Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Progressive Lenses. Anyone here wear them?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Is this another term for varifocals? If so, yes they do take a bit of getting used to. I wore hard contact lenses for over 30 years and when my near sight went optician advised trying one lense for short sight in one eye and a lense for near sight in the other  Could not get on with that at all. Reluctantly now wearing glasses with varifocal lenses.  Took a few weeks to get used to, going down an escalator or stairs was awful at first.
    When I was young contact lenses were for vanity but now I miss the allround vision and having glasses slip down your nose and steam up.
    Ive got cataracts which will need dealing with in the next few years and am hoping that i'm suitable to have the lens that means you don't need glasses.

Good luck!

I thought cataracts was a song by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich but was told by my optician last week that I was showing signs of developing them.
    Also, after 10 years with glasses for reading I was told I now need glasses for distance as well and varifocals have been recommended.
    To be honest, in my opinion I have no problem with distance vision and I am minded to disregard the new prescription.
    The cynic in me thought that maybe he was overplaying the cataracts scare as a money making exercise.
    On reflection I now realise that isn't very likely.
    I didn't pursue the discussion regarding cataracts as perhaps I should have.
    Do they require surgery or is it done with lasers?

Sorry but are you saying that if you disregard the prescription for varifocals, you are more likely to develop cataracts!?
    That was certainly the implication I took from the optician.
    I'm toying with getting another eye test from a different optician and not mention I've just had them tested.
    That is quite a revelation: refusal to wear varifocals = greater chance of developing cataracts. I shall have to ask about this.

Out of curiosity: how long do you have to wait for an eye test in the UK these days? 
    To be honest mate, I think it must be a case of me wrongly conflating the bits of information he gave me, those being: -
    1. I am showing signs of developing cataracts, which will need to be treated if/when they develop
    2. I now need glasses for distance - having hitherto only needed glasses for reading.
    He suggested varifocals.

Logically 1 and 2 are separate issues, but at the time I was still digesting the news I might have cataracts when he went on to suggest I needed varifocals.

I booked my appointment online with Specsavers - you can choose a date and time a few days ahead.
  • Options
    I wear varifocal contact lenses. I started off being short sighted in my early twenties and couldnt get on with glasses so Ive worn contacts now for 40 years. I switched over to Varifocal contacts about 3 years ago as my eyesight had changed and they are a real compromise in my opinion. They take a while to get used to but I have to say they arent perfect for reading especially in low light conditions. Ive now actually got a pair of glasses with a prescription to wear with my contact lenses in for reading to ease the eye strain. In summary the contacts are perfect for distance, but pretty poor for reading.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Senpai said:
    I’ve just put a deposit down on Implantable Collumer Lenses. I wear glasses and contact lenses for distance but will soon need them for reading. I don’t like the thought of having vary focals or having two sets of glasses so I went for the ICL treatment. Basically an implantable contact lense is placed behind the natural lense via the cornea. They outlast human life and can be replaced or removed if required.
    Yep, lens replacement surgery. ✅
    No it’s not lens replacement surgery. They’re different procedures. Lens replacement removes the eyes natural lens and replacing it with a man made lense. I’m having ICL which involves keeping the eye’s natural lense and implanting a man made lens underneath.