Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What percentage of the 92 clubs...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Not sure this has been suggested or is indeed workable but here goes.
    The problem of team fitness, players out of contract etc make the end of this season's games a bit of a lottery.
    Scrapping this season would be unfair to the clubs at the top of the championship (although good for us).
    So, start playing in September, make the season stretch over years 19/20/21.
    Clubs would play their remaining games (9 in our case) and carry the points tally into next season making it effectively a 92 match season, with promotion and relegation at the end.
    Scrap the Johnson's paint trophy and the league cup (or whatever its called).
    I do wonder though if we will see competitive football played this side of Christmas and not sure how many clubs will actually survive including us.
    Burnley saying they will run out of money in August. 

• Options
    The problem of team fitness, players out of contract etc make the end of this season's games a bit of a lottery.
    Scrapping this season would be unfair to the clubs at the top of the championship (although good for us).
    Clubs would play their remaining games (9 in our case) and carry the points tally into next season making it effectively a 92 match season, with promotion and relegation at the end.
    I do wonder though if we will see competitive football played this side of Christmas and not sure how many clubs will actually survive including us.

The Burnley comment is worrying. I'd say Burnley is a similar sized club to us and I would have assumed that their relative success over the past few years would have given them some stability and financial security. Not so it seems. They spend relatively little on transfers, I would assume their wages bill is large but still small compared to the Premier giants, they get decent crowds and a decent TV handout, yet still they struggle.
  • Options
    Until the government says it’s ok for groups of what (34 players, 10 staff, 4 officials, 1assessor, 12? ballboys, 8? Ground staff, 12? Tv staff) = 70+ to gather in one space any discussion on behind closed doors football is moot.
    I can’t see any government allowing this sort of gathering for many months to come.
    I don’t think it’s going to happen.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Until the government says it’s ok for groups of what (34 players, 10 staff, 4 officials, 1assessor, 12? ballboys, 8? Ground staff, 12? Tv staff) = 70+ to gather in one space any discussion on behind closed doors football is moot.
    I can’t see any government allowing this sort of gathering for many months to come.
    I don’t think it’s going to happen.
    Nor me, September earliest 
  • Options
    Then how do they determine how many supporters are allowed in, and when?
  • Options
    Ffs. 
    All the while there are 50+ cases being reported there will be no one watching football 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Ffs. 
    All the while there are 50+ cases being reported there will be no one watching football 
    Correct.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I think this season has gone one way or another. I also don’t think the season 20/21 will go ahead and the next season to be played will be 21/22.
    As to the effect on clubs whilst I don’t know what it will be it can’t be anything but absolutely fundamental. There will be swathes of clubs in the lower leagues and non leagues going bust. Hopefully they will reform but I can’t see that as a priority for the country.
    My years of boycott broke my need for football every time I could go and think this will happen to many fans. The ties are unbinding.
    No way will the Premier league and EFL wait until August 2021 to get football going again.

There will only be a handful of premier league clubs left in existence by then if that's the case.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I think this season has gone one way or another. I also don’t think the season 20/21 will go ahead and the next season to be played will be 21/22.
    As to the effect on clubs whilst I don’t know what it will be it can’t be anything but absolutely fundamental. There will be swathes of clubs in the lower leagues and non leagues going bust. Hopefully they will reform but I can’t see that as a priority for the country.
    My years of boycott broke my need for football every time I could go and think this will happen to many fans. The ties are unbinding.
    No way will the Premier league and EFL wait until August 2021 to get football going again.

There will only be a handful of premier league clubs left in existence by then if that's the case.
    I don’t think it’s up to them. If there’s a second wave of the virus this autumn or winter - as is suggested by some virologists - my guess is on the nose.
  • Options
    more cheerful opinions/facts & figures from the BBC ..
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52275018