Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shaun Bartlett: I Loved Charlton

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    What a legend. His home debut against Utd is one of my favourite fan experiences, from the back of the JS.

Edit: treat yourselves - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBgdt__ejaI
  • Options
    Never scored enough goals nor did any striker in our Prem days until Bent 
    What about the 6 or 7 a season he saved by heading them away from opponents corners ? Not technically a goal but as good as really.
    Agree with this.  

We were incredibly lucky to get D. Bent but that didn’t keep us up.  Our 10 goal a season strikers were more than enough to give us several wonderful seasons ; I miss those days 
  • Options
    What a legend. His home debut against Utd is one of my favourite fan experiences, from the back of the JS.

Edit: treat yourselves - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBgdt__ejaI
    That’s amazing.  Thanks so much for posting.  Great goalkeeping at both ends too.
  • Options
    29 years that goal? Where had the time gone???
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Never scored enough goals nor did any striker in our Prem days until Bent 
    What about the 6 or 7 a season he saved by heading them away from opponents corners ? Not technically a goal but as good as really.
    Similar to Leaburn and Magennis. It felt like having an extra CB at set plays.

I often wondered whether like Arthur Horsfield or Ronnie Moore whether he could have played there for a while. 
  • Options
    29 years that goal? Where had the time gone???
    I think it’s 20 years boss....
  • Options
    I dont remember us chanting 'yellows, yellows, yellows' have they added that in from a Norwich game after JJs shot.
  • Options
    we were at Anfield on a freebie sitting in the middle of a Liverpool stand and I made the mistake of standing and shouting when Shaun scored - not the most diplomatic thing I have even done but worth it :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dont remember us chanting 'yellows, yellows, yellows' have they added that in from a Norwich game after JJs shot.

I do remember us chanting that during the game.

I was in Lancashire for the Easter weekend with the family, and on the Sunday my wife suggested visiting Liverpool. I agreed, and mentioned that we could go to Anfield in the afternoon.  Didn't know how to buy tickets for the away end. When we turned up, I queued in their ticket shop, only to be told to buy them at the turnstile.  So we bought 3 tickets just before kick off, and the crowd was 40,003.
    It was my wife's first Charlton game. A great day out.

We should also have had a penalty when Gerrard pushed Bartlett in the back as he jumped for a free header, but that's never shown in any highlights.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Hadn’t winning in yellow become a bit of a trend that season? Blackburn, Birmingham, Liverpool… probably more that I don’t remember. Seem to remember thinking that yellow kit was a good luck charm and might explain the chant by this point in the season.
  • Options
    Loved that team, 100% every week, mixed with some talented players! Shame our away following was so bad then, it was a huge game at that point of the season! 
  • Options
    995632 said:
    clive said:
    "still in the hunt for the fourth Champions League place..." 

Oh what could've been... 
    Make that……Oh  what “should” have been!
  • Options
    How low we have sunk.
  • Options
    Table as it stood after the result…

Very interesting that below the top four, every single one of those teams has been relegated from the Premier League at some point since. Only two of them are currently back in it, with Fulham on their way. We're the only one of those teams to drop down into the third divison, but Fulham, Middlesbrough and Birmingham have all had relegation run-ins and last day survivals in the Championship. Birmingham stayed up on goal difference in 13/14, Fulham stayed up by 2 points in 15/16 and Middlesbrough ended the 19/20 season in 17th. Goes to show that as bad as our recent history has been we're not the only side who looks back on these years and wonders how it came to this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shaun, we loved you.
  • Options
    Odd how these golden days just didn't get the fanbase going, as that bare away end at Anfield shows.

I know we're Charlton and our away support was consistently terrible in those days, but recent years have shown we can travel in decent numbers and make ourselves heard. Just didn't happen it all in this era though, even though we were flying high.