Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What percentage of the 92 clubs...

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    When you look at the size of the English pyramid beyond the 91 - it’s absolutely enormous, and I fear that non-League barring a few National League clubs is going to be wiped out completely through this.

As for the 91....clubs like Macclesfield who are seemingly on the brink anyway surely cannot survive. I’m sure there are other clubs out there who will find themselves in a similar outcome.

I don’t think we’ll see a world where 10-15k+ can just go to a football game once this is all said and done. Maybe one day in years to come, but I think at the very least there will be heavy restrictions on how many people can attend (and who) for the first year or so.
    In a funny way the smaller clubs may be able to survive - often they have lower overheads, don't run at a loss, and pay the players a sensible amount.  It's only when you get into the FL that owners chase bigger dreams and lose money hand over fist! The higher up the pyramid, the worse they get! If all clubs had to stay within a salary cap (say 60% of turnover?) then there is no reason why football cannot carry on; yes, it will be different, but at least it will still be football!
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    A few ideas below

To deal with the crowd issue, games may be available on line at a slightly lower cost. This will also reduce match day costs for stewards/police etc but this will only offset loss of match day revenue.

conference to become regional?

league 2 to be part time?

salary caps for players?

more evenly distributed tv money?

possible mergers or ground sharing lower down the football pyramid. Bolton, Bury and Rochdale all close together geographically?

premier teams controlling lower league teams, using them as feeder clubs?

review of points deduction for entering into administration for covid reasons?

one thing is certain, the next time Dillon Phillips picks up the ball from the back of the net following a free header from a set piece, the football world will be a very different place

Bury dont play football these days and Rochdale is nowhere near Bolton. Be like us groundsharing with Watford.

The FA run the Premier League, they'll only ever agree to give sprinkles to the EFL.

I think a wage cap in the EFL might work.
    Bolton to Rochdale is 12 miles
     charlton to Watford is 40 miles through London or 60 miles on the m25.
    charlton to c*****l p****e is 9.5 miles

im not trying to argue or gain brownie points, just making a working day during a pandemic go a bit quicker.
    Charlton isn't 40 miles from Watford, it's closer to 25. Also Bolton is 16 miles from Roledale. They are both miles apart.

Can we have an argument instead? Will at least give us something both to do.
    I’ve crumbled already and can’t think of anything to say. This must be the worst argument in history
    No it isn’t 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    cafctom said:
    When you look at the size of the English pyramid beyond the 91 - it’s absolutely enormous, and I fear that non-League barring a few National League clubs is going to be wiped out completely through this.

As for the 91....clubs like Macclesfield who are seemingly on the brink anyway surely cannot survive. I’m sure there are other clubs out there who will find themselves in a similar outcome.

I don’t think we’ll see a world where 10-15k+ can just go to a football game once this is all said and done. Maybe one day in years to come, but I think at the very least there will be heavy restrictions on how many people can attend (and who) for the first year or so.
    In a funny way the smaller clubs may be able to survive - often they have lower overheads, don't run at a loss, and pay the players a sensible amount.  It's only when you get into the FL that owners chase bigger dreams and lose money hand over fist! The higher up the pyramid, the worse they get! If all clubs had to stay within a salary cap (say 60% of turnover?) then there is no reason why football cannot carry on; yes, it will be different, but at least it will still be football!
    Pedro45 said:
    cafctom said:

good post ..problem is that very few 'club owners' are that sensible, they will all want a bit of glory, a bit of bling for the trophy room or to display on the shelf above the club bar, even if the shield/cup represents success in the Dungeness Boys Brigade League Division 6 ((:>)
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Not sure how I post tweets on here, but Andy Holt has been explaining how finances work for Accrington. If someone can post his thread on here it would be 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    It's a problem, obviously.  Not just for football clubs, but for many businesses globally.  Until we know how long this is going to go on, it's tough to call what the impact will be.  

Scenario 1 - Season restarts in July and 19/20 is played to a finish and then season 20/21 follows: Most clubs will survive, helped by government and league backing.
    Scenario 2 - 19/20 is scrapped and 20/21 follows starting late: Removal of TV money impacts greatly, and some clubs go under. Others work with smaller salary budget and transfer fund in order to survive.
    Scenario 3 - No games until after Xmas: complete re-arrangement of teams within leagues, with some choosing to drop down divisions and play within their new budget. Others go bust. Players kick up a fuss. Budget caps in lower leagues. Football recovers, and players are paid more sensibly and we all live happily even after.
    Scenario 1 is far too simplistic.
  • Options
    A few ideas below

To deal with the crowd issue, games may be available on line at a slightly lower cost. This will also reduce match day costs for stewards/police etc but this will only offset loss of match day revenue.

salary caps for players?

possible mergers or ground sharing lower down the football pyramid. Bolton, Bury and Rochdale all close together geographically?

one thing is certain, the next time Dillon Phillips picks up the ball from the back of the net following a free header from a set piece, the football world will be a very different place

No way in hell will this result in rivals merging, would be like us merging with Millwall or Palace. I'd rather go bust.
  • Options
    Think any club that is formed from a merger will be hated by both sets of fans.
  • Options
    I think maybe a lot of people are realising that in the scheme of things, sport isn’t that important. It also accounts for a huge amount of unnecessary travel which has been a contributory factor both to the spread of the virus, and the damage being done to the environment.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

