Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Much as it galls me to praise Liverpool

13»

Comments

• Vincenzo said:
    Vincenzo said:
    They're a marvel. Probably the best football team England has ever seen. And they've got Joe Gomez.

Baffled by the hatred for them from some quarters but I suspect that says more about the haters than it does Liverpool. 

Hope they go unbeaten, though mostly because it will disappoint gooners. 
    I guess you dont know many Liverpool fans?

My hatred is not at all baffling, and I'll tell you for why.

I am in a WhatsApp Group, there is alot of fans in there from different teams and if Man Utd win, Chelsea, Arsenal, Charlton you dont here a peep from anyone who supports those, but every single time Liverpool win, the same messages come through from the same people, up the unbearable reds with a gif of Jordan Henderson lifting the champions league, then another one with 7 or 8 red ball things, then another message with something else.

This happens everytime they win
    Yes, I know plenty of Liverpool fans, the vast majority of them from Liverpool. All of them decent. 

Also a big fan of boycotting The Sun. It's a stain on English life. 
    Yeah but you dont have to be a Liverpool fan to agree with that and lets be honest other newspapers are just as bad 
  • edited February 2020
    Vincenzo said:
    They're a marvel. Probably the best football team England has ever seen. And they've got Joe Gomez.

Baffled by the hatred for them from some quarters but I suspect that says more about the haters than it does Liverpool. 

I am in a WhatsApp Group, there is alot of fans in there from different teams and if Man Utd win, Chelsea, Arsenal, Charlton you dont here a peep from anyone who supports those, but every single time Liverpool win, the same messages come through from the same people, up the unbearable reds with a gif of Jordan Henderson lifting the champions league, then another one with 7 or 8 red ball things, then another message with something else.

“This happens every time they win.”
    Errm paulie, that’s every f'ing week......what are they supposed to post...Jeezus. 
    I also used to do a lot of work in Liverpool with Beatles guitars which I supplied to a number of memorabilia outlets and The Cavern Club, I was there regularly.
    I met many Liverpool fans and where I dare say they have their fair share of numpties, all I can say is I never came across one that I had any beef with and I made it very clear I was an Addick.
    Funnily enough it was Bill Shankly who I took a liking to and so came to appreciate and have a soft spot for Liverpool.....he is my all time favourite manager.
    I wonder how many of you younger guys know he was the manager of Huddersfield for the 7-6 game 21st December 1957....that was so annoying for me as my first game was just a couple of months or so later in early 1958....at the age of 10.
  • Vincenzo said:

This happens every time they win.”
    Errm paulie, that’s every f'ing week......what are they supposed to post...Jeezus. 
    I also used to do a lot of work in Liverpool with Beatles guitars which I supplied to a number of memorabilia outlets and The Cavern Club, I was there regularly.
    I met many Liverpool fans and where I dare say they have their fair share of numpties, all I can say is I never came across one that I had any beef with and I made it very clear I was an Addick.
    Funnily enough it was Bill Shankly who I took a liking to and so came to appreciate and have a soft spot for Liverpool.....he is my all time favourite manager.
    I wonder how many of you younger guys know he was the manager of Huddersfield for the 7-6 game 21st December 1957....that was so annoying for me as my first game was just a couple of months or so later in early 1958....at the age of 10.
    I know its every week.

What I am saying is do they have to post the same shit everytime they win lol.

They beat norwich and its up the unbearable reds with the jordan Henderson lifting champions league picture and then the red balld and 3 or 4 more messages lol.

When we beat forest i didnt even post anything.

There are 4 or 5 United fans in the group good win against Chelsea tonight and yet they wont post anything like that lol.

Its only ever the Liverpool fans that do it, drives me nuts 
  • Fuck them and there doesn’t have to be any rational to football hatred .
    I used to love them years back as a youngster and I’m a fan of Klopp ! 
    but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed their years of trouble (aaaaah diddums) of not winning the league and having to just get by with the odd Champions League or Cup win ,  the only joy in seeing Man U winning the leagues all that time is that it hurt the scousers .
    Some of my best pals are liverpool and yep I enjoyed them suffering,  welcome to a minuscule part of my footballing world .
    all the scum fans I know are decent blokes , doesn’t mean I don’t wanna see their club get relegated 10 leagues or disappear in to footballing oblivion.

dont know any Man City or Leicester fans so loved it when they won the league , don’t like seeing others celebrate that I know , yes what a miserable twunt I am but that’s life football
  • Can’t stand them, but respect that Klopp has put together a good side .  He’s made average players a heck of a lot better which is always the sign of an excellent manager 
  • I loved Shankly's passion and his team played with attacking intent. Ian st John was my favourite.

Then the team of the early eighties ? were outstanding.
    A real shame they were disqualified from European competition.

The present side are not to shabby!!

They have always been my favoured prem side. Although never been to the ground.

Strangely I cant stand the Scouse accent.  Suppose it's not their fault, not being a
     sauf Londoner.

• My dad”s a united fan and used to take me as a kid.
    That, along with being chased by a group of scousers through the car park near anfield on way back to cafc coaches (late 80s? night game) means they are not on my list of clubs I have a soft spot for.

