Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Progressive Lenses. Anyone here wear them?

I've had my new progressive lenses glasses for two days now. I had decided to do as the optician said and stick with them for two weeks as it takes time to adjust, but at 6pm this evening (on the second day) I could stand them no longer. I had a headache and they were just tiring me out. I feel far better now five hours later.
The other thing is that I just feel like I have impaired vision wearing them. My wife says that I'll get used to them but why do I want to get used to being so visually impaired that I have to turn my head in situations where before I would look to the side with my eyes.

Does anyone here wear them?
Has anyone tried and given up?
Who has tried, got headaches, felt like I do now, but are now glad they stuck with them?

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Options
    Never heard of them bro. Then again, 5 years ago I didnt think I'd be wearing scleral lenses the size of a 5p piece in my eyes.
  • Options
    They are brothers to be fair ! 
  • Options
    I prefer populist lenses over the wooly progressives. 
  • Options
    Is this another term for varifocals? If so, yes they do take a bit of getting used to. I wore hard contact lenses for over 30 years and when my near sight went optician advised trying one lense for short sight in one eye and a lense for near sight in the other  Could not get on with that at all. Reluctantly now wearing glasses with varifocal lenses.  Took a few weeks to get used to, going down an escalator or stairs was awful at first.
    When I was young contact lenses were for vanity but now I miss the allround vision and having glasses slip down your nose and steam up.
    Ive got cataracts which will need dealing with in the next few years and am hoping that i'm suitable to have the lens that means you don't need glasses.

Good luck!

• Options
    Headaches and impaired vision. They don't sound very progressive!
  • Options
    Is this another term for varifocals? If so, yes they do take a bit of getting used to. I wore hard contact lenses for over 30 years and when my near sight went optician advised trying one lense for short sight in one eye and a lense for near sight in the other  Could not get on with that at all. Reluctantly now wearing glasses with varifocal lenses.  Took a few weeks to get used to, going down an escalator or stairs was awful at first.
    When I was young contact lenses were for vanity but now I miss the allround vision and having glasses slip down your nose and steam up.
    Ive got cataracts which will need dealing with in the next few years and am hoping that i'm suitable to have the lens that means you don't need glasses.

Good luck!

I thought cataracts was a song by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich but was told by my optician last week that I was showing signs of developing them.
    Also, after 10 years with glasses for reading I was told I now need glasses for distance as well and varifocals have been recommended.
    To be honest, in my opinion I have no problem with distance vision and I am minded to disregard the new prescription.
    The cynic in me thought that maybe he was overplaying the cataracts scare as a money making exercise.
    On reflection I now realise that isn't very likely.
    I didn't pursue the discussion regarding cataracts as perhaps I should have.
    Do they require surgery or is it done with lasers?

• Options
    Fortunately they have developed very slowly. Optician first noticed them about 15 years ago in one eye and now both eyes have them and its only recently they have started to bother me. They are very common.  Want to wait as long as possible to have them done mainly because techniques have improved so much in recent years and hopefully will continue to do so.  
  • Options

Good luck!

I thought cataracts was a song by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich but was told by my optician last week that I was showing signs of developing them.
    Also, after 10 years with glasses for reading I was told I now need glasses for distance as well and varifocals have been recommended.
    To be honest, in my opinion I have no problem with distance vision and I am minded to disregard the new prescription.
    The cynic in me thought that maybe he was overplaying the cataracts scare as a money making exercise.

I’ve been taking my mum to Moorfields for appointments re cataracts, definitely go for it if you need it, had about 4 appointments including the op, mum couldn’t make out people’s faces before the op, has made a big difference.

Just a tip, they are quieter on Saturdays and Mondays.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had to give up on varifocals. Left/righr very different quite strong longsight prescription with magnifying for reading just didn't work. Actual usable viewing area in lens was tiny.
  • Options
    Also can't get on with varifocals.  Should have taken up the optician's offer of replacing with 2 pairs (reading and distance) but just didn't wear them and on next prescription got 2 separate pairs.  The graduation between the two types of lenses was just too much to manage over a relatively small area - and I don't read by looking down, I read with things directly ahead of me, so was looking through the wrong part.

Having 2 pairs is a bit of a nuisance, however, I found the reading ones were a much 'lighter' prescription so I could get the thick plastic £60 lenses and they weren't too bad, meaning I have several pairs of reading glasses left in places where I might need to read & therefore they're readily to hand when needed!
  • Options
    Headaches and impaired vision. They don't sound very progressive!
    I dunno, the way my life's progressing it sounds about right

• Options
    Been using them for about 4 months , they are fine indoors , i use them for reading and TV, they also seem to be ok for driving at night but one thing is i cant wear them throughout the day , feels like im looking through a gold fish bowl .
  • Options
    Not sure about the glasses version, but tried progressive contacts a few years back and had the same issue with trying to look out the corner of my eye to focus.  Like @cherryorchard I also tried long/short in different eyes which was even worse.  In the end I bit the bullet and stuck with lenses for driving/telly/football and have a cheap pair of reading glasses perched on my head/nose almost permanently for work and even reading my phone :-(
  • Options
    I have had them for maybe 5 years now, and I guess I was lucky, took to them straight away. It's important the frames sit properly, if they start to work their way down a bit, that is irritating. Keeping them clean is also really important. 

