Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Evolution of the Charlton programme

Comments

• Options
    Another holy grail is the Billy Cotton special Charlton version of RRR.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Henry knows that I can't resist a challenge so, since his earlier posting ("Something for anyone currently with time on their hands to search for"), I have found some contact details for one of George Laver's descendants.  It struck me that the official photographer of the day might be a good place to start.

I'm waiting to hear from the descendant but, in one of his online postings, he mentions that he has a lot of family photographs going back to 1908, so there is a chance that they may also have some of George's sporting pictures.

It's a long shot, I know, but more news, if any, later.
    Excellent work @Dave Rudd

• Options
    Charlton played in black and blue stripes when they moved to The Mount, so it’s odd they printed the programme on red stock.
  • Options
    Holy Grails for me

A photo of the team taken at Catford.

Board minutes from before 1921

Any shirt older than 1950

The yellow Woolwich away shirt.

Any home programme earlier than 25 December 1919

A 2019 winners medal and "we're going up" banner.

More storage space and our own entrance at street level.

Photo of Arthur Bryan's fish shop

A 1950s enamel Three Robins badge.

The letter handed to Matt Southall last Thursday.

@killerjerrylee @charltonnick @cafc999 @SE7toSG3 anyone What would yours be?
    Any shirt pre 1988 (I know we have a few but we still have a few missing)

• Options
    From Colin Cameron's Home & Away , re 1

• Options
    The only mention in the board minutes following the Arsenal game in 1936 was this

• Options
    Charlton played in black and blue stripes when they moved to The Mount, so it’s odd they printed the programme on red stock.
    Blimey, you've got a good memory!
  • Options

Dave Rudd said:
    Henry knows that I can't resist a challenge so, since his earlier posting ("Something for anyone currently with time on their hands to search for"), I have found some contact details for one of George Laver's descendants.  It struck me that the official photographer of the day might be a good place to start.

I'm waiting to hear from the descendant but, in one of his online postings, he mentions that he has a lot of family photographs going back to 1908, so there is a chance that they may also have some of George's sporting pictures.

It's a long shot, I know, but more news, if any, later.

I hope something comes of that, as long as George wasn't the first Charlton fan to boycott for moving South of the A205 :-)

It was about ten years ago or more that Richard Redden said somewhere that no photos of CAFC at Catford had been found, it surprised me then and nothing appears to have come to light since. Quite rightly, for me, the Holy Grail of Charlton memorabilia.

There's footage of the 1936 Arsenal game which seems to go on and offline at regular intervals; having seen that, if anyone really thinks having a working PA could have packed more people in then Selhurst really is a 20 minute bus ride away......

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Part two

Having moved to the Valley in 1919 and turned professional in 1920 we joined the Football League in 1921.

This is our first ever Football League programme from our 1 - 0 win at the Valley v Exeter

We're now a Ltd company and we're selling advertising.

The price has doubled from 1p to 2p but you do get more pages.
    (Great idea Henry)

Apologies if this is slightly off piste, as it doesn't include any programme info, but I thought some might be interested in this little tale from Jimmy Seed's autobiography, about a rainy day at the Valley in 1920:

'I recall how dreary The Valley was in 1920 when I played there for the first time in the Spurs reserve team against Charlton in a friendly game. I was Cup-tied, having already played in the F.A. Cup for Mid-Rhondda before signing for Spurs and, therefore, couldn't turn out for the first team in the fourth round of the Cup against Aston Villa in the famous game in which Tommy Clay put the ball into his own goal and the Hotspurs lost 0-1. Villa went on to win the Cup.
    After a cold, wet and thoroughly miserable day [the match was abandoned half way through because of the weather-ed] we were unable to take a bath or shower, but had to stroll to a nearby hut so that we could change back into our dry clothes. [According to a different source, the players of both sides then went to a local pub (the Royal Oak?) where Jimmy entertained them on the piano].
    Charlton Athletic became a professional club in 1920 and joined the Southern League in the 1920-1 season, and the following year were elected with nine other clubs to the then one-year-old Third Division
    (Southern Section). It meant League soccer had returned to the district more than seven years after Arsenal had taken the big decision to move from Plumstead to Highbury (1913), a move which proved a tremendous success.
    Naturally, the directors were delighted to have established League football at The Valley, but they obviously didn't know what they were letting themselves in for. Money was splashed around freely in anticipation of the boom that was expected, and in 1921 work on a stand, dressing-rooms and terracing was under-taken at an estimated cost of £14,000. The club didn't have the cash available, of course, but they entered a contract for £14,000 with Messrs Humphreys Ltd.
    Charlton had bad luck from the start. The contractors were unable to build the stands on schedule, and it was not until well into 1922 that the work was finished. This obviously did not help to increase the number of supporters, and early in I922 Charlton Athletic were losing around £100 a week. Yet they had a wonderful run in the Cup in the 1922-3 season when they beat three First Division clubs - Manchester City, Preston North End and West Bromwich Albion - before being knocked out in the fourth round by Bolton Wanderers.'

[From The Jimmy Seed Story 1957]
    Going to say nothing changes, with bad luck and money problems.Then I read that we had a cup run.....

