Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

August 2020 transfer window wish list.

13»

Comments

• Options
    We could start by signing Cullen and Lyle who were both stated as ESI priorities for January. 
    Great idea except they don't want to sign at the moment. 
  • Options
    I personally wish that Matt Southall's twitter a/c is not working.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Not sure how many people know about this but I've heard of a good alternative way which will have a similar sort of effect. 

So apparently you can choose to not follow people on twitter, so whatever they tweet will never show up on your timeline, and you never have to read it! Amazing really. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I have no more idea than the next guy whether ESI are minted or potless so I’ll approach the question on purely the basis of what I think we need to be a competitive side in the top ten of the championship. Whether the owners can finance that or not is another issue. 

Putting my hard hat on, and much as I like this current crop of players, if we are serious about being top end of the championship we need virtually a complete clear out. The only players from the current squad who I would keep next year with a promotion bid in mind would be Phillips, Sarr (just!), Lockyer (just!) Cullen, Doughty, Davison and Taylor. The rest fall into four categories:

1. Not up to the standard required: Purrington, Pearce, Oshilaja, JFC, Lapslie, Morgan, Smith, Davis, Aneke, Page, Matthews, Vennings, Dempsey. 

2. Possibly up to it on past showing but their ships will have sailed by next season:  Solly, Pratley, Hemed, McGeady. 
    3. Borderline keepers: Bonne,  Green, Oztumer. 
    4.. Too affected by injury to form a Proper judgement: Williams, Field, Leko (I know he’s no longer ours but I think we’d be interested). 
    I’ve probably missed out a few but I think the point is that for a serious go at the playoffs we need about 20 new players in the squad. I’m probably being harsh on some of the youngsters but from what I’ve seen Doughty and Davison are the two I’d keep and develop.  The rest look average at best. A fully fit Williams playing a guaranteed 30 games a season would be an obvious retainee but I think that’s whistling in the wind from what we’ve seen so far. 
  • Options
    I have no more idea than the next guy whether ESI are minted or potless so I’ll approach the question on purely the basis of what I think we need to be a competitive side in the top ten of the championship. Whether the owners can finance that or not is another issue. 

Putting my hard hat on, and much as I like this current crop of players, if we are serious about being top end of the championship we need virtually a complete clear out. The only players from the current squad who I would keep next year with a promotion bid in mind would be Phillips, Sarr (just!), Lockyer (just!) Cullen, Doughty, Davison and Taylor. The rest fall into four categories:

1. Not up to the standard required: Purrington, Pearce, Oshilaja, JFC, Lapslie, Morgan, Smith, Davis, Aneke, Page, Matthews, Vennings, Dempsey. 

2. Possibly up to it on past showing but their ships will have sailed by next season:  Solly, Pratley, Hemed, McGeady. 
    3. Borderline keepers: Bonne,  Green, Oztumer. 
    4.. Too affected by injury to form a Proper judgement: Williams, Field, Leko (I know he’s no longer ours but I think we’d be interested). 
    I’ve probably missed out a few but I think the point is that for a serious go at the playoffs we need about 20 new players in the squad. I’m probably being harsh on some of the youngsters but from what I’ve seen Doughty and Davison are the two I’d keep and develop.  The rest look average at best. A fully fit Williams playing a guaranteed 30 games a season would be an obvious retainee but I think that’s whistling in the wind from what we’ve seen so far. 
    harsh .. BUT realistic .. I'd take issue with a few of your opinions, later
  • Options
    I think Matthews is certainly good enough as a defender but like Purrington he doesn't offer enough going forward on a consistent basis.
  • Options
    Not sure how many people know about this but I've heard of a good alternative way which will have a similar sort of effect. 

So apparently you can choose to not follow people on twitter, so whatever they tweet will never show up on your timeline, and you never have to read it! Amazing really. 
    No shit sherlock!

It's all the divs that post snapshots of his inane tweets on here that I can do without.
  • Options
    I think Matthews is certainly good enough as a defender but like Purrington he doesn't offer enough going forward on a consistent basis.
    Agreed and it’s been the major flaw in our diamond formation. I still like the formation though and Gallagher and Williams really helped it work. 

Not sure what I would do next season, it depends on the centre midfielders you have. But two new full backs will be important if it’s a diamond. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Makes perfect sence. 
    Until we know what division we are in we won't know what players we need to retain. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ben Alnwick is on a free. Assuming Amos wont want a second year as backup we could do worse than get Ben in.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Only three players I would really want from any of the current sides in the relegation zone are:

Chey Dunkley (Wigan center-back) - dominant 6ft 3 centre-back who has scored 6 goals this season, including two against us back in September. Out of contract in the summer.

Alex Mowatt (Barnsley centre-midfielder) - one of Barnsley’s best players. Mowatt has 7 assists so far this season. A player who has always played up north, could he be tempted to move down south to the capital? Also out of contract in the summer.

Cauley Woodrow (Barnsley striker) - since his move to Barnsley last season, Woodrow has scored 29 in 58 league games. A record that’s practically identical to Taylor’s. At 25, another good season in The Championship would mean he would still have excellent resale value.
    Collins of Luton has 35 goals in 76 games since the start of last season. He's 29 but could be worth a look if Luton go down. 6ft 2 as well so passes the height test.

Also not sure why people are saying we have no money. The very fact we bid 1.5m + another 500k for Maddison tells us we do have some.
    We didn't bid that much outright though, the Peterborough chairman released a YouTube video discussing it. It was 500k in 3 installments with specific clauses. I would have to watch again before saying what but it didn't sound like a cash flex at all 
  • Options
    Transfers are often in instalments, why pay fully now when you can spread it across a year or so