Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fires in Australia

Comments

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    The excellent DEC collection of UK charities are usually quickest to respond, but nothing on Fire assistance on their website...in fact no evidence of emergency aid going to any economically more developed countries.
    https://www.dec.org.uk/how-we-work

You can suggest new appeals on the DEC website.
  • Options
    The only solutions are global, and I can't see governments around the world, almost all of whom probably feel strapped for cash, doing enough. In democratic countries the main aim of any government is to get re-elected, and the sort of investment needed to genuinely reduce global warming is so huge that I can't see it happening. Not until we've passed the tipping point, perhaps. It's all very depressing.
  • Options
    Thanks @Ormiston_Addick and good luck to you all out there. Heard back from my buddy in Sydney, he lives in a fairly nice coastal suburb, I think so the worst he personally has to put up with is the smog. However he mentioned my ex from back in the day who is coincidently also from Portsmouth, lives on the south NSW coast and had to be evacuated, while her husband has stayed to defend the house. I wrote back that she married a better man than me, I cannot really comprehend how you 'defend your house" against that. From what little I have seen, it seems to involve getting your hose out and constantly watering the house itself and all the surrounding area. But....
  • Options
    Hi

I'm a subscriber to a youtube channel called 'yvettes vibes', she is an 
    Australian living in London and thought her latest video is worth a watch...

https://youtu.be/Y6wLV_E5Fng

• Options
    Hi

I wonder why you subscribe to her videos!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Hi

She’s very fit, but she is also very smart. Well worth watching. She says that Morrison actually cut back funding of firefighters!  Is that a disputed fact, Oz Lifers?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Hi

She’s very fit, but she is also very smart. Well worth watching. She says that Morrison actually cut back funding of firefighters!  Is that a disputed fact, Oz Lifers?
    It’s more horse shit I am afraid.

Firefighters are funded by State Government and not the Federal Government.

Of the two states impacted one is Labor (sic) and the other Coalition controlled.

Like I said there is a lot of pretty shameful political point scoring going on.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Melbourne yesterday ... 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

If that photo is supposed to represent the current fires in Australia then it’s complete bullshit.

The current fires are in NSW and VIC, there are no significant fires in QLD, WA or TAS and definitely not the NT.

Moreover, it’d be pretty hard for there to be bush fires in the middle of the country since it’s a fucking desert with no vegetation.

Things are bad enough without this sort of alarmist nonsense.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10679168/australia-fires-satellite-nasa-from-space/
  • Options
    shine166 said:

If that photo is supposed to represent the current fires in Australia then it’s complete bullshit.

The current fires are in NSW and VIC, there are no significant fires in QLD, WA or TAS and definitely not the NT.

Moreover, it’d be pretty hard for there to be bush fires in the middle of the country since it’s a fucking desert with no vegetation.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10679168/australia-fires-satellite-nasa-from-space/
    Yeah, it’s composite image from the last month - although I would imagine it’s actually longer than that.

As the second image shows there are no bush fires north of Brisbane and none at all in WA either.

Firefighters from around the country have been sent into NSW and VIC to fight the fires there - no way they’d be able to do that if there own states were ablaze in the manner the picture suggests.

The picture is highly misleading because you wouldn’t get bush fires on that scale  in North QLD at this time of year, it’s the middle of the wet season and they are getting plenty of rain up there.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Hi

Of the two states impacted one is Labor (sic) and the other Coalition controlled.

Fair enough. To be fair to her she was careful to say that she has no time for the other main party and its leader either. 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Hi

Ah well, at least she’s still fit though. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Hi

Fair enough. To be fair to her she was careful to say that she has no time for the other main party and its leader either. 

That's the interesting part from an electoral point of view.

The opposition Labor (sic) Party is also heavily wedged on climate change between its traditional blue-collar base - many of whom work in the coal and resources sector - and it's inner-city educated metropolitan supporters that are pro-environment.

Coal, for good or bad, is a massive employer in Australia both directly and indirectly and if you get rid of coal - which you need to do in order to cut emissions globally - then you are going to be losing a LOT of jobs in Australia.

Worse than that, jobs in the resources sector are VERY well paid and miners earn well above AUD$150,000 - often much more - so you can't replace them with some bullshit tourism job paying $50,000 per year to take fat Americans out to the Reef or whatever.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Hi

The opposition Labor (sic) Party is also heavily wedged on climate change between its traditional blue-collar base - many of whom work in the coal and resources sector - and it's inner-city educated metropolitan supporters that are pro-environment.

