Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nimer and Southall interview - training ground, network clubs, Middle East commercial partnerships

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    At the risk of being slaughtered...
    If this much money is now behind the club, why are we looking at players from Bristol Rovers, Peterborough United and Blackpool?
    No - I don't expect them to bring in Harry Kane and Ronaldo. But, I'd expect reinforcements from slightly higher up the food chain than those we are being told about.

Roland had more money. He was a billionaire. Tahnoon is worth 500 mil. People speculate his family must be co-funding but every word out of ESI has been that they're not gonna run up masses of wage and transfer debt. Just fans getting excited. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    If this much money is now behind the club, why are we looking at players from Bristol Rovers, Peterborough United and Blackpool?
    No - I don't expect them to bring in Harry Kane and Ronaldo. But, I'd expect reinforcements from slightly higher up the food chain than those we are being told about.

Roland had more money. He was a billionaire. Tahnoon is worth 500 mil. People speculate his family must be co-funding but every word out of ESI has been that they're not gonna run up masses of wage and transfer debt. Just fans getting excited. 
    No Roland had £500m in 2014 we don't know how much ESI are worth.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Chunes said:

What's the source for Roland being a billionaire in £s? I thought I read somewhere his personal wealth was about 500m Euros.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I was sure he was a billionaire. Huh. What a loser.
    Mind you he was with us for 6years, not that we could ever forget and his stash has no doubt increased over that period 👿.
  • Options

Because this isn’t, and never was going to be, a Man City type situation. I think we all got excited that we were getting bought by a Sheikh. We’ve actually been bought by a guy who works for a Sheikh who has enormous personal wealth by any standard, but not that sort of unlimited money that Sheikh Mansoor basically has.

I still think money will be spent, I might just have been a bit hasty getting “Kane” printed on the back of my Charlton shirt! 
  • Options
    Yes, even if it was Herbie Kane.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Bet Davison or Maynard-Brewer wouldn't mind six months in the UAE.
    Or even Chris Solly.

I doubt five players will suddenly arrive unannounced from the gulf expecting to start in the first team, that would be ridiculous.
    As ridiculous as a goalkeeper who can't catch, kick or throw arriving unannounced from Belgium and expecting to start in the first team? 

I don't give a shit if people think I'm negative. I think this whole purchase stinks. Southall comes across as having no more substance or trustworthiness than a used car salesman, we've seen zero evidence of any signings - without which we're certainly getting relegated, and they may or may not even have bought the ground or the training ground. 

Extremely worried. 
    Maybe I’m just an eternal optimist, but I honestly think with our squad, that we have at the moment once a few more injuries return, and Bowyer at the helm, you cannot say we’re certainly getting relegated. Before our injuries we were 2nd! Not saying we don’t need some reinforcements to help us out.

Will reserve judgement on our new owners till I see how the rest of this month plays out. But as I’ve said before, I’ve never had an issue with them not wanting to be mugged off by players demanding the earth.

We wait and hope that we’re all feeling positive on our way to watching the Barnsley game on Feb 1st.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Bet Davison or Maynard-Brewer wouldn't mind six months in the UAE.
    Or even Chris Solly.

I doubt five players will suddenly arrive unannounced from the gulf expecting to start in the first team, that would be ridiculous.
    As ridiculous as a goalkeeper who can't catch, kick or throw arriving unannounced from Belgium and expecting to start in the first team? 

I don't give a shit if people think I'm negative. I think this whole purchase stinks. Southall comes across as having no more substance or trustworthiness than a used car salesman, we've seen zero evidence of any signings - without which we're certainly getting relegated, and they may or may not even have bought the ground or the training ground. 

Extremely worried. 
    Maybe I’m just an eternal optimist, but I honestly think with our squad, that we have at the moment once a few more injuries return, and Bowyer at the helm, you cannot say we’re certainly getting relegated. Before our injuries we were 2nd! Not saying we don’t need some reinforcements to help us out.