But it is nice to have a small club win the league from time to time.
  • Vincenzo said:

This happens every time they win.”
    I know its every week.

What I am saying is do they have to post the same shit everytime they win lol.

They beat norwich and its up the unbearable reds with the jordan Henderson lifting champions league picture and then the red balld and 3 or 4 more messages lol.

When we beat forest i didnt even post anything.

There are 4 or 5 United fans in the group good win against Chelsea tonight and yet they wont post anything like that lol.

Its only ever the Liverpool fans that do it, drives me nuts 
    If you hate them so much, why all the 'lol's?  Sounds like you're have a fine old time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Liverpool are obviously unstoppable right now, 97 points last year, won the CL and have now won 24 out of 25 games this season whilst also winning the World Club cup too.

Interested to know where people would rank them in English top flight history? Surely have to be amongst the best 2-3 sides ever?

The treble winning United side have to be up there.
    Not having the Arsenal invincibles as their points tally wasn't great and they did nothing in Europe.
    Man City deserve a mention for the last 2 years (198 points in 2 seasons) and the first domestic treble winners. But does their European failure let them down?
    The Forest side who came up from Division 2 and won Division 1 the next year and then the European cup the 2 years running after that under Clough? Also won 2 league cups in that time and from what i've read about them, they had a squad of only 17-18 players. Incredible really.
    The Liverpool side of the late 70s/early 80s who won a ton of league titles and 4 European cups?

Any other worthy mentions?
  • Liverpool are obviously unstoppable right now, 97 points last year, won the CL and have now won 24 out of 25 games this season whilst also winning the World Club cup too.

Interested to know where people would rank them in English top flight history? Surely have to be amongst the best 2-3 sides ever?

Not having the Arsenal invincibles as their points tally wasn't great and they did nothing in Europe.
    Man City deserve a mention for the last 2 years (198 points in 2 seasons) and the first domestic treble winners. But does their European failure let them down?
    The Forest side who came up from Division 2 and won Division 1 the next year and then the European cup the 2 years running after that under Clough? Also won 2 league cups in that time and from what i've read about them, they had a squad of only 17-18 players. Incredible really.
    The Liverpool side of the late 70s/early 80s who won a ton of league titles and 4 European cups?

Huddersfield won the top flight 3 times in a row 1923-1925 preceded by a 3rd and followed by two 2nd's ,  when i presume it was a much more level playing field 
  • Vincenzo said:

which teams dont you like @Vincenzo

maybe that will baffle me.

personally I hope they lose every game from now until they go out of business.

Purely on major trophies won Liverpool and Manchester United are both on 42 - Liverpool will go to at least 43 this season. Arsenal are third on the list with 30 but have never conquered Europe's main prize. Chelsea follow on 24 (mostly recently) and Aston Villa on 20 (mostly historic).

So on that basis alone the list will be:

1. Liverpool
    2. Manchester United
    3. Arsenal
    4. Chelsea
    5. Aston Villa

I wouldn't argue with that.
  • @bobmunro

I meant where would people rank the current Liverpool side amongst all others?

Most people (i assume) would have no arguments classing Liverpool and United as the 2 biggest/most successful English sides though.
  • @bobmunro

I meant where would people rank the current Liverpool side amongst all others?

Most people (i assume) would have no arguments classing Liverpool and United as the 2 biggest/most successful English sides though.

Gotcha.

On that basis, in terms of achievement with very limited resources - Clough's Forest.

From a purely football quality perspective then this Liverpool side and Man City two years ago would rank as the best I've seen in English football. Man U treble side and Liverpool in the late 70s/early 80s are in the argument as well.
  • Surely Huddersfield must be up there, they haven't lost a league game for over 5 years.
  • edited February 2020
    I loved Shankly's passion and his team played with attacking intent. Ian st John was my favourite.

Then the team of the early eighties ? were outstanding.
    A real shame they were disqualified from European competition.

The present side are not to shabby!!

They have always been my favoured prem side. Although never been to the ground.

Strangely I cant stand the Scouse accent.  Suppose it's not their fault, not being a
     sauf Londoner.

Speaking about Ian StJohn reminds of a funny story that happened during his heyday.
    There was a church in Liverpool that had a large day glow sign outside saying “What shall we do when The Lord comes.”
    Someone wrote underneath....... “Move StJohn to inside left”.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Vincenzo said:

which teams dont you like @Vincenzo

maybe that will baffle me.

personally I hope they lose every game from now until they go out of business.

Fair enough. As @oohaahmortimer has illustrated, football hatreds are often irrational. 

Mine is for Arsenal, but I do have a reason, however rational is it, I don't know. My family were from Woolwich and Woolwich Arsenal supporters. The people of Plumstead and Woolwich bust a gut to clear a decrepit football ground for them to play on. Even then they were world famous. Then they decided they could make more money in Islington so said, screw Plumstead and Woolwich, we're off. As far as my family was concerned they betrayed South London, so seeing Arse shirts in South London does annoy me. 

I don't have any reason to hate Liverpool and haven't seen any on this thread that make a lot of sense either.
  • Sponsored links:

• 22nd February and they are in the Champions League next season whatever happens against Atletico and the rest of the Prem season.