Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wright or Weaver ?

edited July 2007 in General Charlton
definately Weaver for me.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, Large, neither are good enough.
  • Options
    Randolph
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Peakie_Rocket[/cite]Randolph

Not good enough for me, either. Sorry....
  • Options
    God your'e hard to please Weegie. Frankly I'm in general disappointed with fans reaction to our various signings. Most of us havn't even seen some of them play, Yassin and Samedo, but are prepared to say they are not good enough. Unfortunately we are now in the CCC and as a consequence have serious financial constraints. If we can sign Weaver on a free and then spend more on a decent midfielder then so be it. We need to give all these players, Weaver included, the chance to prove to us that they are good enough and deserve to wear the shirt. Forget what they have done elsewhere and judge them on their performances for us. At the end of the day that is all that matters.
  • Options
    Agree with your sentiments, Large. But I certainly have a right to be disappointed by a signing like Weaver - shows no appreciation of our past. Make me happy and tell me who the decent midfielder is...please.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Agree with your sentiments, Large. But I certainly have a right to be disappointed by a signing like Weaver - shows no appreciation of our past. Make me happy and tell me who the decent midfielder is...please.

Alex Rae!!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yep, sounds about right.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Agree with your sentiments, Large. But I certainly have a right to be disappointed by a signing like Weaver - shows no appreciation of our past. Make me happy and tell me who the decent midfielder is...please.

Come on Weegie, most of us hated Thatcher before he joined us. Yes there's previous with Weaver. Yes he has had some piss poor performances but he was very young and inexperienced when most of his bad games were played. He wouldn't be my first pick (neither would Wright) but he's a decent keeper and if he plays and puts some performances in then we'll all be singing nice songs about him.

Gandolf is very inexperienced and ain't the answer either in my opinion.
  • Options
    Weaver?? Sorry, I will take a lot of convincing, however 'young' he is.
  • Options
    If Weaver starts off with a couple of blinders and saves a pen against Palace then all that other nonsense will seem like ancient history. OK, he acted like a bit of a prat but that was nearly TEN YEARS AGO! Anyone who holds that against him once he pulls on a Charlton shirt needs to take a long hard look at themselves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry but not the signings that will take us back up....we've gone form Darren Bent to Todorov FFS....Championship mid table mediocrity for us I'm afraid !!!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite] - shows no appreciation of our past. .[/quote]

Managers and players rarely see these things the way some fans do. The local derbies, the heroes and the pantomine hates figures etc etc don't mean the same to them because either they weren't at the club at the time or just see it as part and parcel of the game.

All that matters is "Is he any good?" He's proved that he can play at Prem level but we also know he made so terrible errors, especially when playing against us.

If nothing else Weaver has shown that the stick he got, which he joked along with last time, isn't an issue for him.

Did I have a small groan when I heard he'd signed. Yes, I did but I'll judge him like every other Charlton player by what he does on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Seconded, we HAVE to get behind pards and all the players 100%, even when things may be shaky.
  • Options
    I'd rather have seen us sign Buffon or Casillas or Carson. Reality is we are Charlton, we are playing in the second tier of English football, we have nowhere near as much money as we have had for the last eight seasons.

Weaver may be a twat, but he is now our twat. Same as Thatcher. I'm sure he will at some point drop a big hairy bollock but let's get behind the guy now he's signed for us.

I was one of the loudest winder-uppers of him whenever he played against us, and will back him now he wears our colours.

As for Todorov, his record speaks for itself as we've only signed him on a one year deal we can't really lose.

I think a few of us need to take a reality check
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Weaver may be a twat, but he is now our twat.

LOL, that made me laugh !

Wasn't Weaver more pantomine villain that actual villain ??

Don't really care about the past stuff, it was all a bit of banter and funny at that.

I'm more importantly unsure whether he is good enough.
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the more I think the grief we gave him was born more out of wanting to have a hate figure with a lack of local rivals at the time and a lack of other players who had pissed us off.

Pantomime dame maybe, and also responsible for one of the best laughs I had last year during an otherwise miserable year!!

Weaver, you're a c***. Weaver, Weaver you're a c***!!

I can see him becomming a cult anti-hero!!
  • Options
    Spot on Bart.

We used to give JFH stick, Di Canio stick etc etc..