I started with just reading glasses, then I noticed I couldn't properly focus on the dials of the car, and I have a slight compensation now for long distance too. 

Don't know what else to advise, it does rather seem hit and miss as to who gets on with them and who doesn't.
  • Options
    Lens replacements, best thing I’ve ever spent money on. 
  • Options
    I’ve just put a deposit down on Implantable Collumer Lenses. I wear glasses and contact lenses for distance but will soon need them for reading. I don’t like the thought of having vary focals or having two sets of glasses so I went for the ICL treatment. Basically an implantable contact lense is placed behind the natural lense via the cornea. They outlast human life and can be replaced or removed if required.
  • Options
    Senpai said:
    I’ve just put a deposit down on Implantable Collumer Lenses. I wear glasses and contact lenses for distance but will soon need them for reading. I don’t like the thought of having vary focals or having two sets of glasses so I went for the ICL treatment. Basically an implantable contact lense is placed behind the natural lense via the cornea. They outlast human life and can be replaced or removed if required.
    Yep, lens replacement surgery. ✅
  • Options
    Over the past 2 years I've had corneal grafts in both eyes. 

I think the buggers gave me ones from blind people as things are no better & forever going back & forth to hospital /opticians for one thing or another.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I started wearing varifocal glasses about 5 years ago and was worried that I would have problems adjusting. The optician recommended  buying the best grade of lens available, as it would take less time to adjust.  It didn't take long for me to adjust and I wouldn't be without them now.  It's great to be able to do everything without having to change glasses when changing from reading to normal viewing.  
  • Options
    I started wearing varifocal glasses about 5 years ago and was worried that I would have problems adjusting. The optician recommended  buying the best grade of lens available, as it would take less time to adjust.  It didn't take long for me to adjust and I wouldn't be without them now.  It's great to be able to do everything without having to change glasses when changing from reading to normal viewing.  
    Yes, I think that's very true, you have to go for the top of the range lenses to get the best result.  Having said that I have a back up pair that I got through Glasses Direct at a fraction of the prize along with a pair of prescription sunglasses and I have to say they are excellent.
  • Options
    Yes, I think that's very true, you have to go for the top of the range lenses to get the best result.  Having said that I have a back up pair that I got through Glasses Direct at a fraction of the prize along with a pair of prescription sunglasses and I have to say they are excellent.
    That's an interesting one. When I first needed them I got some advice on here, will see if I can find the thread. A guy in the business recommended Rodenstock, a brand I'd never heard of before, and they were my first. But I think equally important was my first prescription was a very thoroughly tested one from an optician (not a chain retailer).

But like you I also bought a couple of cheap pairs, in my case special deal from Asda. Coincidentally I started working with a Czech lens company called Omega Optix, now part of Essilor and the CEO is a Scottish guy. He told me quite a lot of insider stuff. The profit margins on both lenses and frames is simply outrageous, so "get what you pay for" comes with caveats. Omega are very good, typically supplying to retailers for their own brands, I'll try to ask him whom they currently supply in the UK. Ask a retailer who makes their lenses. Specsavers use (or was 3years or so ago) Pentax, which my mate said are so-so)

I got a pair from him recently which are photochromatic, they brand the lens G15, and they are excellent. Of course that's another downside. I have a pair of Wayfarers, and my beloved Oakley London 2012 cycling sunglasses, and cannot wear them any more.
  • Options

Good luck!

Sorry but are you saying that if you disregard the prescription for varifocals, you are more likely to develop cataracts!?
  • Options
    I have had them for maybe 5 years now, and I guess I was lucky, took to them straight away. It's important the frames sit properly, if they start to work their way down a bit, that is irritating. Keeping them clean is also really important. 

I started with just reading glasses, then I noticed I couldn't properly focus on the dials of the car, and I have a slight compensation now for long distance too. 

Don't know what else to advise, it does rather seem hit and miss as to who gets on with them and who doesn't.
    Interesting to note that you were long-sighted before going shortsighted. I've been shortsighted for over 30 years. The daft thing is that I still don't need to have glasses for reading - I just need to take them off whereas before I didn't. This is why I was recommended varifocals. They argued that it's best to get used to them before I really need them for reading but I now think that when the time comes I'd rather be switching pairs than living tunnel vision.

Thanks to all for the input. Interesting discussion.
  • Options

Good luck!

Sorry but are you saying that if you disregard the prescription for varifocals, you are more likely to develop cataracts!?
    That was certainly the implication I took from the optician.
    I'm toying with getting another eye test from a different optician and not mention I've just had them tested.
  • Options
    My wife tried them for 2 x weeks as the optician suggested, like you she gave up after a couple of days due to bad headaches etc. The deal was if she did not get on with them she could revert back to normal reading glasses which is what she has done at no extra cost. 
  • Options
    No. Charlton seem to get worse every time I see them.
  • Options

Good luck!

That was certainly the implication I took from the optician.
    I'm toying with getting another eye test from a different optician and not mention I've just had them tested.
    That is quite a revelation: refusal to wear varifocals = greater chance of developing cataracts. I shall have to ask about this.

Out of curiosity: how long do you have to wait for an eye test in the UK these days?