Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Evolution of the Charlton programme

Comments

• Options
    My first season 😍

Finally convincing my Dad to take me after we won promotion. Iconic programme in my eyes and for the next 25 plus years I wouldn’t miss buying one. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Part 22:  1976  An almost identical cover to 1975 other than the picture (same all season) now features Colin Paddy Powell and there is a border around "Charlton".  The text box has gone from landscape to portrait.

This was a Friday night game, an attempt to boost crowds but only 9,710 saw Charlton run out 6 - 2 winners v FA Cup holders Southampton.

Andy Nelson's side finished 7th.  But for their poor away form (2 wins and 11 draws) they could have done far better.

• Options
    Great thread. Thanks.
  • Options
    Part 23:  We're now in 1978 and the programme has changed to a horrible box shape but has some funky 70s lettering.

The cover shows a by now rare sight, a packed, but not full, East Terrace. 30,706 saw the Addicks beat Spurs 4 - 1 in the game pictured. Les Berry towers over future Addick Don McAllister. Mike Flanagan, a former Spur who scored a hat-trick, looks on.

But only 6,511 saw this game v Burnley (a 3- 2 win) as Charlton flirted with relegation.  The decision to allow Lawrie Abrahams, Colin Powell and Flanagan to head off to the New England Teamen in April nearly proved disastrous with Charlton needing to avoid defeat against Orient on the last game of the season to stay up.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    It still gets me how they had the front to announce the crowd for the Tottenham game as 30k.

The lettering for Charlton made me remember the arcade game Pac Man.
  • Options
    Part 24: 1979 and still the portrait shape but with a cover that looks like it was designed on hallucinogenic drugs. A leaping Les Berry again features and the price is now 20p

This game was postponed but would have been the first home game after the infamous fight between the two Charlton strikers Hales and Flanagan in a FA Cup tie v Maidstone. Both players were sent off. Most copies of the programme were pulped, presumably because of comments made by manager Andy Nelson about the game.

My first season.
  • Options
    That is possibly the best programme cover I’ve ever seen! 

Haven’t bought a programme for a very long time, but had quite an impressive collection until the early 2000’s, think it may be in my loft. 
  • Options
    Part 24: 1979 and still the portrait shape but with a cover that looks like it was designed on hallucinogenic drugs. A leaping Les Berry again features and the price is now 20p

This game was postponed but would have been the first home game after the infamous fight between the two Charlton strikers Hales and Flanagan in a FA Cup tie v Maidstone. Both players were sent off. Most copies of the programme were pulped, presumably because of comments made by manager Andy Nelson about the game.

What did he say?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    the next published programme was surprisingly very quiet on the topic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    That is possibly the best programme cover I’ve ever seen! 

Haven’t bought a programme for a very long time, but had quite an impressive collection until the early 2000’s, think it may be in my loft. 
    Spare Exeter 1921 perhaps?
  • Options
    Part 13:  1955

A new decade and a new look programme cover.

The header now has a red background and white lettering with a black drop shadow.  It wasn't the reason that we used something similar on the Charlton railway bridge mural but it shows what a classic bit of design it is.

The price has risen to 3d and the cover is dominated by one advert.  A brand called "Red & White" is perfect marketing alignment although looking from 2020 promoting smoking does seem very strange.

No result from this game as it was postponed. This and opponents make it a very rare and very valuable programme.

Phillip Morris missed a trick. If they'd have waited 20 years, they could have got a picture of Killer having a fag and slightly amended the strap line to, "For the man who is Hales".
  • Options
    Part 19:  1969

Some design sense and, nearly, some on the field success return.

A bold, simple design with current badge, only very slightly changed in the 51 years since, on the cover although the price has doubled from 6d to 1/- (One shilling or 5p in today's money.)

But still no date on the cover.

This was a big promotion game and 32,768 turned up on 22 March 1969 to see Eddie Firmani's side, still much beloved by all Charlton fans old enough to remember them, draw 1 - 1.  Charlton had previously won a cup replay at Selhurst Park but ultimately Palace got their revenge for 30 years earlier when the Addicks had pipped the Glaziers to promotion on goal average.  This season Brian Clough's Derby and Palace would take the top two spots with Charlton in third when third was nothing.