Weaver, in my opinion is a panic signing. Almost as if we have gone down the list of Bosmans and gone "look a keeper, better sign him".

Sorry for negativity chaps, just dont like Nicky Weaver very much.
  • Options
    Captain Hook would be a better signing than either of those 2 muppets (Wright and Weaver).
  • Options
    After my inital shock at Weaver signing, I've soften a bit, especially after talking to a couple of Man City season ticket holders, who said Weaver played well last season, and was unlucky to be drop for Isakson.

He's a decent keeper, no Scott Carson, but no mug, rather him then Pob who I've always thought was a bit flaky
  • Options
    Weaver, in my opinion is a panic signing. Almost as if we have gone down the list of Bosmans and gone "look a keeper, better sign him".

It looks as though unless we can get Carson or a decent keeper with first team experience that Randolph will start the season, behind him we need cover as Eliott isn't experienced enough but who realistically is out there? That people here are discussing Richard Wright as an alternative doesn't say much, Weaver has good first team experience, is cheap and will do a job if and when called upon. Furthermore he's expendable, if Carson or a decent keeper does become available or if he doesn't work out then as a Bosman nothing much will have been lost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    30 games in the PL last season means he can't be that bad keeper. Trust Pards and judge him in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    You have to give him a chance, guys. If he wants to play for us and gives 100%, then why would we be so small minded to give him grief?

Everyone was up in arms when Ben Thatcher signed, but we now accept him.

We've get to let past history go - in anycase, he took our abuse in good spirit.

He may prove to be a fantastic signing. Trust in Pards....!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite] Everyone was up in arms when Ben Thatcher signed, but we now accept him.

I still hate Thatcher .....
  • Options
    If Kins hasn't already packed his kit for Colchester, he might now. Now I've never been terribly fond of our chubby new No.1(?), but he's always been a good shot-stopper. Does anyone remember much about his cross-handling or kicking though? Reckon Carson's kicking last season was exceptional, and gave us a genuine counter-attack option. If he plays at Welling it'll be interesting to see how he responds to the inevitable "welcome". If he laughs it off and comes onside, good luck to him - surely he's good enough for the CCC
  • Options
    Weaver will be given the No 1 slot so you better get used to that guys. There is no way he would have agreed to come here unless he was given that assurance, at least for the start of the season.
  • Options
    We have signed a 28 year-old Premiership quality keeper on a free transfer whose only real fault was a bit of arrogance NEARLY TEN YEARS AGO and still people whinge.

We are in the Championship with a massively reduced budget so we are damned lucky to get a player of that quality to join us.

Who would they rather we sign, John Burridge? Peter Shilton? Get Bob Bolder back?

Weaver has already played in this division and been very successful and I am very confident he will prove to be an inspired signing.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite] Everyone was up in arms when Ben Thatcher signed, but we now accept him.
    quote]

I still hate Thatcher .....[/quote]

You surprise me...

He's done ok since he came in, although after the injury he looked to be a bit hampered, in the CCC he'll do ok and adds some serious experience to our back four, there are only so many promising young players you can play in defence at any one time. For the record who would you prefer that Pards brings in at left-back and for around the £500k he cost (or less)?

Besides it's about time we had a player or two with attitude in our side, as long as Thatcher plays within the law I won't mind the odd booking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]We have signed a 28 year-old Premiership quality keeper on a free transfer whose only real fault was a bit of arrogance NEARLY TEN YEARS AGO and still people whinge.

We are in the Championship with a massively reduced budget so we are damned lucky to get a player of that quality to join us.

Who would they rather we sign, John Burridge? Peter Shilton? Get Bob Bolder back?

Weaver has already played in this division and been very successful and I am very confident he will prove to be an inspired signing.

Well said
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ditto...

Reading the report in the MEN Weaver was offered a contract by three other Premiership sides, I dare say these were likely to be those nearer the bottom of the division rather than the top and that he would likely be only a second/third option at those clubs but we could do a lot worse, we don't have bucketloads of money to spend but we can offer players who are going to be displaced by internationals a regular starting role and there'll be some who will prefer that to sitting on the bench. Best of all he's free.
  • Options
    i also think he will benefit from the fact that if he starts No 1, he won't be looking over his shoulder too much. He doesn't seem to have had a consistent run for a very long time, essential for a keeper. If he gets that, he may really come on.