Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    Great for Joe, though I imagine he's rather have had a maiden 100 by now!
  • Options
    It is what's in the book that counts but Elgar didn't nick it - the "spike", if you can call it that, coincides with Elgar's elbow hitting his pad as he plays the ball.

Had Elgar been given "not out" by the Umpire then he would still be at the crease for the same reason he isn't batting now - the 3rd Umpire has to be given proof that the standing Umpire has made a clear and obvious error The "murmur" would be justification to stand by the decision.

Still - excellent news that Denly is our most successful bowler in this innings if you are a Kent supporter but not so if you are an England fan because we don't look like taking a wicket! 
  • Options
    4 day Tests are a great idea aren’t they........
  • Options
    Stating the obvious I know. 
    But the 2nd new ball tomorrow will decide the outcome of this test.
  • Options
    a word about the commentary team on Talksport .. far superior to the worn out and knackered bunch we are saddled with on Test Match Special ..  Mark Butcher has developed into a top class ball by ball caller alongside the experienced SAfrican Neil Manthorp with very good and perceptive analysis from Steve Harmison, Darren Gough, Mark Nicholas and the occasional insight from (yes love or hate him) Kevin Pietersen.
    Such a relief from the self obsessed arrogance of 'Aggers' and the stupid schoolboy gigglings of 'Tuffers' and the new commentator whose name I can't recall, not the female, the other one ((:>)

• Options

4 day tests will completely alter the test cricket dynamic, much for the worst
  • Options
    Mark Nicholas is a complete know-it-all, smart-arse, insufferable, nauseous bellend.
    other than that, I reckon you like him ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mark Nicholas is a complete know-it-all, smart-arse, insufferable, nauseous bellend.
    He's my cousin......
    And a fine upstanding man he is.
    🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    He's my cousin......
    Don't see a disagreement there...! :sweat_smile: 
  • Options
    It is what's in the book that counts but Elgar didn't nick it - the "spike", if you can call it that, coincides with Elgar's elbow hitting his pad as he plays the ball.

Had Elgar been given "not out" by the Umpire then he would still be at the crease for the same reason he isn't batting now - the 3rd Umpire has to be given proof that the standing Umpire has made a clear and obvious error The "murmur" would be justification to stand by the decision.

Still - excellent news that Denly is our most successful bowler in this innings if you are a Kent supporter but not so if you are an England fan because we don't look like taking a wicket! 
    I disagree with you.  He nicked it, very, very faintly.  The spike coincides with the two split-screen images, both of which show no gap between the bat and the ball. 

Now, if there's a spike, the front-on camera can't discern a gap, the square-on camera can't detect a gap and the spike is perfectly synchronised with the image, in my view, that's out.  It doesn't matter how "high" the spike is (despite the claims of the idiot South African commentator's claims that it should).  

In all likelihood, the skin of the batsman's elbow brushing against the soft covering of the pad would not create a "spike", but a longer "murmur".  If it were picked up, it would look different.  

The umpire gave it out.  I believe that Elgar doesn't think he hit it; and, as such, he was perfectly within his rights to review the decision.  The TV umpire had not reason at all to overturn the umpire's decision.  

(I also disagree that, had the umpire given it not out and Root reviewed that decision, that the TV umpire would not have overturned it.  I think it was out, whatever the decision on field).  

DRS is a million times better in cricket than VAR in football (as anyone with any sense was saying prior to VAR's introduction.  I think this incident proves that it works. 

As an aside, I think Root deserves congratulations for bowling Denly at Elgar. Not many people would have known, but Dean Elgar has faced nearly 8,000 balls in Test cricket, but prior to today had only faced 106 balls from legspinners in his 104 Test innings.  I think Root pulled off a brilliant trick with that dismissal. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I disagree with you.  He nicked it, very, very faintly.  The spike coincides with the two split-screen images, both of which show no gap between the bat and the ball. 

Now, if there's a spike, the front-on camera can't discern a gap, the square-on camera can't detect a gap and the spike is perfectly synchronised with the image, in my view, that's out.  It doesn't matter how "high" the spike is (despite the claims of the idiot South African commentator's claims that it should).  

In all likelihood, the skin of the batsman's elbow brushing against the soft covering of the pad would not create a "spike", but a longer "murmur".  If it were picked up, it would look different.  

The umpire gave it out.  I believe that Elgar doesn't think he hit it; and, as such, he was perfectly within his rights to review the decision.  The TV umpire had not reason at all to overturn the umpire's decision.  

(I also disagree that, had the umpire given it not out and Root reviewed that decision, that the TV umpire would not have overturned it.  I think it was out, whatever the decision on field).  