Coal, for good or bad, is a massive employer in Australia both directly and indirectly and if you get rid of coal - which you need to do in order to cut emissions globally - then you are going to be losing a LOT of jobs in Australia.

Worse than that, jobs in the resources sector are VERY well paid and miners earn well above AUD$150,000 - often much more - so you can't replace them with some bullshit tourism job paying $50,000 per year to take fat Americans out to the Reef or whatever.
    If they had to ditch the coal industry they could perhaps grow the green technology industry? I imagine solar and wind energy industries might grow exponentially?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    Hi

If they had to ditch the coal industry they could perhaps grow the green technology industry? I imagine solar and wind energy industries might grow exponentially?
    Most of the coal is exported, especially to China, I'm not sure solar and wind energy can be exported in the same way, especially as China are already very heavily invested in those industries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plus I doubt green technology is as manually intensive as coal? 
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    A disaster is putting it mildly. We had the hottest December on record in WA. (Western Australia). January isn’t any better. It’s not usually this hot. And there isn’t any cooler weather predicted for months. 

We have had massive finance cuts to the rural fire services that have come back to bite hard.

Back burning, which is necessary to alleviate bush fires, ( even the indigenous land owners knew of its importance before us immigrants turned up) haven’t been carried out, due to the cuts, and the ‘greens’ said it wasn’t needed. Stupid stupid people. 

To top it off the prime minister, who is a complete fuckwit, excuse my language, has said that the economy is more important right now. He also piss farted around and went on holiday to his ‘mate’ Murdoch, whilst lives, homes and the animal kingdom burnt. It’s been sickening to see. 

He’s shown as much leadership as a fecking finger puppet. I detest the man. 

He also sold off huge water reserves to foreign private companies for mining, whilst Australia is suffering from a horrendous drought. This has also been a factor. 

The country is burning, millions upon millions of acres. 

The ice caps and mountains  of New Zealand are  coloured brown with the smoke from the fires. 

Australians are calling for help from the international communities, as ‘our’ government is inept. 

Millions of dollars have been raised by the Australian public to help the fire fighters, and other environmental groups that help with the wildlife that’s being wiped out.  

I’ve had friends who have had to evacuate their homes, it’s frightening to see them so upset.

As a trained firefighter through my employment I’m joining up to the volunteer fire service when I’m back from my swing offshore. They need as many hands as possible.  

Lastly, we’ve had arsonists lighting some of these fires, one who was in the volunteer fire service. Utter scum. 

The situation truly heartbreaking. 

I hope if you have any friends of family living here they are safe and sound. That goes to all the Aussie Addicks over here. 
    All the best mate.
    Is it true or fake news that something like 200 people have been arrested for arson?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Yeah, it’s composite image from the last month - although I would imagine it’s actually longer than that.

As the second image shows there are no bush fires north of Brisbane and none at all in WA either.

Firefighters from around the country have been sent into NSW and VIC to fight the fires there - no way they’d be able to do that if there own states were ablaze in the manner the picture suggests.

The picture is highly misleading because you wouldn’t get bush fires on that scale  in North QLD at this time of year, it’s the middle of the wet season and they are getting plenty of rain up there.
    The tweet thread below details how this image has been misrepresented. Cites the creator of the image, who was credited by the Sun - but the Sun of course misrepresented what it was. To no one's eventual surprise I am sure...

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    Hi

This is basically down to domestic politics.

The Federal Parliament has 150 seats and it is currently held by the Coalition with 77 seats - a very narrow majority.

What keeps them in power? Well, they basically hold power thanks to holding onto about four coal mining seats in central and northern QLD by campaigning to keep coal going as a major export.

That is basically what it comes down to when all is said and done.

Just before these fires the Labor Party was talking about REVERSING its previous pro-environment agenda and Re-embracing coal etc in order to win back those QLD seats.....that looks less likely now though.

The resources sector has generated HUGE wealth for Australia, we are now significantly richer than the UK with GDP per capital of US$56,000PA compared to just US$42,000 in the UK.

The catch? The thing that has made us so rich is also helping to turn parts of our country into a blazing inferno.

Bit of a tricky one that, as a certain Aussie cricket commentator may once have said.

• Options
    His cap went for in excess of $A1 million when the auction closed. It was bought by the Commonwealth Bank and will go on display at the Bradman Museum in Bowral, NSW.

there are more favourable conditions for fighting the fires in NSW today thankfully with lessening winds and showers forecast.
  • Options
    "Palpable nonsense to suggest that the Australian fires were nothing to do with the world becoming warmer".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-51123638