Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most underrated player for Charlton

Comments

• Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Also an Honorable mention for Chris Perry who I thought was outstanding in his time with us.
    I think everyone did so not sure he'd be underrated. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Also an Honorable mention for Chris Perry who I thought was outstanding in his time with us.
    I remember him keeping Peter Crouch quiet, in fact I don't think Crouchie won a header against him despite being a foot taller! 
  • Options
    Dennis Booth, always did well when called upon.
  • Options
    Mark Robson.... John Robinson was the player who had the successful career but I thought Robson was a cracking player and cant remember what happened to him...
  • Options
    Chris Bart Williams another one who I remember thinking looked a proper player.
  • Options
    One we've all forgotten LEABURN!
  • Options
    Mark Hudson - not one of our greats but a very good centre back. Never understood why he got so much stick.
  • Options
    Graham Stuart 100%, if he played today would be a England international
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    In recent times Buyens, Hayes and Motta
    Poor old Paul Hayes. Lovely skillful player but had the misfortune of being around at the same time as our best and most beloved player since the Premier League days. Terrible luck
    Think he’s playing in the Isthmian South East League for Faversham Town now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keith Jones 
  • Options
    Dave madden, George Shipley, Alan Kernahagn, John Bumstead,Martin Robinson(like marmite), Keith jones, Chris perry. Andy Todd(pure warrior)
  • Options
    Me.
    Magic man.... quality!
  • Options
    Whilst he was a bit lightweight I always enjoyed watching Mark Stuart - on his day a tidy skilful player 
    Always liked him. Famously got the winner in our 1-0 win at Old Trafford in 1986. 
  • Options
    Willie Duff the goalie with a great punch, ask Everton!
  • Options
    Michael Smith - a proven goal scorer at L1 and Champ level. 
    Barely got a kick for us. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    ♥️Reza♥️ Ghoochannejhad 

Kept us up with that sweet winner in the 1-0 over Leeds.

Admittedly he did little else for us, but was fantastic for Iran.

Frederic Bulot

Started very slowly for us, then returned from the African Cup of Nations and was bloody good. Clearly protected himself by cruising along at 50% before then.

• Options
    Certainly Les Berry would be one of my choices for being underrated. I'd add the Kish but he always seemed higgly regarded to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    In our promotion season 85/86 at Selhurst Park I used to like George Shipley and thought he was an important part of that team.  He also chipped in with a few goals including one at Millwall I think in a 2.2 draw although I might be wrong.
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    In our promotion season 85/86 at Selhurst Park I used to like George Shipley and thought he was an important part of that team.  He also chipped in with a few goals including one at Millwall I think in a 2.2 draw although I might be wrong.
    Melrose (on debut) and Shipley from the edge of the box that day. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The most underrated player for me was Diawara - thought he was a real quality player who many of our fans never rated. One of the best tacklers I've seen. 
    We've had such a churn of players over the past 10 years, I'll see someone named and think 'Oh yeah... Bloody hell... He played for us. Totally forgot about him.'

Top quality he was. Gutted when he went. 

I'll echo support for Graham Stuart. He could do everything. But he had an uncanny knack for being able to drive the team 25-yards up the pitch just by running with the ball seemingly into a dead end, then turning and passing it back to everyone who had moved up behind him. 

We weren't the best at moving the ball around back then and it helped us get a foothold in games. 

I also thought Greg Shields and Garry Rowett looked brilliant. Shame injuries cut their Charlton careers short.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    The most underrated player for me was Diawara - thought he was a real quality player who many of our fans never rated. One of the best tacklers I've seen. 
    We've had such a churn of players over the past 10 years, I'll see someone named and think 'Oh yeah... Bloody hell... He played for us. Totally forgot about him.'

I'll echo support for Graham Stuart. He could do everything. But he had an uncanny knack for being able to drive the team 25-yards up the pitch just by running with the ball seemingly into a dead end, then turning and passing it back to everyone who had moved up behind him. 

We weren't the best at moving the ball around back then and it helped us get a foothold in games. 

I also thought Greg Shields and Garry Rowett looked brilliant. Shame injuries cut their Charlton careers short.

As a youth player his team mates called Stuart  “Bobby” - as they thought he was the new Bobby Moore. 
  • Options
    Florentin Pogba.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I refer you to the runaround Jermain Easter gave Diawara in that league cup game.  Diawara had an excellent career in football but none of it was with us 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Mark Hudson - not one of our greats but a very good centre back. Never understood why he got so much stick.
    Good pick, as shown by his career after he left us. Not his fault that Pardew somehow left us with only one decent CB in the entire squad
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:

I refer you to the runaround Jermain Easter gave Diawara in that league cup game.  Diawara had an excellent career in football but none of it was with us 
    I must have missed that one!
  • Options
    Always a bit concerned with Diawara when he made his debut in August or September wearing gloves.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    None of these other than Diawara and the Keepers were ever actually underrated IMO. Lots of them were rated quite highly whilst we were here. Kishishev for example one of our most rated players in my lifetime.
    I agree, no one I knew underrated Kish, we all thought he was great 
  • Options
    I thought Mark Bowen merited even more acclaim.  

His defensive work as a full back was superb.  I recall him taking the ball from attackers time after time,  like candy from a baby.
  • Options
    Whilst he was a bit lightweight I always enjoyed watching Mark Stuart - on his day a tidy skilful player 
    Always liked him. Famously got the winner in our 1-0 win at Old Trafford in 1986. 
    And I was there to witness that win - what a day !!!