Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manchester City banned from the Champions League for 2 seasons.

Comments

• Options
    You say it will never stick @StigThundercock but again AC Milan struck a deal with UEFA and CAS to serve a one year European Ban for breaking FFPP rules(so it could happen with City)
    What people forget though is that the year before, UEFA hit Milan with a 2 year ban from European football (same as they've done with City). Milan appealed to CAS and CAS reinstated them.
    Also Milan delayed any discussions about a deal until the end of the season. When they finished 5th and missed the Champions League by 1 point they were surprisingly quick to come to agreement with UEFA over a 1 year ban.

I'm not so sure they would have been so keen had they made the top 4.

I remember at the time that reports in Italy were Milan were preparing for a long legal battle if UEFA stopped them getting CL football. As it was, the players performances prevented them getting CL football anyway and there was an eagerness to take the ban and miss the Europa League campaign instead.
  • Options
    We do know that Man City will have legal experts looking at every technicality. Money will not be an issue there.
    Well, it depends how much and where they say they got it...
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    "I would argue that the money at the top end of the game has had a massive impact on the likes of Bury, because they can no longer be ran in a sustainable manner.  Steve Dale is a feckless idiot, but so many lower league clubs are running at eye watering losses.  The game sold out long ago and they are the collateral damage"

this is arrant nonsense
    Steve Dale and countless others have been feckless idiots, mortgaging clubs to the hilt, having clubs borrow money with no realistic possibility of ever paying it back, presumably fueled by some dream of promotion, a quick buck (hello spivs!) or riding all the way to the promised land of the PL and European football.  The fact that Man City, PSG, Chelsea in their time, have had much more ready cash to gamble on their short-term success is coincidental.  Abramovic's and City Football Group's budgets compelled nobody to spend anything, anywhere, ever.  Bury, Charlton and everybody else have to trade within their means, construct playing squads affordably.  There is no given right to just stay in this division, nor any right to avoid relegation simply by spending £Xhundred million on players' wages.
    The incidence of "smaller" clubs like: Blackpool under Ian Holloway getting to the prem; or Leicester City winning the title, is probably going to decline but it's still not impossible.  In the same way that clubs like Sunderland fall straight through the Championship into League 1 after relegation from the prem.  That wasn't cos of a lack of budget or cashflow, that was bad football decisions, bad luck, etc.  They're still in business, apparently, and currently in the shake up for promotion.
    Upper echelon clubs will need to continue to distribute funds down the pyramid, because without Charltons, Crewe Alexes, etc the flow of quality players will diminish but they are under no moral obligation to do so.
    Football's regulators should be taking a lead.  One example: tv coverage of the FA cup rounds should be allocated out to the lowest ranked clubs at each stage, not left for BBC, Sky, BT, whoever to cherry pick the fixtures.  Better yet both domestic cup competitions could be seeded in the early rounds: the lowest ranked sides could be guaranteed home ties.  Individually the sums for each match are not huge but £100,000 tv fee will sort out a tier 6 or 7's wages budget for half a season or more.  Quietly, there is some sympathy for the seeding idea among prem managers especially around the league cup, which none of them give a toss about.  But the PL, EFL & FA remain stony ground for such progressive thinking cos they only understand gross revenue and care not one jot for anything else.
  • Options
    not sure how true this is, still personally think they will get banned

It’s sounding like #ManCity will be completely exonerated by CAS over the UEFA allegations, from what I’m hearing - nothing confirmed yet, but we may find out tomorrow or Monday
  • Options
    Money talks Paulie, probably get away with paying a fine.

City were adamant they'd get away with it from the outset. Even yesterday Guardiola said "I'm so confident because I saw the arguments of the club that next season we will be there" 
  • Options
    There has actually been talk lately that the main reason UEFA made it a 2 year ban was because they expected negotiations throughout the appeal and believed both sides would settle on a 1 year ban. 
    Therefore not letting City get away with it but also no need for drawn out court cases potentially lasting years.

I’m sure when this story first broke I along with many others predicted a larger fine in place of any ban was the most likely outcome
  • Options
    not sure how true this is, still personally think they will get banned

It’s sounding like #ManCity will be completely exonerated by CAS over the UEFA allegations, from what I’m hearing - nothing confirmed yet, but we may find out tomorrow or Monday
    Ian Cheeseman is well connected at the club, however I haven’t heard anything from anyone connected to the club that the decision will go City’s way.
    Even UEFA, which normally leaks like a sieve have stayed quiet! The truth is at the moment nobody, aside from those intimately involved knows anything and those people are not leaking / briefing to the media, which in itself is unusual.
    For what its worth, I think there will be some sort of compromise, but who knows?
  • Options
    Result of the appeal will be announced at 9.30am tomorrow
  • Options
    City win their appeal and the ban is overturned
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I never!
  • Options
    MAN CITY BAN OVER TURNED

what a joke
  • Options
    City win their appeal and the ban is overturned
    Not surprised in the slightest
  • Options
    Wonderful news 
  • Options
    Will this allow Sheff Weds to get away with what they've done too?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    2 year ban and 30m euros fine reduced to..........just a 10m euros fine.
  • Options
    Disgraceful outcome. Can’t wait for non-league football to return so I can go back to not paying attention to this stuff. 
  • Options
    Who'd have thunk it.
  • Options
    Money talks in all walks of life chaps. Someone's received a little brown envelope me thinks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fine is nothing to do with FFP by the way, CAS have completely exonerated City. 10m fine is only because they failed to assist UEFA with their enquiries.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I’d imagine City’s lawyers are pretty good!
    Exactly. They will get the best lawyers going and will threaten Uefa with God knows what if they don't get reinstated. And they have far deeper pockets than Uefa. 

This ban will never stick. 
    Posted the above on page 1 of this thread.

It was obvious this ban would never be enforced. City are too rich and too powerful for UEFA to take them on.

But the decision just makes me fall out of love with football a bit more.  
  • Options
    Exactly. They will get the best lawyers going and will threaten Uefa with God knows what if they don't get reinstated. And they have far deeper pockets than Uefa. 

It was obvious this ban would never be enforced. City are too rich and too powerful for UEFA to take them on.

From their very opening statement after the initial ban verdict, City were adamant they'd done nothing wrong.

Would they have been so vocal about it, appealed and been so confident that it would get overturned, had they actually been guilty?
  • Options
    Can't say I'm surprised

Bad news for Leicester who seem to be sliding out of the top 4 spots
  • Options
    Makes football's governing bodies looks like a bunch of incompetent dicks. Which is about right
  • Options
    FFP is shit, it’s only there to protect the old elite
  • Options
    One will guess that Sheffield Wednesday will get away with it as well. If you have the money to challenge the sports authorities you can get away with any thing. If poor you are screwed.
  • Options
    I’m with Rothko 100% on this. A club should spend what it wants. Otherwise it’s the same old teams every season qualifying for the champions league. The only other way forward is a salary cap in which every team can’t exceed the set agreed team wages. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020

From their very opening statement after the initial ban verdict, City were adamant they'd done nothing wrong.

Would they have been so vocal about it, appealed and been so confident that it would get overturned, had they actually been guilty?
    Prisons are full of people who are adamant they have never done anything wrong and have fought their imprisonment all the way through the court system.