Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post covid-19 companies to use/boycott

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:
    This’ll be forgotten by most shortly after things get back to normal. Except by a few.

The whole concept is admirable but not workable. Look at the boycott numbers for Charlton and it’s obvious what will happen.
    I agree. In two months time I’ll be sitting in Starbucks looking at the sweat bands purchased from sports direct, planning what burger I’m getting for lunch in spoons! When I’m spoons, I’ll use the free WiFi to look at bargain virgin Atlantic flights. But you could have played along a little bit before saying that! 2 hours into the post! Disappointing 😂
  • Options
    I think it simplistic to paint goodies and baddies. Wetherspoon is UK incorporated and pays Corporation Tax for example unlike the multi nationals and big tech firms who move their money around the world to pay less tax.

• Options
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    How does Branson get away with convincing enough of the world that he is a decent bloke and not a capitalist?
    Nice beard.
  • Options
    How does Branson get away with convincing enough of the world that he is a decent bloke and not a capitalist?
    You can't be a capitalist and a decent bloke?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    McBobbin said:
    Timpson have been good to their staff. Doesn't surprise me, they do a lot right
    Puzzles me that Timpsons are shut though given that they have loads of key workers.....

(I'll get me coat)
    They’re on lockdown 
    You had to shoehorn that in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those Timpson workers must be really down at heel at the moment
  • Options
    To be fair there ain’t that many British companies that haven’t stepped up to the plate here. Whilst I am not a fan of either Branson or Phillip green, I’m not sure they have really don’t anything wrong or different to other smaller players. I think we just expect them to be stepping up not and doing the philanthropy thing, rather than furloughing and asking for bail outs from their private yachts and Islands. 
  • Options
    Think you'll find there a shed load of "capitalists" shovelling a lot of their resources into the aid effort on this, along with many other things that ain't related to C-19. 
    Being a “capitalist” and a good bloke are not mutually exclusive, either. 

But in answer to the original question: Branson has been openly used cannabis for years, so got a pass for a long time from the hippie left. 
  • Options
    The only thing I'll be able to afford from Rolls Royce when this is over, will be a ventilator......
  • Options
    I’m not going to say I’m boycotting any particular company, ordinarily people have to earn a living. It’s not their  fault the governor they work for is a Tim Martin or a Philip Green. 
    But saying that  will not forget or forgive some of the antics that certain individuals and companies have got up to in recent times. 
    The only time I use a Spoons pub is when I go to the NEC, it’s that or go without, I’m not that strong willed but it does remind me of how much I prefer the local free house near my work and the governor is a decent human being.
  • Options
    Think you'll find there a shed load of "capitalists" shovelling a lot of their resources into the aid effort on this, along with many other things that ain't related to C-19. 

But in answer to the original question: Branson has been openly used cannabis for years, so got a pass for a long time from the hippie left. 
    I never implied that they were
  • Options

For me, the question raised was about Branson and how he manages to come across with the identity of 'good bloke' before anything else when he is by 'trade' an investor/ entrepreneur/ capitalist. Seems the majority of you want to defend capitalism in response to the question. If we're going down that route I suggest we should consider the views of his workers as they make Branson his fortune.  The tax dodging probably follows as an irresistible extra.
  • Options
    I work for them and pretty pleased with what Barclays are doing here.  £100m for charities helping the vulnerable as the sector has, so far, not been covered by any government aid, free banking & overdrafts for small businesses.

https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/barclays-launches-100m-coronavirus-fund-charities/finance/article/1679766
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TelMc32 said:
    I work for them and pretty pleased with what Barclays are doing here.  £100m for charities helping the vulnerable as the sector has, so far, not been covered by any government aid, free banking & overdrafts for small businesses.

https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/barclays-launches-100m-coronavirus-fund-charities/finance/article/1679766
    The charity I work for has been approved to furlough up to 30% of the workforce.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I hope these shoe repair puns last.
    Yeh - nothing like a good sole 'n' eel to get CL groaning!
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Laughable really. Trial by social media based, it seems, on very little factual evidence either way.

Like Carluccio's, for example. They couldn't pay and went into administration, so no winners there at all.
  • Options
    I think it simplistic to paint goodies and baddies. Wetherspoon is UK incorporated and pays Corporation Tax for example unlike the multi nationals and big tech firms who move their money around the world to pay less tax.

But then boots staff with no money
  • Options
    shine166 said:

But then boots staff with no money
    Corporation tax is paid on profits not turnover. Agreed that  the likes of Starbucks reduce profits by charging the UK entitites to use their name and buy the coffee beans or book revenue through  luxembourg (Amazon) but the tax  structuring is  just a simple fact of dual taxation treaties across the world  with UK companies  doing the same overseas. 

Branson owns small percentages of companies bearing the Virgin name basically licencing a brand he started more than 50 years ago.  Virgin rail east coast was largely owned by Stagecoach, similalrly Virgin Atlantic has been majority owned by other airlines fr years. Virgin Radio is owned by News Corp. Not saying he is an angel and most people who have ever undertaken business with him count their fingers  after the event. Adding up the turnover of the Virgin Companies does not give an idea of his personal wealth but also doesn't mean he is poor.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Branson has given substantial sums to charities and schemes.
    An estimated $1.2-2 billion back in 2013
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sir-richard-branson-give-away-1721394

Founding the International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children was an excellent act. Eben put his mother on the board of directors.
    https://www.icmec.org/

His Virgin Money foundation is amazing, dedicated to regenerating communities.
    https://virginmoneyfoundation.org.uk/about-the-foundation/

Virgin Money Giving hitting the $1billion in fundraising
    https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/virgin-vergin-on-ps1billion-for-charity-881074913.html

Possibly some people think his Virgin Unite prooject makes him a good bloke?
    https://virginmoneyfoundation.org.uk/about-the-foundation/

or Virgin Start-up?
    Or the first charity he set up when he was 17?

• Options
    Stelios took a £60M dividend out of Easyjet but the airline won't refund customers or the travel trade and was showing April flights as "sold out" rather than cancelled.