Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Effing timewasting

2»

Comments

• Options
    1StevieG said:
    Sick to death of it. Even at home we seem to slow everything down even when we are winning in the 10th minute. 
    Against Barnsley we were clearly timewasting by the 60th minute. A negative mindset that says to the opposition "we're not trying to put this game out of sight, we're clinging on"
  • Options
    our time wasting, especially Phillips is beyond ridiculous
  • Options
    The stupid time-wasting, especially the dumb move by Lapo to kick the ball away after the ref had blown for a(nother soft) foul against us, allowed the ref to justify carry on playing beyond the announced four minutes (not that he needed much justification given the blue-and-white-striped shirt he seemed to have on).

After that, it was the usual failing of being unable to defend a free-kick (or corner) lumped into the box ... and that happens at any time of the match, not just the final minute.

The time-wasting might be annoying and frustrating but it's our inability to defend set-pieces that's the more criminal aspect of this and is more likely to contribute to a potential relegation.
  • Options
    I remember John Aldridge's Tranmere being the worst time wasters I had ever seen but I think we push them close. Phillips isnt even subtle when he does it.
  • Options
    Preston at home they were scandalous in their timewasting, but they were winning the game and looked accomplished at it, we just seem to invite pressure upon ourselves with it and like people have said we aren't the best at defending set pieces. 

I'm adamant that if we just played football for the 4 minutes of injury time last night, that we would have come away with a hard earned point that we would have been lucky to have. But the timewasting we participated in directly led to us conceding the goal
  • Options
    Need to stick em all in front of Tony Watt's timewasting video... That boys is how you waste time.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Preston at home they were scandalous in their timewasting, but they were winning the game and looked accomplished at it, we just seem to invite pressure upon ourselves with it and like people have said we aren't the best at defending set pieces. 

I'm adamant that if we just played football for the 4 minutes of injury time last night, that we would have come away with a hard earned point that we would have been lucky to have. But the timewasting we participated in directly led to us conceding the goal
    Totally agree with that last paragraph 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Preston against us home and away this season have been by far the best team I've seen at game management in the last few years

Not just with the time wasting and going down yet also how they kept the ball

Each time we played them this season their aim was to get the lead and then keep it, once that was achieved they'd go looking for further goals if possible but their aim turned from taking the lead to protecting it and keeping the ball away from us
  • Options
    Christ, this sounds like a thoroughly miserable evening! The time wasting just invites pressure in my view, and you know what happens when our defence is put under pressure...they usually fold. Very frustrating.
  • Options
    I don't get not-attacking from a free kick in a draw situation when there is just a minute left.  The benefits of scoring are taking two additional points to the one you are defending. The risk of conceding is that you lose the one point you think you've got.  What you are effectively saying is that there is twice as much chance of the opposition scoring within one minute despite the fact that you have possession. Given that they haven't scored in 90 minutes, that is incredibly unlikely unless, as the previous poster stated, you invite more pressure from them. The mathematics of playing it cagey just do not stack up. Dreadful decision making that flies in the face of reality.  Pearce should be absolutely fuming that the boss didn't let him go forward. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    I don't get not-attacking from a free kick in a draw situation when there is just a minute left.  The benefits of scoring are taking two additional points to the one you are defending. The risk of conceding is that you lose the one point you think you've got.  What you are effectively saying is that there is twice as much chance of the opposition scoring within one minute despite the fact that you have possession. Given that they haven't scored in 90 minutes, that is incredibly unlikely unless, as the previous poster stated, you invite more pressure from them. The mathematics of playing it cagey just do not stack up. Dreadful decision making that flies in the face of reality.  Pearce should be absolutely fuming that the boss didn't let him go forward. 
    I thought back to our win at Burton last season, Pearce getting the winner in the 88th minute...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46270555
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Sending Pearce up for the free kick might actually have been the better and smarter way of wasting time.

We were into the final minute so it may have been the last action of the match. At the very least, showing some attacking intent for the free kick (even if we didn't really mean it) would have forced Wednesday to bring their players back - they've been on a shocking run recently and in danger of being dragged into the relegation scrap so they'd have wanted all hands on deck in defence to make sure they didn't lose a point.

Even if (when) our free kick was dealt with - either by the 'keeper claiming the ball, defenders clearing it, or the ball sailing over everybody's heads and out for a goal kick, there surely wouldn't have been enough time (unless the ref was particularly crooked) to get down to the other end. You never know, we might even have scored ourselves!

Instead, by playing silly buggers in the corner we allowed the ref to add on some extra extra time ... and the rest is bollocks.