Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oregon or Nevada road trip

I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to do a ten day RV road trip across either Oregon or Nevada with my middle son . We have both been to California so dont want to revisit it for a driving holiday. My boy is 20 years old and is a budding filmmaker. I fish and love MTB and he is a big wilderness fan. Im struggling to find something in either that really swings it for me. Anyone had any experience of either State ? 

We went to Vegas as a family some years ago for two days and I think my son and I felt it was probably 2 days too long.

Comments

• You could combine Southern Nevada with Arizona which has some incredible scenery (very varied too, not just desert) 
  • whats wrong with the lake district?
  • If you're an outdoorsy type you should visit the Red Rock National Conservation Area that's just outside Vegas.  Lake Mead must have a fish or two in it as well.
  • So I'm biased because I live in Oregon, but Oregon is incredibly beautiful. You have beautiful mountain ranges and lakes and then beaches that are really pretty (different to SoCal beaches). There's no sales tax here. A lot of films/TV series are set/filmed in the Pacific Northwest because the area has a character to it. Would definitely recommend that for filmmaking. 
  • If you combine Nevada and AZ, as @se9addick said, there is some wonderful scenery, but, its bloody hot from about May - Oct!

Drove from San Diego to Yuma, then on to Phoenix, finally to  Vegas via Kingman (and Route 66) last September, some epic scenery - Hoover Dam being one part with Lake Mead. I'm heading back out in AZ in a few weeks, can't wait!
  • BDL said:
    If you combine Nevada and AZ, as @se9addick said, there is some wonderful scenery, but, its bloody hot from about May - Oct!

Drove from San Diego to Yuma, then on to Phoenix, finally to  Vegas via Kingman (and Route 66) last September, some epic scenery - Hoover Dam being one part with Lake Mead. I'm heading back out in AZ in a few weeks, can't wait!
    Kingman is a weird place! 
  • Both are lovely and have their different aspects.  If you are doing Nevada, you really MUST go over the border into Utah to see the Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks, both of which are very special indeed.  Oregon of course has the amazing Crater Lake NP and other attractions.  You might have to toss a coin!  (Oh, Oregon also has The Rogue Brewery and its Dead Guy Ale, that might tip things into Oregon's favour!)
  • Oregon definitely. Cannon Beach and all the forests are amazing 
  • For a road trip like that I reckon Oregon would be a better bet, but not by much
  • BDL said:
    If you combine Nevada and AZ, as @se9addick said, there is some wonderful scenery, but, its bloody hot from about May - Oct!

Tanks BDL - I drove the Big Sur a few years ago with the family and we did LA to Phoenix , up to Vegas and back to LA . It was enjoyable but think we might do something a bit different this time 
  • Sponsored links:

• whats wrong with the lake district?

I did that on a mountain bike a few years ago :smiley:
  • SDAddick said:
    So I'm biased because I live in Oregon, but Oregon is incredibly beautiful. You have beautiful mountain ranges and lakes and then beaches that are really pretty (different to SoCal beaches). There's no sales tax here. A lot of films/TV series are set/filmed in the Pacific Northwest because the area has a character to it. Would definitely recommend that for filmmaking. 
    Thanks SD - any chance I could pick your brains on a few bits ?
  • If I were you I would choose two national parks within a few hours drive of one and other. The driving really takes it out of you and if you are doing long stints, ten days will fly by in a blink of an eye. I drove across America from San Francisco taking in Texas, Michigan and Maine (plus of a whole lot more) much of the USA it is wide open space, with not a lot to see.

Yosemite to Zion, would be suitable with both Death Valley and the Grand Canyon in range should you be feeling adventurous. Yosemite is very green and has some amazing trails, I actually preferred this to the Grand Canyon.

Where are you picking the RV up from? One thing to be aware of, it shouldn't be a problem if visiting National Parks. Some places are unreachable in large motor homes and may even require a car with a high clearance. Make sure you do your research before visiting, I would try to do as much planning before hand. We done a lot of winging it, sometimes it works, but other times It didn't and with only ten days to play with you want to make the most of every day.

• I'd go for Oregon, much more verdant than Nevada ..  in summer Nevada is hot hot hot .. you didn't like Vegas ? .. then give Nev a miss .. (it all depends of course on where you like to fish lol)
  • Oregon is a stunning state. We are doing a lifetime challenge to tick off every state and of the 38 we have done - Oregon is my favourite. The scenery is out of this world (for reference my other favourites in no particular order are Maine, Utah, Colorado, South Carolina).
  • Oregon is a stunning state. We are doing a lifetime challenge to tick off every state and of the 38 we have done - Oregon is my favourite. The scenery is out of this world (for reference my other favourites in no particular order are Maine, Utah, Colorado, South Carolina).
    Soinds fun @DamoNorthStand. I particulary like Yellowstone National Park and the Black Hills, SD 

