Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton family lose father, son and daughter in swimming pool incident in Spain

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Sadly it seems Iberian police don't do cover-ups, they just do incompetent investigations when foreigners are involved. They have absolved the hotel filtration system before any post-mortem results.
  • Options
    R.I.P. Truly tragic.

I just cannot believe three people drowned simultaneously in a family swimming pool, there must be an external reason. 

The dad was a strapping fellow and the pool is only six and a half feet at deepest.  Hope there isn't a cover up going on here.
    It does seem unbelievable - I really hope the family get answers.
  • Options
    R.I.P. Truly tragic.

I just cannot believe three people drowned simultaneously in a family swimming pool, there must be an external reason. 

The dad was a strapping fellow and the pool is only six and a half feet at deepest.  Hope there isn't a cover up going on here.
    The girl was possibly in difficulty at the bottom of the pool and her dad and brother spent too long under trying to save her?

I'm sure there were issues years ago with outlet and inlet grates in some pools and there were measures brought in to make them safe, after a similar tragedy. Maybe this was in the UK only?
  • Options
    tragic story RIP, must be more to this though and I’m sure more info will emerge 
  • Options
    Sure I heard the pool has already been re-opened to guests, and this was a couple of days ago
  • Options
    As reported, the police say there’s nothing wrong with the pool. What about getting some pool engineers in?
  • Options
    R.I.P. Truly tragic.

The girl was possibly in difficulty at the bottom of the pool and her dad and brother spent too long under trying to save her?

I'm sure there were issues years ago with outlet and inlet grates in some pools and there were measures brought in to make them safe, after a similar tragedy. Maybe this was in the UK only?
    I suppose it’s possible that the father and son grabbed each other in blind panic and inadvertently pulled each other under........that does happen.
    The strange thing is that the mother is saying they ‘could’ all swim and that she and her elder daughter were present at poolside as they all drowned......bizarre is the only word that comes to mind. Confusion reigns.
    Surely there were life rings available, I simply cannot believe there weren’t any.
  • Options
    It’s quite possible of course but were they the only holidaymakers using the pool or the sun loungers at the time ? 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    R.I.P. Truly tragic.

I managed a pool and leisure centre for 3 years so know a bit about how they work. What POSSIBLY could have happened is the pool had been overfilled so some water was being drained out or the chemical composition?? of the water was too high and some was being drained off and refilled. If these were the case there is nothing wrong with the pool but these things should be done when the pool is closed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    R.I.P. Truly tragic.

I managed a pool and leisure centre for 3 years so know a bit about how they work. What POSSIBLY could have happened is the pool had been overfilled so some water was being drained out or the chemical composition?? of the water was too high and some was being drained off and refilled. If these were the case there is nothing wrong with the pool but these things should be done when the pool is closed.
    Let’s hope the authorities will replicate that scenario and see what effect it has?
  • Options
    R.I.P. Truly tragic.

Let’s hope the authorities will replicate that scenario and see what effect it has?
    I dont think the authorities care. Police have said it was an accident so case closed.
  • Options
    Latest

Costa del Sol: Mother wants more tests on pool after Christmas Eve deaths https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50938171
  • Options
    Police stating that none of the three could swim is a big red flag for me. Also very few pools in Spain, or anywhere are more than five feet deep.
  • Options
    It’s quite possible of course but were they the only holidaymakers using the pool or the sun loungers at the time ? 
    Quite possible as there are lots of pools at that hotel.
  • Options
    Police stating that none of the three could swim is a big red flag for me. Also very few pools in Spain, or anywhere are more than five feet deep.
    Not something you can prove or disprove after death though is it. It's a bit like the men who died down at Camber Sanders a couple of years ago. There were doubts then if they could swim or not - relatives said that they could & as they were grieving that was that. Same here I expect. I agree with other posters that it is mighty strange that a 16 yo & an adult can both drown in 6ft of still water. No waves or surf. Just a usual pool you see in hundreds of resorts on Spain. Unless there was something going on with the pool drainage/pumping system. 
  • Options
    Not something you can prove or disprove after death though is it. It's a bit like the men who died down at Camber Sanders a couple of years ago. There were doubts then if they could swim or not - relatives said that they could & as they were grieving that was that. Same here I expect. I agree with other posters that it is mighty strange that a 16 yo & an adult can both drown in 6ft of still water. No waves or surf. Just a usual pool you see in hundreds of resorts on Spain. Unless there was something going on with the pool drainage/pumping system. 
    6ft of water is easy to drown in if you're only 5'11" or less.
    I wonder if chlorine gas is involved.
  • Options
    I would think that the post mortem results will establish the facts regarding chemical concentrations if that is indeed a factor. My guess is that this will remain a mystery.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I cannot begin to imagine how the remaining family members feel.
    An absolute tragedy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The elder daughter did say none of them could swim, the mother later said different. Don’t know why they would say differently.
  • Options
    The elder daughter did say none of them could swim, the mother later said different. Don’t know why they would say differently.
    This is very strange.
  • Options
    It’s a terrible tragedy and the family are casting about for a reason it happened.
    Understandable and very human. Even if a misguided desperate grasp for understanding of something we’ll never know.
  • Options
    R.I.P. Truly tragic.

You also have to assume that they were the only ones by the pool. If anyone who could swim competently had been there they must have been able to make a difference.
  • Options
    6ft of water is easy to drown in if you're only 5'11" or less.
    I wonder if chlorine gas is involved.
    Panic is normally the cause for drowning even for swimmers. 
    An absolute tragedy and my heart goes out to the family. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The police said the oldest daughter told them none could swim. The family have denied this.
  • Options
    The police are now saying today that the case can be closed. 
  • Options
    The police said the oldest daughter told them none could swim. The family have denied this.
    If true, something does not add up.