I didn’t realise that badge design was that old. I presumed it was from the late 70s. When did Charlton start using it on their shirts?
    1964/65 was the first season where the shirts featured a sword, but it was a simpler design.  The club then had an on/off flirtation with the sword. It wasn't until 1980 that the current unbroken line of besworded shirts began. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Part 25: 1979   Rampant inflation means the programme is now 25p, a 25% increase in a year.

Still the "wrong" portrait shape but no fit inducing graphics, just a simple if a little bland cover with an action shot featuring Phil Walker. Not Charlton's first black player but, with Lawrie Abrahams, one of the first to make an impact at first team level.

This game was shown live on Danish TV due to the debuts of Danes Viggo Jacobson and, on the bench, Johnny Ostergaard but it was old warhorse Steve Gritt who scored the only goal of the game.

19,021, nearly three times the season average saw the win but it wasn't enough as Charlton finished rock bottom.
  • Options
    Part 25: 1979   Rampant inflation means the programme is now 25p, a 25% increase in a year.

Still the "wrong" portrait shape but no fit inducing graphics, just a simple if a little bland cover with an action shot featuring Phil Walker. Not Charlton's first black player but, with Lawrie Abrahams, one of the first to make an impact at first team level.

This game was shown live on Danish TV due to the debuts of Danes Viggo Jacobson and, on the bench, Johnny Ostergaard but it was old warhorse Steve Gritt who scored the only goal of the game.

19,021, nearly three times the season average saw the win but it wasn't enough as Charlton finished rock bottom.

I was at this and it was also my 9 year old sister's first game. At the end of the game she was running up and down the east terrace, hit her head on one of the barriers and knocked herself out (very briefly).
  • Options

think I got nicked at this one for having the temerity to fight back against West Ham fans in the CE. i prefer the style of this cover to later ones, but its not as groovy as that Cambridge one, that was a real classic
  • Options
    the next published programme was surprisingly very quiet on the topic.
    Andy Nelson has taken very great care to express his horror, fury and regret at the actions of two players, but is able to control his emotions to the extent that he deliberately and sensibly refuses to name them.  

Then his words are printed on a page just above their names and photos. 
  • Options
    Part 26: 1981

60 years on from the 2nd programme in this series Charlton again face Exeter City in a third division clash.

There has been another hike in the cost to 35p. The cover has an odd slant to it and a very badly realised badge.  Unusually, Derek Hales is having a laugh with a referee.

This promotion battle ended 1 - 0 to Charlton, Phil Walker getting a 66th minute winner.

The win set various records. It was our 28th win in all competitions that season (breaking the previous record set in 1935) .  The clean sheet also equalled another pre-war record of 16 league clean sheets. We would break this record v Millwall the next month.

Mike Bailey's well drilled side faded late on but still did enough to clinch third place and return to division two at the first attempt.  Charlton also had a rare cup run, reaching the 5th round where they lost 0-2 at Ipswich in front of 8,000 travelling fans who were packed into two pens behind the goal

• Options
    I know my Charlton programs and had hundreds of the buggers but the above is the only format that was not immediately familiar to me.  Christ knows what I was doing in 1981, I would of been 14 years old so it probably involved tying to clear up my acne with Cleenex and mums hand cream...
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    This is confession time for myself re this game. With the covered end closed for seat installation, I shouted out from the Jimmy Seed "We don't want no fucking seats" I got pulled by the old bill (despite @Addickted claiming I said bucket seats), and put in the pen by the South side entrance gate.

There were more Charlton than Exeter in the pen but Exeter were quite boisterous about how many fans they were taking to Spurs in the sixth round in a couple of weeks. A prominent Charlton lad told one guy that Spurs would give them a good kicking and promptly punched him. Amazingly I saw him knock a tooth right out and on to the floor in front of me.

We all cheered when the roar went up for Walkers goal. We were all released without charge. Fortunately the game was on match of the day so I saw the highlights later that evening. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Part 27:  1982  We have a "straight" design again but still with a jumble of photos.  Young star Paul Walsh features and for the first time the programme shows a sponsored shirt; FADS, a local DIY firm.  We also have a match sponsor.  Yet another price rise to 40p.

