Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Top 5 favourite sitcoms

Comments

• Options
    To be honest I tried to pick the 5 I enjoyed the most at the time of their original broadcast.
    As some of them are 50+ years old I doubt I'd like them so much if I was watching them now with an older mans eyes.
    Maybe sit closer to the tv?
  • Options
    The Thick of It
    Peep Show
    IT Crowd
    Fawlty Towers
    Car Share
  • Options
    Only fools
    Whatever happened to the likely lads
    Porridge 
    Hancock's half hour 
    Fawlty towers 

Animation would be the Simpsons (first 12 or so series) 

• Options
    Very difficult and would change on a daily basis! Today:

Nighty Night
    Sally Forever
    Garth Marengis Dark Place
    Year of the Rabbit
    Snuff Box
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Blackadder.
    Steptoe and Son
    Dads Army
    Only Fools and Horses
    Father Ted
    Fawlty Towers

• Options
    Fools and horses 
    The Office 
    Peep Show
    Partridge 
    The Inbetweeners 
  • Options
    Phoenix Nights 
    Extras 
    Blackadder ( not the first series)
    The Thick of It 
    Alan Partridge 
    The first series was the best
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    We’ve definitely done this before as so many people forget how good Just Good Friends and Dear John were......
    Exactly, but especially Butterflies. Wendy Craig did probably the funniest monologues ever seen on TV.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Mine in no particular order:

This Country
    Detectorists
    Dad's Army
    Porridge
    Blackadder
    This Country is underrated,  one the funniest things thatvhas ever been on telly.

I think it's criminally underrated - the writing is superb and the characters are all well developed. It's a great observation of rural life for the young in modern Britain. Hard to choose a favourite character.
    The Vicar is a fantastic character, however the actress who plays Kerry is just boss.
    The actors playing Kurtan and Kerry are brother and sister in real life and also wrote it which perhaps explains why the dialogue is so good and the acting so natural. The vicar I agree is a great character.
    I think you're absolutely right about this. The master stroke though is making them cousins rather than siblings, it gives so much scope for that little bit of difference between them. 

The vicar is great, made all the better for me by the fact that he looks just like a guy I used to work with who was very nice but more than a bit nerdy.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    JamesSeed said:
    FFS The Office? Not a single vote for Monty Python or Men Behaving Badly or The Young Ones, Hancock, The Worker. Liked Derry Girls, Bilko, Fonz. Personally Steptoe, Young Offenders, Inbetweeners are up there but hard to narrow down to five. Comedy you consistently laughed at or ones that occasionally actually split your sides?
    Never saw Monty Python as a sitcom. It was more a sketch show wasn’t it?
    Lots of votes for the Young Ones and MBB, I think. 
    Sorry. Senior moment.  Shout then for Brittas Empire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nighty Night
    Sally Forever
    Year of the Rabbit
    Snuff Box
    Never heard of any of them!
  • Options
    Surprised at the lack of My Family from people although I suppose it is a top 5 and isnt one that automatically springs to mind, as I said in my list I think it was better before Nick left and is probably one of those series were the dragged it on to long
  • Options
    cafc375 said:
    Father Ted
    Vicar of Dibley
    The Royle Family 
    Only Fools and Horses
    Friday Night Dinner.

Spoke to Mrs cafc375 about this, Car Share has been mentioned, but I forgot about Two Doors Down. 
  • Options
    The king of queens 
    The good life
    Dinner ladies 
    Derek
    The wonder years
    As an extra...The Goldbergs 

• Options
    Big Bang theory
    fools and horses
    just good friends
    two and half men
    Gavin and Stacy  
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:
    Big Bang theory
    fools and horses
    just good friends
    two and half men
    Gavin and Stacy  
    Another programme that was good until someone left then went downhill, should have ended when Charlie left.

Even look at IMDB series 1-8 all episodes rated between 7-9, series 9-12 not one episode got above 7

Instead of sacking Charlie Sheen they should have just ended the programme 
  • Options
    Fawlty Towers
    Porridge
    M.A.S.H.
    Blackadder, especially the Elizabethan and WW1 series.
    The Young Ones

There were too many naff episodes of Dads Army to include it in my top five but it has some classics, especially "Don't tell him, Pike!".
  • Options
    I'm surprised how many people are saying The Young Ones. Is that from memory or have people watched it recently? I used to love it when I was young, but I saw one a little while ago, the University Challenge one, and thought it was dreadful. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I'm shocked Miranda hasn't made it onto more lists.
  • Options

Nighty Night
    Sally Forever
    Year of the Rabbit
    Snuff Box
    On another day, could you name five more I've never heard of?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    I'm surprised how many people are saying The Young Ones. Is that from memory or have people watched it recently? I used to love it when I was young, but I saw one a little while ago, the University Challenge one, and thought it was dreadful. 
    Ditto. When it came out I thought it was genius but it absolutely does not stand the test of time. 

Surprised nobody's mentioned Spaced which would be up there for me. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Stig said:
    Ditto. When it came out I thought it was genius but it absolutely does not stand the test of time. 

Surprised nobody's mentioned Spaced which would be up there for me. 
    I didn't do a list as I'd mostly be repeating what everybody else has said but I'd include Spaced.
  • Options
    One Foot In The Grave is a good shout.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Nighty Night
    Sally Forever
    Year of the Rabbit
    Snuff Box
    I'v heard of Nighty Night - Julia Davis wrote it and stars in it. None of the others though.
  • Options

Nighty Night
    Sally Forever
    Year of the Rabbit
    Snuff Box
    I'v heard of Nighty Night - Julia Davis wrote it and stars in it. None of the others though.
    Garth Marengis Dark Place is actually pretty good. Like a spoof of a really poor 80s tv show.
  • Options
    I'm shocked Miranda hasn't made it onto more lists.
    I'm hoping you're taking the piss. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Fawlty Towers
    Porridge
    M.A.S.H.
    Blackadder, especially the Elizabethan and WW1 series.
    The Young Ones

There were too many naff episodes of Dads Army to include it in my top five but it has some classics, especially "Don't tell him, Pike!".

Just seen Father Ted on someone's list.  Brilliant show, it would have to be in my top five.  I'd probably want to put Derry Girls in there, too, but I'd like another series before I make up my mind.

And just remembered Green Wing.  I can honestly say I have never laughed so much so consistently while watching the telly.

So I'm now on a top eight which I shall reduce to five

Fawlty Towers
    M.A.S.H.
    Blackadder
    Father Ted
    Green Wing

with Derry Girls on the subs' bench.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Parks and Recreation
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Camping
    Extras
    Flight of the Concords
    Never heard of any of ‘em?
    The three I've heard of are absolute crackers, so on that basis I'll be checking out Parks and Recreation and Camping.
    Parks and Rec is superb, but be warned - season 1 isn’t all that.
    It only starts getting really good when Adam Scott and Rob Lowe turn up near the end of season 2. It then becomes terrific.
    Thanks for that.  We tried watching S1 Ep1 and thought it was shit.  Will try again from where you suggest.
  • Options
    Some more for the subs bench:

Black Books
    Friday Night Dinner
    Lead Balloon
    Psychoville
    Saxondale
  • Options

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Seinfield

Arrested Development (up until end of series 3)

IT Crowd

Peep Show