Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Manchester City banned from the Champions League for 2 seasons.

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Statement from Manchester City: 

Manchester City is disappointed but not surprised by today’s announcement by the UEFA Adjudicatory Chamber. The Club has always anticipated the ultimate need to seek out an independent body and process to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position.

In December 2018, the UEFA Chief Investigator publicly previewed the outcome and sanction he intended to be delivered to Manchester City, before any investigation had even begun. The subsequent flawed and consistently leaked UEFA process he oversaw has meant that there was little doubt in the result that he would deliver.  The Club has formally complained to the UEFA Disciplinary body, a complaint which was validated by a CAS ruling.  

Simply put, this is a case initiated by UEFA, prosecuted by UEFA and judged by UEFA. With this prejudicial process now over, the Club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity. 

This is deflection reminiscent of Trump at his petulant best, blaming the personnel and the process, and avoiding the fats that the case turns on.  It's important that decisions are made in the right way, but it's more important that the right decisions are, eventually reached.  So, while City may be aggrieved at the way in which the outcome was reached (and they should be given every opportunity to appeal against it), more important is the set of facts that lead to the decision.  

It seems like they're not questioning any of the facts of the case.  
    No it doesn't.

"comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position”.
  • Chizz said:
    Statement from Manchester City: 

Manchester City is disappointed but not surprised by today’s announcement by the UEFA Adjudicatory Chamber. The Club has always anticipated the ultimate need to seek out an independent body and process to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position.

In December 2018, the UEFA Chief Investigator publicly previewed the outcome and sanction he intended to be delivered to Manchester City, before any investigation had even begun. The subsequent flawed and consistently leaked UEFA process he oversaw has meant that there was little doubt in the result that he would deliver.  The Club has formally complained to the UEFA Disciplinary body, a complaint which was validated by a CAS ruling.  

Simply put, this is a case initiated by UEFA, prosecuted by UEFA and judged by UEFA. With this prejudicial process now over, the Club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity. 

This is deflection reminiscent of Trump at his petulant best, blaming the personnel and the process, and avoiding the fats that the case turns on.  It's important that decisions are made in the right way, but it's more important that the right decisions are, eventually reached.  So, while City may be aggrieved at the way in which the outcome was reached (and they should be given every opportunity to appeal against it), more important is the set of facts that lead to the decision.  

It seems like they're not questioning any of the facts of the case.  
    No it doesn't.

"comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position”.
    "Its position" seems to be in relation to the process, as opposed to the facts.  

What are the facts that City are disputing? 
  • I’d imagine City’s lawyers are pretty good!
    Exactly. They will get the best lawyers going and will threaten Uefa with God knows what if they don't get reinstated. And they have far deeper pockets than Uefa. 

This ban will never stick. 
    Well that makes City as bad as UEFA "scumbags" then, and we might as well forget about FFP.
    Not saying I agree with City’s approach for a moment, just saying what I think will happen. 

Simple fact is the club has deep pockets and can employ the very best lawyers who will tie UEFA up in knots for years. Then they can threaten to sue UEFA who will cave in as UEFA cannot afford the possible costs they would incur if they lost the case. 
  • Tahnoon el Charltoon said Man City was a model to emulate . So if the funds are unlimited it is very possible we’ll find ourselves in similar circumstances in years to come.
  • Prediction time...
    Ban suspended for a year while the appeal process takes place before the ban is ultimately dropped and replaced with a bigger fine.
    Yeah it wouldn't surprise me.

Question is, if City are guilty how on earth are PSG not in trouble too? TV money can't be great in the French league, yet they report very high revenue figures and spent 360m on 2 players.
  • hope the extra position doesn't get handed out, don't want spurs or chelsea to benefit from this
  • Prediction time...
    Ban suspended for a year while the appeal process takes place before the ban is ultimately dropped and replaced with a bigger fine.
    Pretty much spot on i would guess
  • Sponsored links:

• Be fun sorting things out if they win the League and FA Cups along with the Champions League. Good luck with that one... 
  • They’ve been punching well above their weight for too long - it’s good to see clubs being punished for trying to artificially get above their stations via dodgy finances and processes.
  • I have a suspicion that City won't be able to reduce this to a fine, they'll be banned for at least 1 year

Apart from anything else, City aren't actually one of the giant clubs, they don't have the European glamour of Real, Barcelona, Juventus, Man U or Liverpool, and don't have one of the "brand name" superstars of football in their team either. While they may play nice football and are managed by Pep, would global TV audiences suffer that much from their absence?
  • Not sad to see City getting done but if UEFA dont hammer PSG too then they're corrupt pricks 
  • Hope it leads to 'Pep' leaving at the end of the season! For no other reason than being sick and tired of every man and his dog referring to him as 'Pep', as if they all know him personally and he's their besty! 
  • I’d imagine City’s lawyers are pretty good!
    Exactly. They will get the best lawyers going and will threaten Uefa with God knows what if they don't get reinstated. And they have far deeper pockets than Uefa. 

Well that makes City as bad as UEFA "scumbags" then, and we might as well forget about FFP.
    This seems like its news to you?  FFP is a joke, the only people that get punished are those that mess up. Bournemouth, QPR, Wolves, Leicester etc etc yet Birmingham get a points deduction. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I’d imagine City’s lawyers are pretty good!

This seems like its news to you?  FFP is a joke, the only people that get punished are those that mess up. Bournemouth, QPR, Wolves, Leicester etc etc yet Birmingham get a points deduction. 
    Surely they will just bung FIFA and it will all be ok.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I’d imagine City’s lawyers are pretty good!

Surely they will just bung FIFA and it will all be ok.
    That's my take on it. City are being set up for a shake down.
  • Domestic points deduction please.
    50 points should be enough I reckon.
    No, can they be relegated back to League 1?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Clueless on all this, are clubs not allowed to be gifted larges sums of money via sponsorship or whatever else .
    As long as clubs aren’t loaded with debt , why shouldn’t someone be allowed to spunk their dough on their team ?
  • Is there a dislike of Man city?  Surely they are one of the most loyal and deserving fan bases having stuck by their side for decades and endured the likes of United dominating the 90s etc
  • Clueless on all this, are clubs not allowed to be gifted larges sums of money via sponsorship or whatever else .
    As long as clubs aren’t loaded with debt , why shouldn’t someone be allowed to spunk their dough on their team ?
    Me too.  Have no idea what it's all about really or the FFP stuff which seems very arbitrary as to which teams get sanctioned.
  • Once my sons have grown up I'm not sure I'll bother with football. It is good for my boys - gives them purpose and a way of seeing the country - but ultimately it is nothing like the game I followed growing up in the late 80s and 90s as a kid.

City are a classic example. They are a mid size club and always will be. They may have invested in Longsight or whatever Mancunian suburb it is, but ultimately they have bought the titles in recent years. They are an embarrassment to the the working class folk who went every week to the Kippax (their east terrace). 

• Prediction time...
    Money Talks, Money Talks. 
    Dirty cash I want you
    Dirty cash I need you more. 
    Because the old "super clubs" make so much money, through "approved methods" they don't want anyone breaking up thier monopoly. 
  • Don't worry, the hacks that run this sport will overturn it via some method. Or worst case scenario, reduce it to one year.
  • hope the extra position doesn't get handed out, don't want spurs or chelsea to benefit from this
    Why? If City have cheated, then they deserve to lose their CL spot.

Unless of course Palarse finish in 5th place.