No way in hell will this result in rivals merging, would be like us merging with Millwall or Palace. I'd rather go bust.
    I was supposed to say lower down the football pyramid....but didn’t. The clubs I mentioned were for possible short term ground sharing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would expect about 25% of clubs will go to the wall if this season cancelled, an a lot of them will be in the Championship.
  • Options
    I think maybe a lot of people are realising that in the scheme of things, sport isn’t that important. It also accounts for a huge amount of unnecessary travel which has been a contributory factor both to the spread of the virus, and the damage being done to the environment.
    Also I don’t think football, as a whole, has covered itself in glory the past few weeks. At a time when ordinary people are concerned about their future and where the money to pay for the basics is coming from, (I think the future after lockdown will be shite beyond belief), we have all seen a reluctance from the top teams to join in the country’s current struggle. The likes of Spurs have shown their true colours and where their bread is buttered.
    I think football is coming closer to killing the goose that lays the golden egg. Personally I’d like to see at least a few premier clubs go into admin or worse. 

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Croydon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

What if we merge with Bayern Munich?

Talking of Germany, don't they only have two professional leagues?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Think any club that is formed from a merger will be hated by both sets of fans.
    Until they start winning
  • Options
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

A salary cap is something that should have been enforced many years ago. And that includes the premier league. 
    What happens if only the UK adopts it though?  All the best players would possibly go to Italy, Spain, France etc. and English clubs would wave goodbye to being competitive at European level and become Rangers and Celtic level.

Something would need to be done on global level by FIFA to ensure an even playing field and that organisation care about as much about the ethos of football and its fans over money as a Charlton owner.

Too many on the gravy train that the clubs, tv companies and players themselves will fight tooth an nail to resist it.

I would bet that a large percentage of unfashionable clubs including ourselves would be bid farewell down the swanny with little more than lip service before branch and root reform happens.

• Options
    Uboat said:
    Croydon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

What bus route takes me to the Allianz Arena from The Valley?
  • Options
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

A salary cap is something that should have been enforced many years ago. And that includes the premier league. 
    What happens if only the UK adopts it though?  All the best players would possibly go to Italy, Spain, France etc. and English clubs would wave goodbye to being competitive at European level and become Rangers and Celtic level.

Something would need to be done on global level by FIFA to ensure an even playing field and that organisation care about as much about the ethos of football and its fans over money as a Charlton owner.

Too many on the gravy train that the clubs, tv companies and players themselves will fight tooth an nail to resist it.

I would bet that a large percentage of unfashionable clubs including ourselves would be bid farewell down the swanny with little more than lip service before branch and root reform happens.

Which is why it will never happen.  The sports where it does happen and work, are all closed.  Ie the American ones and rugby league. It doesn't work in Union. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Uboat said:
    Croydon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

Not sure about that but Southeastern may have a route.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    I would expect about 25% of clubs will go to the wall if this season cancelled, an a lot of them will be in the Championship.
    what's the relevance / correlation of season being cancelled and clubs going to the wall, in your opinion @msomerton ?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

Bury dont play football these days and Rochdale is nowhere near Bolton. Be like us groundsharing with Watford.

The FA run the Premier League, they'll only ever agree to give sprinkles to the EFL.

im not trying to argue or gain brownie points, just making a working day during a pandemic go a bit quicker.
    Charlton isn't 40 miles from Watford, it's closer to 25. Also Bolton is 16 miles from Roledale. They are both miles apart.

Coming up 36 miles
    See. Screw you @Poplcon 😂😂😂
    Don't go via the north circular, take my route.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Uboat said:
    Croydon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

I'm not sure, but it's safe to assume that we've already missed the Larkfield departure.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    clb74 said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    A few ideas below

salary caps for players?

Coming up 36 miles
    See. Screw you @Poplcon 😂😂😂
    Don't go via the north circular, take my route.

I can’t do that. We are only allowed one hour of exercise a day, not 8.5
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    what's the relevance / correlation of season being cancelled and clubs going to the wall, in your opinion @msomerton ?
    That there would be television money available as games would be played behind closed doors. Or to look at another way the TV companies would have less reason to ask for money back. Secondly no football for this season will impact on the following season, as I will expect that it would then likely start behind closed doors as of course the covid19 virous would obviously still be rampaging through the country.
  • Options
    Behind closed doors makes sense at Prem level as the TV money far outstrips matchday income. It wouldn’t work outside Premiership though and clubs would have no means of funding their costs
  • Options
    Behind closed doors makes sense at Prem level as the TV money far outstrips matchday income. It wouldn’t work outside Premiership though and clubs would have no means of funding their costs
    As a short term measure until social distancing is over, the games wouldn’t have to be on sky but pay per view on clubs websites. Say Macclesfield v Grimsby would normally get a gate of 2,000. They game could be on macclesfields web site at a cost of say £10 per licence. I appreciate that shared licences would reduce the virtual gate but the other side is that away fans watching games at home on tv would increase. 
  • Options
    The appetite to tune in and watch behind closed doors games with no fans present will wane very quickly IMO - Even at Premier League level. 
  • Options
    One positive might be Liverpool throw it all away without that ‘famous anfield atmosphere’ 🤢
  • Options
    Football without a crowd isn’t really football.
  • Options
    Football without a crowd isn’t really football.
    We have known that at the Valley, for a few years now.....