Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spurs v Chelsea alleged racism

2»

Comments

• At least one other Spurs fan sitting nearby said he heard the chants. According to a number of reports the supporter has not been spoken to by the club or police.
    Be interested to know more on this. Surely it should be perused if true? It would utterly shame the police and club and that would deserve to be national news.

This from Ollie Holt

Very simple question: why didn't Spurs or the Met Police speak to the one Spurs fan who had the guts to say he heard the monkey chants? They didn't speak to him. No one called him. Even though he reported what he had heard to the club.
  • Chizz said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Had a feeling who the OP would be when I opened this.
    Lovely....

Does it not warrant discussion then, considering the original story made national news for several days? 

Or or do we just accept another slur on football/football fans, because to not do so goes against your narrative?

Bring it down to an individual level, if someone in the street accused you of racist abuse, as they misheard or made up a claim, would you be happy to end up on the news for a few days and then when it’s confirmed there is no evidence, hardly anyone wants to hear it or discuss it? Would you be aggrieved, being known by many as ‘that racist man’?

Considering it’s one of the worst things someone can be accused of, I’d expect you’d be a bit miffed?
    But you're still taking this as evidence it didn't happen rather than no evidence could be found. At this point in time all possibilities are probable ranging from lies from Rudiger to a cover up from Spurs (I'm not saying either are likely before anyone gets upset). Because of this there really isn't anything to discuss. A man thought he heard racist abuse, nothing could be found so everyone should move on unless more evidence is found to prove one side right or wrong. 
    I get your point Colthe3rd, but generally no evidence means not guilty in other cases, rather than ifs and buts.

I just think it’s a bit more than ‘nothing to discuss’ and ‘move on’, as 1. a huge precedent was set on the protocol etc which has lasting ramifications. It’s not just a bit of standard unproven hearsay and 2. The accusation sticks for most people and I don’t think that’s right.

If there has been proven racist abuse, use all the powers you can to punish and re-educate, but if it’s not proven, I think more should be made of it and it will be used against fans in future and to support players future actions which is a dangerous direction in my opinion, but I’m obviously in the minority so i’ll leave it be.
    What do you think should be done in this instance?
    Maybe an actual national news item “no evidence found of racist abuse at game as previously reported”.l etc.

Going on to say how people should remain vigilant and report to Stewards if they see or hear something as we don’t want to move backwards on the issue”

Fantasy land maybe but the outpouring of news/slurs surrounding the original claim and relative silence around the result of the investigation just doesn't sit right. And I said exactly the same about the Millwall v Brighton incident years ago and I don’t exactly enjoy defending them.
    I find this a bit hard to follow.  You're suggesting that there should be "an actual national news item" explaining that there was no evidence of racist abuse found. 

And yet there have been several news articles stating exactly that.  

Including the one on the link you posted on your original post.  
  • By item I meant TV news. I should have specified. You couldn’t fail to hear the initial story whether you were a football fan or not. It was on most news bulletins and consequently was the talk of our largely football hating office that Monday. I guarantee this story has barely registered. I know that’s the media and that how it works, but it doesn’t make it right.