Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

WSS's interview for The Apprentice

Like Chris Powell v Spain, i'm looking upon this as not just an opportunity for West Side, but also knowing that he may be representing Charlton Life at the highest echelon of television power.

As such, we ALL have a part to play.

What sort of style should he adopt to get through the interview process ? Blabbering baboon ? Incompetent toff ?
What sayings should he be using to help him stand out from the rest ?

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. Which is why i made the bold move of moving from Bexley to Dartford.........

WEST SIDE NEEDS YOU !

Comments

• Options
    Barra Boy done good!

Tip: Tell Sir Al that "closing deals is a bit like making love to a beautiful woman" and it'll be in the bag!!
  • Options
    Don't say "I know this guy Ben Hayes and his mum knew you when you were a snotty nosed kid growing up in East London with no arse in your pants. You ain't done bad for yourself, Alan, me old China"
  • Options
    WSS: "Sir Alan, I can open up the female market for your company. You now that film "What Women Want" it is a true story based on me.
  • Options
    This may help actually. I've been told that on Saturday i will be asked "why i should be the next apprentice" and "what makes you different from the rest of the candidates?"

As well as them ripping my CV to shreds, i'm quite looking forward to it. In all honesty though, i don't think i'm "crazy" enough but who knows? Managed to blag the first stage!
  • Options
    "Sralan, you don't know how much i want this. I'll do anything to prove to you i can nail this, i'll push myself as far as i can physically go. BTW, exactly how old is your daughter ?"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]"what makes you different from the rest of the candidates?"
    I'm a Charlton fan

What ever you do do, dont mention singing the "Walking round Tottenham..." song
  • Options
    out of interest - what sort of job does the winner get to do ?...if we're going to come up with a strategy to impress and push the right buttons it'll help to know what they are in the first place...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]out of interest - what sort of job does the winner get to do ?...if we're going to come up with a strategy to impress and push the right buttons it'll help to know what they are in the first place...
    They get to head up one of Alan's current businesses or start up a new venture (the winner this year is running a new property development company).

The main things you need to show (from watching past series') are a good selling technique, nice presentation skills, negotiating skills and leadership skills.

basically if you can turn £1 into £100 for him without pissing everyone off you should stand a good chance! Only 12 get to be on tv so i'm not holding out much hope and i am likely to be one of the youngest people there with the elast experience!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]and i am likely to be one of the youngest people there with the elast experience!

right, so you can tell him you're ambitious for starters...
  • Options
    How many are being interviewed at this stage? Good luck anyway!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well WSS if lots of women get through with your reputation you have every chance of winning!:-)
  • Options
    Good luck mate -

one word of advice be yourself and try not to be something you think he wants. It isn't all about selling. Common sense will always prevail with someone like Sugar.

Best of luck anyway knock 'em dead
  • Options
    tell him you've built up a wide network of contacts, that you dont let the grass grow under your feet on a problem but that you're the sort of person that picks other peoples brains and listens to what they have to say and use it if its worthwhile...
  • Options
    Seriously, WSS If you are one of the youngest and least experienced then play that up. That's your USP.

Young and inexperienced means not got fixed views, more willing to listen and learn and not back chat the boss. Have my own mind and ideas but coming into be an "apprentice" and learn, DON'T say blank sheet of paper but can be molded to be what they want.

There have to be some personal qualities that you have other than being a shag monster ; - ) Don't just say hardworking and honest as who is going to say "I'm lazy and dishonest". Best to focus on one capability such as customer focused, strategic or ruthless and then go into detail, with examples as to why that is you.

And you must do some research on Sugar's companies, history especially problems overcome. Don't mention him fixing the Sky TV deal with Murdoch (allegedly)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]How many are being interviewed at this stage? Good luck anyway!
    Not sure. I've been given a specific time so it doesnt seem like one of those turn up and wait in line for 7 hours! We'll see and i'll report back, thanks for all of your "advice" guys!
  • Options
    last series they said they had 10,000 people but I guess WSS is passed the first filter.
  • Options
    what's your employment background wss ?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]last series they said they had 10,000 people but I guess WSS is passed the first filter.
    Indeed, i've done an online application form as well as sending them my CV, got this stage then another stage (hopefully) where you get to spend a whole day doing tasks etc, then filming in September (ha ha).
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]what's your employment background wss ?
    Predominantly within marketing but that sounds false and too "junior" as the team i worked/with was small we were in charge of everything from budgeting, negotiating contracts and dealing with all stakeholders. Mainly B2B but still quite a lot of B2C in terms of selling a service.
  • Options
    How long is the interview? If there are still a fair few involved, I'd imagine it's pretty short, so being as focussed as possible on getting across your own points and USPs (as per Henry's suggestions) will be the key thing.

Now the girlie question - what are you going to wear??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]How long is the interview? If there are still a fair few involved, I'd imagine it's pretty short, so being as focussed as possible on getting across your own points and USPs (as per Henry's suggestions) will be the key thing.

They said probably only about 15 - 30mins so yeah, you're exactly right. Got to go down the smart route i think - havent decided between blue, black, grey or brown suit yet!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    this stage hasn't got anything to do with Sugar, it will be the production team.

Be confident, but down to earth at the same time. Be genuine on why you want to apply, and why you think you would be good for both the programme, and the job. Important to appeal to both these factors as the production team is interested in the TV, not long-term.

If you can make them laugh it will be a real bonus as it will make you more memorable. With the production fellas come across as friendly, and stick a twinkle in your eye with the production ladies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]How long is the interview? If there are still a fair few involved, I'd imagine it's pretty short, so being as focussed as possible on getting across your own points and USPs (as per Henry's suggestions) will be the key thing.

They said probably only about 15 - 30mins so yeah, you're exactly right. Got to go down the smart route i think - havent decided between blue, black, grey or brown suit yet!

It's always really corporate isn't it? If you could add something a touch more memorable/ stylish that might help...but only if it's naturally you. Never convinced by brown suits myself...

Do you want us to come up with some practice questions for you? Such as, "How would you have reacted to being in a team with someone like Katie?"
  • Options
    Do you want us to come up with some practice questions for you?

Could you, would you, deal with simon jordan?
  • Options
    "How would you have reacted to being in a team with someone like Katie?"

Knowing Casanova's attitude, i don't think you want to know the answer to that Weegs !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]"How would you have reacted to being in a team with someone like Katie?"

Knowing Casanova's attitude, i don't think you want to know the answer to that Weegs !!

LOL! "How do you get a woman round to your way of thinking?"

WSS "Errrrmm.... Get her drunk?" ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite] "How would you have reacted to being in a team with someone like Katie?"

I think he was practicing on Thursday ;-)
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    dress to intimidate...plain, dark blue suit made to measure is always top of the pile...other colours look good in context but always come up second best side by side with a good plain dark blue...avoid off the peg suits like the plague, they never fit, full stop, whatever the wearer may think...everybody who wears one always has a gap at the back of their collar for starters...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Could you, would you, deal with simon jordan?
    Sometimes in business you have to deal with over tanned tossers but i'm professional enough to see past that. I have also in the past sold many products and services that are crap so i should have no problem in selling and/or promoting Crystal Palace
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]"How would you have reacted to being in a team with someone like Katie?"

I was only trying to help...but take your point, AFKA!
  • Options
    Practice question:

What is a SMART objective?