On the pitch our first season back in Division two was going well under manager Alan Mullery, who had "swapped" jobs with now Brighton boss Mike Bailey.  I think we certainly got the worse of that deal.

We won this game 5-2 but then lost 4 - 0 on the plastic pitch at Loftus Road and went on a slump, ending up 13th with just one win from the final 11 games.  Mullery left in the summer.

• Options
    Remember that Orient game simply because of Steve Gritt's goal that wrapped it up. 
  • Options
    Part 28: 1983

A bold one picture cover with some art deco style lettering used on the club name.  Another season and another price rise to 50p

The Marman match sponsor is a hint that we have new owners. After 50 years the Gliksten family have sold the club, but crucially not the ground, to fan Mark Huyler.

This game featured Huyler's "marquee" signing Allan Simonsen. The former European footballer of the year had signed from Barcelona and was a class above Division Chelsea. Unfortunately the Dane was also a class above division two Charlton both in ability and in their ability to pay his wages and transfer fee.

"Simmo" scored twice in this 5-2 win.  Charlton need a win over Bolton on the last game of the season to stay up (and relegate Bolton) but still finished 17th, one place and one point above the West Londoners. Only four points separated the bottom nine teams.

• Options
    Simmo was simply magic that day - in a different class to any other player on the pitch.One of my all time favourite players for us albeit he had such a limited time with us
  • Options

A bold one picture cover with some art deco style lettering used on the club name.  Another season and another price rise to 50p

The Marman match sponsor is a hint that we have new owners. After 50 years the Gliksten family have sold the club, but crucially not the ground, to fan Mark Huyler.

This game featured Huyler's "marquee" signing Allan Simonsen. The former European footballer of the year had signed from Barcelona and was a class above Division Chelsea. Unfortunately the Dane was also a class above division two Charlton both in ability and in their ability to pay his wages and transfer fee.

"Simmo" scored twice in this 5-2 win.  Charlton need a win over Bolton on the last game of the season to stay up (and relegate Bolton) but still finished 17th, one place and one point above the West Londoners. Only four points separated the bottom nine teams.

This was the time I was really into collecting autographs. I’ve loads of signed progs from this season, the best being the Rotherham programme with Simmo on the front that he signed (one of Killer too). We also used to get the away team’s and have the Wolves squad on the back of the game that ended 3 3.
  • Options

Would love to see the goals again, I was in the Covered End and from there, Simonsen appeared to nochonantly pass the ball into the corners of the net in slow motion.
  • Options
    Conversation in the Charlton Athletic Marketing Communications Department (sic), February 1982.

"hey everyone, what picture can we put on the front cover of the programme next week?"

"Here's one of Killer celebrating his goal last week with former European footballer of the year Alan Simonsen"

"no, no no, here's the one we should use - it shows how shit the pitch was against Carslisle, and also how empty the covered end was. Also, the old St John's ambulance man deserves a bit of recognition for turning up every week"

"Its a difficult one - Killer and Simmo celebrating or St Johns ambulance man v Carlisle - now, let me think..."
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Part 29: 1984

Irregular shapes, new lettering but still a one big picture cover featuring Mike Flanagan, back at the club, in a lovely Osca pinstripe shirt used by Hummel to inspire the current home shirt.

On the pitch we lost this game 4- 2 in front of a "crowd" of only 3,786.

• Options
    Part 26: 1981

60 years on from the 2nd programme in this series Charlton again face Exeter City in a third division clash.

There has been another hike in the cost to 35p. The cover has an odd slant to it and a very badly realised badge.  Unusually, Derek Hales is having a laugh with a referee.

This promotion battle ended 1 - 0 to Charlton, Phil Walker getting a 66th minute winner.

The win set various records. It was our 28th win in all competitions that season (breaking the previous record set in 1935) .  The clean sheet also equalled another pre-war record of 16 league clean sheets. We would break this record v Millwall the next month.

Mike Bailey's well drilled side faded late on but still did enough to clinch third place and return to division two at the first attempt.  Charlton also had a rare cup run, reaching the 5th round where they lost 0-2 at Ipswich in front of 8,000 travelling fans who were packed into two pens behind the goal

Great season. 
  • Options
    Great thread. Thanks @Henry Irving