Will reserve judgement on our new owners till I see how the rest of this month plays out. But as I’ve said before, I’ve never had an issue with them not wanting to be mugged off by players demanding the earth.

We wait and hope that we’re all feeling positive on our way to watching the Barnsley game on Feb 1st.
    I'd agree. We still have a fighting chance of avoiding it but there was an opportunity to make us safe. We certainly are not safe now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @WishIdStayedinthePub very interesting final paragraph, never occurred to me, but who knows. 
  • Options
    Just taken a Youtube tour of Al Ain not impressed with this.

First, Al Ain Museum ....... next, to commemorate our portacabin years exiled at Shitfield, the Charlton Palace Museum.

I wonder if they've told Henry yet?   :smile:

• Options

Complete conjecture .... I've been wondering if this relates to Lee's 'strange' comment.  I wouldn't be surprised if some element of his incentive is some kind of equity participation in the club and it's taken him a while to, first, get his head around it, second value it, and third then work through the detail of all the clauses, particularly if his agent is working out how he gets paid.  It would explain the 5 year nature of his deal.  And/or it would tie in with the hardball negotiation, via the press, that he really did just want the cash, thanks ...

Very interesting point of view. Thank you for posting.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Complete conjecture .... I've been wondering if this relates to Lee's 'strange' comment.  I wouldn't be surprised if some element of his incentive is some kind of equity participation in the club and it's taken him a while to, first, get his head around it, second value it, and third then work through the detail of all the clauses, particularly if his agent is working out how he gets paid.  It would explain the 5 year nature of his deal.  And/or it would tie in with the hardball negotiation, via the press, that he really did just want the cash, thanks ...

Agree WISITP.
    Do you think they have factored relegation into their model?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Thanks @WishIdStayedinthePub

What I was thinking but set out much better than I could.

I still think once a certain level is reached other investors will be "invited" to take a share of the club ie the Shiekh and friends.

Southall will get a return via his shares but remains as CEO.

That is the exit strategy IMHO.

Questions 1 to 5 (owner, plan, funding, Valley, training ground) sort of answered but more clarification needed)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Extremely good post @WishIdStayedinthePub which sounds very plausible but I fear will be lost on those who are already convinced the club has fallen into the wrong hands. Only time will allay those fears with the outcome of the current transfer window and property issues within the next six months. Meanwhile l remain upbeat whilst adopting a wait and see approach before inviting on a stomach ulcer.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Agree WISITP.
    I would have thought so - would just be sensible contingency planning and I think Southall said that somewhere recently.  

That would impact TV revenue for a years (6-8m?), hopefully not as much on gates as the last two years with no boycott and you would expect all the contracts to include provisions for relegation. So maybe adds 10 million to the cost case and puts the revenue case back a year, in a worse case situation.  So, to be avoided, but can be costed and built in to the case fairly easily.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Agree WISITP.
    IN the report linked by the OP, it said:

"Southall said also that provisions are in place should Charlton be relegated this season, and that a return to League One would not impact significantly the club’s ability to generate revenue from Gulf sponsors."

• Options
    The other thing is that the plan described by @WishIdStayedinthePub isn't that far away from the Spivs, in my eyes at least.

That was going fine until they went to Kevin Cash and asked for more money. He said "no" and pulled the plug.

Tahnoon Nimer isn't a hidden name, unlike Cash, but perhaps his ultimate backers are. There is a risk that there is no contingency fund if things go wrong.

I'm not calling ESI Spivs BTW, just that their plans are not a million miles away.

• Options
    Anyone notice anything different on here?

https://adbd.ae/

Competition closes at midnight
    A free ticket to the Den for the winner!

• Options
    I like the mention of regular supporter “loans” and the annual pre season supporter training camp in Abu Dhabi - clearly part of the keep the fans happy approach.

The whole Upper Covered End can move east on a cultural exchange and engage in teaching some tasteful choral works.
  • Options

No longer private office of the Shiekh?
  • Options

?
  • Options

Bingo!