Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cultural appropriation

Comments

• I feel triggered.
  • edited January 2020
    I hate that the internet allowed cultural appropriation to even be a thing. Pre-internet it would've been resigned to some academic loon's obscure and widely disregarded book. But because people love to be outraged, and the fact is, as a concept it is bloody ridiculous, it had a certain virality to it and it caught on. 
  • edited January 2020
    Is this not political discussion?
    Edit: What he said.
  • Is this not political discussion?
    agreed, problem is the lack of anything interesting about CAFC on here has led to a need for any old topic to keep us all motivated and to stave off extreme boredom
  • Not watched it yet - not got the time right now. But Tom Walker (Pie is a character played by him, for those who don't know) is a left wing comedian.  
  • Not watched it yet - not got the time right now. But Tom Walker (Pie is a character played by him, for those who don't know) is a left wing comedian.  
    There are still people that think he's  a genuine news reporter
  • Goodness grief
  • Sponsored links:

• I should probably clarify that I do know Pie is fictitious. But the above rant is presented as opinion, and not satire, hence my response.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    I should probably clarify that I do know Pie is fictitious. But the above rant is presented as opinion, and not satire, hence my response.
    It's obviously satire - not a recent invention.
  • ah yes, i think i'll file this one under "white middle aged man terrified of the world changing".
  • edited January 2020
    ah yes, i think i'll file this one under "white middle aged man terrified of the world changing".
    That's a 16 year old white girl called Greta
  • ah yes, i think i'll file this one under "white middle aged man terrified of the world changing".
    What's age got to do with finding something stupid? 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    I should probably clarify that I do know Pie is fictitious. But the above rant is presented as opinion, and not satire, hence my response.

Yoiu've also said: It's comedy not an academic essay. You laugh at things that you find funny rather than analyze them to decide if they're acceptable or not.

But you're calling it a "brilliant summary", implying it is to be taken at face value. So I stand by what I've said. (I don't really find the character funny tbf)
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Yoiu've also said: It's comedy not an academic essay. You laugh at things that you find funny rather than analyze them to decide if they're acceptable or not.

But you're calling it a "brilliant summary", implying it is to be taken at face value. So I stand by what I've said. (I don't really find the character funny tbf)
    I think it's clear you didn't find it funny.
  • Just watched it out of curiosity. 
    It's his attempt at humour and the audience obviously found him funny. 
    I don't believe for one moment that he believed half of what he said himself.
    Nothing to get upset about. 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

At least that's clear, unlike your motivations for posting this on the main forum. Was it satire? Was it to highlight how ridiculous lefty outrage culture is? Was it to bait people like me? WHO WILL EVER KNOW
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

At least that's clear, unlike your motivations for posting this on the main forum. Was it satire? Was it to highlight how ridiculous lefty outrage culture is? Was it to bait people like me? WHO WILL EVER KNOW
    I thought it was funny - it's comedy. We all like different things.

I've laughed at things that mock my beliefs - I think that's a healthy thing. We all need to have a sense of the ridiculous.

I've no interest in baiting you.
  • This debate goes back as far as the Bonzo's asking if blue men can sing the whites and even further back than that.
    For me criss crossing and fusion and such stuff is part of the essence of creativity.
    Stealing and passing it off as your personal original creation is a different thing altogether.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

I've laughed at things that mock my beliefs - I think that's a healthy thing. We all need to have a sense of the ridiculous.

Yeah, the bait thing of course wasn't your motivation - fair enough; I shouldn't have been flippant.

I suppose my vigorous defence of my beliefs here stems from the fact that there *will* be people who unironically agree with all the points in the OP (esp the weaker ones I've highlighted), and if "lol the loony left what are they like" is reinforced by satire, then that isn't going to be constructive moving forward.
  • White people shouldn’t have dreadlocks purely because it looks rank.
     :) 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Yeah, the bait thing of course wasn't your motivation - fair enough; I shouldn't have been flippant.

I suppose my vigorous defence of my beliefs here stems from the fact that there *will* be people who unironically agree with all the points in the OP (esp the weaker ones I've highlighted), and if "lol the loony left what are they like" is reinforced by satire, then that isn't going to be constructive moving forward.
    You can be left wing and think that cultural appropriation is a ridiculous idea. That's the point.
  • White people shouldn’t have dreadlocks purely because it looks rank.
     :) 
    I’ve got no fucking chance of upsetting anyone by growing dreadlocks.

Might put a few Buddhist noses out of joint though (especially overweight ones).
    What's comedy got to do with Jonathan Pie? One trick pony that seems to think going on bill burr style rants is somehow original.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

You can be left wing and think that cultural appropriation is a ridiculous idea. That's the point.
    Absolutely. You can also think it's not as ridiculous as articulated in the above video, even if people are overzealous in their pursuit of "appropriators", hence my response.
    What's comedy got to do with Jonathan Pie? One trick pony that seems to think going on bill burr style rants is somehow original.
    What's your answer got to do with my question? Etc...