Off to San Fransisco on Thurs and have booked a day trip to Yosemite, my first time there.
  • Yea we've driven in Oregon twice. The Columbia River gorge is full of fantastic waterfalls along the south bank (including Multnomah Falls) . Portland is a nice city full of good bars, and (the much smaller) Astoria has a very art deco feel to it... Mount Hood is huge and has great hotels. The coast from Astoria has good whale watching, plus seals etc.  It was cool and damp when we drove down so we cut inland just past Florence and found much warmer weather as we headed up the North Umpqua River (fantastic fishing). More huge waterfalls around here too. Crater Lake is one fantastic place to go (right up there with Yosemite, Arches, etc etc). The John Day Fossil Beds are strangely strange, and Baker City is one of my favourite small towns in America. The Sumpter Dredge is a great bit of kit in a near ghost town. If you go in September, try to take in the Pendleton Round Up (rodeo at it's finest!), while the Eagle Cap train (at La Grande) is a must for Addicks obviously.  There are great museums at Baker City (Oregon Trail) and an Indian one (can't remember the name) further up I-84. Then of course you have Hell's Canyon, a deeper canyon than Grand Canyon itself (though not as impressive)! White water rafting is good there if in season.  Fabulous state - go enjoy!  As for Nevada, it's mostly either desert or military grounds, although the road from Winnemucca to Wendover was fairly interesting.  PM me if you need any more detail of where to stay?
  • Not been to Nevada, but did a San Fran to Seattle road trip with the family 9 years back and drove through Oregon.  It's stunning - Crater Lake is a must visit - breathtaking.  Portland is a very cool city.  Took in a bunch of places, and it's all good - coast is amazing -  Mount Hood and Columbia River as mentioned above.  Geography is varied - coastal rain forests to desert in SE corner.  One of my favourite states.
  • My one trip through Nevada (admittedly the northern route from Salt Lake City to San Francisco) involved hour upon hour of nothingness, then Reno, then more hours of nothingness. So based on that, I'd say head to Oregon.
  • edited February 2020
    Another vote for driving up through Nevada into Utah and spending some time in Zion National Park. It is simply stunning. Did it three years ago on a US holiday with my son. Also down into Arizona to the Canyon lands. We did a five night “desert” drive in a diamond shape starting and finishing in Vegas. First we drove up to Zion for an overnighter.  Then on to Monument Valley for another overnighter. Then down to Tusayan for a two night Canyonlands stay. Then back up to Vegas for three nights (which I agree was two too many!). It was brilliant. Monument Valley is a must see but you only need one night. With hindsight we needed an extra night in Zion to do it justice. We only drove through it. Next time we’ll do some proper treks. Also when in Vegas we drove out to the Hoover Dam which is worth doing too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• A good road trip would be from Vegas to valley of Fire NV to Zion and Bryce in Utah then down to the area around Page AZ for horseshoe bend, antelope canyon etc and then back to Vegas.

for Oregon,  Portland is fun city with a lot of breweries,  food trucks etc.  it has a 20 something hipster vibe to it so your son may like it.  The coast of Oregon is beautiful but I prefer the southern coast around Brandon to the northern coast.  Nearer to Portland there are a lot of scenic hikes to waterfalls, old growth forests.
  • What time of the year are you planning to travel?

• What time of the year are you planning to travel?

First two weeks of june
  • Vote for Cannon Beach in Oregon, one of my favourite places I've been to. The views from Ecola State Park are breathtaking. Magical place. Great brewery there called Public Coast.
  • I give you Pelican Brewery, in Pacific City. About 30 miles south of Cannon Beach. 

• edited February 2020
    I give you Pelican Brewery, in Pacific City. About 30 miles south of Cannon Beach. 

He's going with his 20 year old son.
    I found despite looking and obviously being well over 21, many places still required ID. BONKERS...

Looks incredible though...
  • His son can sit in the van with a bag of crisps and a coke.  That’s what my parents used to do with us. 
  • I give you Pelican Brewery, in Pacific City. About 30 miles south of Cannon Beach. 

Looks fab! I was going to add that Oregon is one of the best stattes for microbrew so for a beer lover no contest. Need a fake ID for your son though.

And hidden in SDAddick's post is that all important benefit for visitors to Oregon: No sales tax.
  • edited February 2020
    Well I have to say a great big “nice one “ to you all. Given my experience of driving in California, Arizona and Nevada, it was wonderful and breathtaking but somewhat samey , therefore

I am sold on Oregon ! Thanks to the other offerings which helped make it a fair fight. I’m chancing my arm looking for second tier advice but hear goes.

I love a few sherbets , mostly ale and I’m not adverse to one or nine craft beers. I have however tired of the glut of over-hooped offerings with a citrusy back end. Prefer rounded best bitter or ruby offerings. The great news is that my boy very rarely takes a drink ..... seen what a dick I am when I’m on the sauce no doubt

I was most struck by the advice not to drive the whole ten days away . Thanks for that . I’m thinking three general areas. Crater Lake - looks incredible and it gives me access to Oakridge only 90 mins away with a 20 mile MTB Singletrack trail of great beauty of repute - I’m a MTB nut so it’s a no brainer . Portland - would like to do a couple of days in the city and Cannon beach looks very special

So a three part question

a) The first two sections outlined. For those in the now ; how does this look to you. 

b) we would like to do some river or lake fishing for a day - any thoughts 

c) if a were to visit one other area where might you suggest . I’ll be starting and ending in San Fransisco

Much obliged for any further assistance 

• I'm not an expert on fishing, but have seen many anglers river fishing in Oregon.  The salmon are huge! Both the Rogue and Umpqua rivers are beautiful and have lots of fish, but I think you need permits,  You may be able to get day passes?

I'd suggest SF - Crater Lake; north to Bend; on via John Day fossil beds to the Columbia River at The Dalles.  Then turn west, take in the waterfalls along the river to Portland. Carry on to Astoria then head south along the coast cutting inland for fishing as and when. That route you would get some lovely scenery plus the drinking and fishing you wanted.