publicly critical of the standard of the KPL claiming that no decent players were being produced. All I can say is that playing in the KPL didn't do those two too much harm and must have helped them in adjusting to different conditions. 

Edit - Labishagne was out eventually for 215 making his scores since the Ashes 185 & 162 (against Pakistan) and 143, 50, 63, 19 & 215 (against NZ).  He was run out in the one and only innings he failed to make a 50.
  • Options
    269 all out

SA off to a flyer with 17-0 off 2 overs!
  • Options
    Broad gets the debutante Malan caught well by Root in the slips

26-1
  • Options
    Another to Broad. Great catch by Stokes to get Hamza

38-2
  • Options
    Broad gets the debutante Malan  caught well by Root in the slips

26-1
    Didn’t realise we’d transferred him !
    Pieter is one of three brothers who are all pro cricketers. But not related to Dawid even though he was brought up in South Africa too.
  • Options
    FAF gone - another catch to Stokes off Jimmy's bowling

40-3
  • Options

No idea how to rotate. 
    Hold the phone the other way? ;)