Nice extract. enjoyed reading that
  • Options
    I once saw a book/article detailing the greatest F.A. Cup giant killing runs in each decade and for the 1920's it was Charlton.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Leather grindery?
    Ooer Matron, shiny shiny, shiny boots of leather.
    Grind.
    (Not for me I'm a vegetarian btw).
    Are you a vegetarian? I don’t think you’ve mentioned that before 😉
  • Options
    Part 5 1925

The colour has gone and the price has dropped back to 1d (one old penny).

The heading is rather plain but we are back at the Valley again.

And again we're short of money and asking fans to invest in a debenture scheme.

We kicked off at 2.30pm because Valley floodlights are 35 years away andthe game needed to finish before it was too dark to see.

• Options
    i) An original Ikey Bryan fish on a stick
    ii) Sam Bartram's big baggy jumper
    iii) £30k worth of rubber from Bangkok
    iv) Matt Southall in a set of stocks
    v) Some sort of documentary evidence that Cory Gibbs was a real living person
  • Options
    A year later we were off to Catford
    I blame Southall!😾
  • Options
    Part 5 1925

The colour has gone and the price has dropped back to 1d (one old penny).

The heading is rather plain but we are back at the Valley again.

And again we're short of money and asking fans to invest in a debenture scheme.

We kicked off at 2.30pm because Valley floodlights are 35 years away andthe game needed to finish before it was too dark to see.

The debenture scheme was launched to try to raise funds to help pay for the new stand which cost £14k. The club only paid the deposit of £1,000 to Humphreys the builders to start work on the stand. When they could not afford to pay the further instalments , Humphreys the builders became more involved in the running of the club.
  • Options
    Does anybody have the Exeter 1921 to sell?

Please PM me anybody who has a copy.
  • Options
    Part 7

It's the end of the 1928/9 and 14,071 turn up for this top of table four pointer London Derby.

The programme looks almost the same as in 1925 apart from the return of the bright red cover but there is a lucky number on the front.

The front advert is for a national Sunday newspaper.

This game ended 0 - 0 which turned out to be a vital point.

The top six were separated by only two points at the end of the season.  Charlton claimed the only promotion spot on goal average ahead of Crystal Palace. It was our first promotion as a league club. It would take the Glaziers another 30 years to get in the 2nd tier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I once saw a book/article detailing the greatest F.A. Cup giant killing runs in each decade and for the 1920's it was Charlton.
    And worth remembering that the FA Cup was the big deal back in the day. Far more glamorous and sought after than the league title.
  • Options
    The Giant Killers by Bryon Butler is the book I think @seth plum is thinking of.

The museum is starting to gather as much information and as many artefacts as possible related to that team and cup run although we were outbid for a Bolton programme (£125 didn't win it) recently.

@SE7toSG3 covered the cup run in his recent presentation for "A night at the Museum"
  • Options
    Part 9: 

At first glance this looks the same as the 1933 Chesterfield programme but much has changed since then not just the switch of opponent's name and official programme.

Jimmy Seed has lead the club to two successive promotions and runners up in division one.

Charlton are attracting huge crowds at the Valley and we are one of biggest clubs in the land.

But then Germany invades Poland.

Football continues during WW2 but paper rationing means programmes have fewer pages and lack colour. The price drop to one penny reflects this.

War time programmes are rare and much sort after by collectors.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    3 Days too late!

• Options
    Addickted said:

There is no known photograph of Charlton playing at Catford. Something for anyone currently with time on their hands to search for.

Have you tried Geo A Laver of 2 Bensham Manor Road or F T Williams of 710 Woolwich Road?
    As it happens, smartarse, yes we have. See Dave Rudd's reply above.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Part 10:

The war continues but while for the allies the tide had turned at Stalingrad and victory in North Africa had led to the invasion of Italy in September 1943, the Charlton programme cover has gone backwards.

The mishmash of fonts has returned and we are now given a list of directors. 

The leagues have been regionalised hence we are playing Brighton who were a division 3 South club pre and post war.

There is no image but we do have some chatty club notes.

Notice that we are letting Millwall use the Valley after the Luftwaffe bombed the Den.  

• Options
    Part 11: 1946

Our most successful season ever.

Or at least that's what the programme notes said.

We had just lost the 1946 cup final and we're still in a three horse race for the Football League south title.

Ultimately, despite winning this game 1 - 0 in front of 47,000, we'd finish third, one point behind champions Birmingham City.  Derby County did for us again, beating us 3 - 1 at the Baseball ground in the midweek game mentioned in the notes.

As for the programme itself it had become even plainer bar a black and white advert for Oxo. The beef extract product is promoted as a drink rather than just as stock as it is usually used now.

• Options
    Love these. Shows that the traditional 3pm kick off isn't that traditional. Earlier pre-floodlight starts I get, but Chesterfield at home in May goes at 3.30 and Millwall on Nov 6th at 3.15, when it must have been getting dark at the end.
  • Options
    Love these. Shows that the traditional 3pm kick off isn't that traditional. Earlier pre-floodlight starts I get, but Chesterfield at home in May goes at 3.30 and Millwall on Nov 6th at 3.15, when it must have been getting dark at the end.
    That's to avoid seeing us lose.