Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Light fitting falls from East Stand roof

edited February 2020 in General Charlton
About mid-way through the second half today, one of the large metal lamp shades suddenly fell from the ceiling of the East Stand. It landed with a tremendous crash but fortunately it fell just about in the closed of section of the stand. I’m in ‘C’ Block but heard the crash from where we were sitting. People sitting nearby were asked to move further along, away from where this thing fell. If this had happened last week when this area was in use, then someone could’ve been at best, seriously injured, at worst killed by this large piece of metal falling on them.

Comments

• Options
    i was in block B, quite concerning tbh, especially given it was full last week, i'm trusting they'll check the rest of the lights, plus hope they put some sort of safety cable or attachment to the light that ensures it doesn't fall again like it did it today.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    did it have “PROPERTY OF STAPRIX NV” written on it?
    You’d hope so! It was taken away by a member of staff. Presumably this’ll be a Health & Safety Executive job. The other fittings will need to be checked and secured. No doubt HSE will want to see records of when these things were last checked, if they ever have been in recent times.
  • Options
    There were people doing maintenance at The Valley Last week  . There was a picture on Instagram showing them hanging from the roof of the stand . Probably just coincidence 
  • Options
    Isi is it big Tones responsibility, hope so, sacking offence in my book😜
  • Options
    i was in block B, quite concerning tbh, especially given it was full last week, i'm trusting they'll check the rest of the lights, plus hope they put some sort of safety cable or attachment to the light that ensures it doesn't fall again like it did it today.

Agreed. Secondary retention is a must with things like this in a public area. 
  • Options
    I was told it was the plastic fitting rather than the metal light but still concerning.
  • Options
    I was told it was the plastic fitting rather than the metal light but still concerning.
    It certainly sounded metallic when it hit the deck and it didn’t shatter as I’d thought a plastic fitting would but as another poster had said, whatever it was made from, had it fallen on someone it wouldn’t have done them any good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I sat in the West about 6 years ago and a light fitting / bulb fell from the roof and landed just by us. I dread to think the incident if one of these things landed on a person, the heat from it was incredible. 
  • Options
    I'll keep saying it, but the Valley needs a serious amount of TLC, and sorting stuff like this would be a start
  • Options
    I suppose the club can view itself as fortunate and an urgent check is going to be required before the next game.
  • Options
    Has anyone asked Matt on Twitter if he’s checked all the fixtures/fittings for safeties? Nobody will be making jokes if one of the rusty old PA speakers drops on somebody....
  • Options
    Definitely not plastic @Henry Irving
    it happened near us and I saw it falling and landing before coming to rest by the gate. It had a huge dent in it. Probably was not that heavy, maybe aluminium 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    shine166 said:
    This never happened under Roland
    Shame it didn't happen above him 
    Pretty sure Roland has never been in the east stand.
  • Options
    We are assured (previously) that there is an alternative audible PA system to use in emergencies. The inaudible system is the one in general use.
    Maybe there is an alternative lighting system to use after all the other lights fall on us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    I'll keep saying it, but the Valley needs a serious amount of TLC, and sorting stuff like this would be a start
    Well are ESI gonna pay for it or Roland ?? 
  • Options
    In Theatres lights have safety chains along with the usual brackets to prevent the whole light falling on audience members.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    This never happened under Roland
    Shame it didn't happen above him 
    That’s why he never came
  • Options
    Yes, priority for stuff like this. But there's also at least one toilet door in an east stand gents with no lock on, which can be no fun for anyone desperate enough to need a crap.
    And the taps are too powerful and at least one does not turn off. Shody and unnecessary.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Yes, priority for stuff like this. But there's also at least one toilet door in an east stand gents with no lock on, which can be no fun for anyone desperate enough to need a crap.
    And the taps are too powerful and at least one does not turn off. Shody and unnecessary.
    The whole place exudes an air of tired-ness and looks in desperate need of some money being spent on it. There are at least a dozen floodlights out in the array above the West Stand, presumably a similar number above the East. When (if) ESI take possession of the ground, then let’s hope we’ll see some improvements. Yesterday’s incident could have been nasty - serious injury, loss of life even - and it was pure luck that it didn’t. HSE will doubtless have something to say about it.
  • Options
    A week earlier and the outcome doesn't bear thinking about. That's the only positive.  
  • Options
    Tom_Hovi said:
    The whole place exudes an air of tired-ness and looks in desperate need of some money being spent on it. There are at least a dozen floodlights out in the array above the West Stand, presumably a similar number above the East. When (if) ESI take possession of the ground, then let’s hope we’ll see some improvements. Yesterday’s incident could have been nasty - serious injury, loss of life even - and it was pure luck that it didn’t. HSE will doubtless have something to say about it.
    The whole floodlight system needs replacing, it would need ripping out lock stock in the Premier League, but it’s one of a lot of things that make the place just look unloved 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Has all the pigeon shit been cleaned off the staircases at the rear of The West Stand, was absolutely disgusting last time I had the occasion to use one.
  • Options
    Was thinking yesterday that the microphone above the Covered End was swinging about a lot in the wind and isn't safety-chained and wouldn't pass inspection in a theatre. Southall out.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Rothko said:
    Tom_Hovi said:
    The whole floodlight system needs replacing, it would need ripping out lock stock in the Premier League, but it’s one of a lot of things that make the place just look unloved 
    Makes me hopping mad how it was, as you so rightly say, unloved.
    God what an absolute arsehole Duchatalet was.....never should have been allowed to come within a million miles of us or any other club come to that, the nightmare still lives on in so many ways.