DRS is a million times better in cricket than VAR in football (as anyone with any sense was saying prior to VAR's introduction.  I think this incident proves that it works. 

As an aside, I think Root deserves congratulations for bowling Denly at Elgar. Not many people would have known, but Dean Elgar has faced nearly 8,000 balls in Test cricket, but prior to today had only faced 106 balls from legspinners in his 104 Test innings.  I think Root pulled off a brilliant trick with that dismissal. 

There have been a number of occasions when a so called "spike" of this nature has been recorded and an Umpire's "not out" decision has not been overturned simply because the noise can be anything including a boot stud on the ground. And invariably in these instances there is no "hot spot" either. There were also equally less than significant "spikes" after the ball had passed the bat and there is nothing identifiable to explain those either.

We have a tolerance when a ball strikes the stumps for an LBW and when a ball pitches outside leg stump because the technology is deemed not accurate enough to be definitive. This isn't definitive either and therefore, at the very least, we should stick with the on field Umpire's decision. Which was "out" in this instance.
  • Options

4 day tests will completely alter the test cricket dynamic, much for the worst
    Currently you cant get 90 over bowled in a day, even with the extra 30 mins, so god knows how you'll get 98. Start at 10 am..?
  • Options
    As I was saying...

Mark Nicholas. Wanker.

:-)
  • Options
    As I was saying...

Mark Nicholas. Wanker.

:-)
    I wonder what he would think if he met you
  • Options
    Don’t tell me he’s your brother...
  • Options
    edited January 2020

you don't like his style of commentary or the way he comes across, that's fair enough, but to call a commentator a wanker is extremely childish and crude. To call someone that, where I come from is called a 'punch on the nose' comment .. should he ever meet you (very unlikely) and should he be aware of your comments, beware of being smacked on the hooter
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m sure he’ll be deeply offended by a throwaway comment on a Charlton forum while he spends 10 months a year in Summer commentating on cricket. 

Clearly I don’t know the bloke, clearly he might be a decent fella, clearly I’m not being entirely serious. But you knew all of that, clearly.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I've always thought Denly has been slightly underbowled in Test cricket, seeing that his bowling was part of the reason he was called up in the first place
  • Options

you don't like his style of commentary or the way he comes across, that's fair enough, but to call a commentator a wanker is extremely childish and crude. To call someone that, where I come from is called a 'punch on the nose' comment .. should he ever meet you (very unlikely) and should he be aware of your comments, beware of being smacked on the hooter
    Hold on hold on I’m a wanker , doesn’t make me a bad guy .
    let him who is without wank cast the first bone 
  • Options

He aint heavy
  • Options
    As this has turned into the" is mark Nicholas a wanker or not thread" ..I'd just like to say I have met him albeit briefly and he's alright ish but not wanker proportions ..for an average county cricketer he has made a damn good career out of broadcasting/journalism .He does come across as a bit smug/pompous though.

Just like to add I think KP has been a delight on sky..
  • Options
    Not a fan of the Talksport commentary, I found it a bit dry and serious to be honest, but do like Mark Nicholas!
  • Options
    I knew someone who went to school with Mark Nicholas. 'Nice bloke, but loved himself a bit too much'.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    As this has turned into the" is mark Nicholas a wanker or not thread" ..I'd just like to say I have met him albeit briefly and he's alright ish but not wanker proportions ..for an average county cricketer he has made a damn good career out of broadcasting/journalism .He does come across as a bit smug/pompous though.

Nicholas may have been an "average county cricketer" but he had enough about him to captain Hampshire for about ten years until he retired and led them to a few trophies.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Which one of you rubbished Sibley after one innings and said we needed to look elsewhere? Bet you're feeling stupid now 
    I certainly questioned his technique and long may his form continue. I was also someone who thought he should have been given a chance in front of some of the more "favoured" ones though.

Sibley might just be a Graeme Smith who played everything through leg too. Sincerely hope he is but it will be interesting to see how he copes against a Starc bowling across him and a top spinner such as Lyon (just had match figures against NZ of 63.5-19-134-10) on a bunsen burner. It he has a weakness they will find it.

The biggest thing that Sibley does have going for him is his level of concentration and he proved that from the very start of his professional career when he scored that double hundred against Yorkshire for Surrey at the age of 18. That will take him a long way and is something that someone like Joe Denly could learn from specifically in relation to shot selection when you think you're "in".
    There's a bloke called, now what's his name, oh yes Steve Smith.
    He heavily favours the on side and hasn't done too badly.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Nicholas may have been an "average county cricketer" but he had enough about him to captain Hampshire for about ten years until he retired and led them to a few trophies.
    Yes I know